Cruise or land?

islandmandan

My family of four are going to Bermuda in June. We have narrowed it down to either a NCL 7 day cruise (3 days in Bermuda) or a 5 day stay at Fairmont Southhampton resort. We have been on many cruises and love them and know from a value standpoint the cruise will win out, but we're concerned that we won't see and experience as much as we want if we opt for the cruise. I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks

I love cruising, but if this is your first time to Bermuda, I would suggest the 5 days at the Fairmont Southampton Princess. They have free ferry service to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess as well. The beach is beautiful and is located just west of Horseshoe Bay. I don't golf, but their course is beautiful, as are the hotel and grounds.

Try lunch, including Bermuda Fish Chowder at the Pickled Onion, on Front Street, in Hamilton. Dinner at Barracuda, in Hamilton, is also recomended.

One more suggestion, don't miss a hidden treasure in Hamilton. Fort Hamilton is an easy walk from Front Street. The fort is nice, but the botanical garden in the fort's dry moat is beautiful! No matter how you get there, enjoy your stay in Bermuda!

Eric

When you add on the cost of the flight, transfers, hotel prices and taxes, entertainment and the expensive Bermuda restaurants, you will probably pay half as much for a 7 day cruise as a five day Bermuda hotel stay. And you can still visit the same beaches and places of interest.

My family of four are going to Bermuda in June. We have narrowed it down to either a NCL 7 day cruise (3 days in Bermuda) or a 5 day stay at Fairmont Southhampton resort. We have been on many cruises and love them and know from a value standpoint the cruise will win out, but we're concerned that we won't see and experience as much as we want if we opt for the cruise. I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks

Last summer we had friends who spent 5 days at the Fairmont Southhampton the week before we cruised from Boston to Bermuda. Although they got a good airfare/hotel deal, the food, drinks, entertainment and transportation costs (if you opted not to use the free shuttle bus, etc.) were nearly as much as the initial trip costs. They said that the golf course was quite nice and suitable for golfers who might be more intimidated by some of the other Bermuda courses, but that some older teenage guests who played ahead of them once were very slow, and didn't display much golf etiquette. The said if they went again, they would probably cruise. (Our trip cost quite a bit less than theirs did.)

We also made a point to rent a scooter one day to visit some of the South Shore beaches, and we stopped for lunch at the Fairmont Southhampton. It was a great meal and a very lovely place.

One thing that I thought about was the ease of getting around from King's Wharf - you have ferries, buses, taxis, and scooters right there.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your replies. I think we are now leaning toward the cruise because of cost. I didn't realize how expensive food and drinks are in Bermuda.

We have friends who used to cruise but now fly and stay. They get a cottage with cooking facilities, take food items and even frozen meat, supplement with local groceries for breakfast and lunch, then eat dinners out.

A scooter is a must for them since they are not always close to the bus routes. By watching for deals on air fare, they say the cost is comparable to a cruise. However, they don't have breakfast and lunch done for them and they don't have night ship activities. I always forget to ask what they do in the evening since Bermuda does not have a lot, especially in the areas they stay.

I still would like to give it a try because of the time they are able to spend there.

Many years ago I did a week at the Hamilton Princess, which was fabulous, but the cost now has shot to the moon and would equal 2 cruises now.

Archived