central park to bayonne morning drive?

capt chaos

hello everybody i am staying in the central park area the night before i cruise out of bayonne. I"m leaving on a thursday morning lets say 8am how long approx would it take me to drive my car to the cruise ship terminal in bayonne?

Central Park is big - it makes a difference if you are on the west or east side. Mapquest is saying 32 minutes from Columbus Circle to Bayonne. At 8 am that would be optimistic.

Why don't you work backwards? What time do you want to arrive at the port? From the west side you basically get on West St and drive down to the Holland Tunnel, get on the NJ turnpike, and get off at exit 14A. 8 am seems a bit early to me - you should want to arrive between 10 and 11 am. I think they're doing construction around the Holland Tunnel, so you will need an update on that from a New Yorker.

It all depends on the state of the Holland Tunnel. We need an update on the current traffic status of the tunnel and the construction. Where exactly will you be on the Lower East Side? If you're on Houston St, you can get on the FDR drive south, go around the tip of Manhattan, and come up the west side to the tunnel. IMO it could be 30 minutes to an hour at 8 am.

Park Ave. and E. 62nd St. is the Upper East Side. I pulled up the Mapquest directions and wasn't real happy with them. If it were me, I'd go across E. 63rd St. and get on the FDR Drive south and stay on it as it circles around the tip of lower Manhattan and becomes West St, which leads directly to the Holland Tunnel. This route is longer, but is not a schlep through Manhattan on all local streets. It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with NYC, so this route would be the easiest once you get on the FDR Drive.

Perhaps one of the New Yorkers can comment.

Archived