Jeans on Pearl

stevenikkij

I know this question has been asked, but just making sure. My family and I are going on the Pearl to Alaska in July, we are trying to make some choices on packing. We have never been on Alaskan cruise or NCL, but have been on many Caribbean ones. We always dress up for dining for all of the nights, but we know packing will be limited. Can we wear jeans in the dining rooms, we want to dress up for 1-2 nights, but don't want to bring a bunch of extra stuff and not wear it. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks, Nikki

I think you should be fine. But here's what it says in my Welcome Aboard booklet for our Pearl Alaska cruise 08 May 2011:

"PLAN YOUR ATTIRE

Freestyle Cruising encourages relaxed attire. After all, you're on vacation. Even swimwear on with a cover up is okay at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for men; for women, pants or jeans, dresses, or skirts and tops are perfect. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

If you prefer to dress up when you dine out, we offer a formal night. Our onboard photographer is also available to capture moments like this for you. Also consider packing a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly."

This is our first NCL cruise, so I will defer to the more experienced NCLers. BUT one of the reasons we switched over to NCL from X and HAL is to partake in the freestyle concept. We're not big on over packing and I wear a suit everyday for work; I don't need to wear one while I'm on holiday.

Have a great time on your cruise!

You can definitely wear jeans in the MDR's on Pearl or any other NCL ship. I think the only no/no is ragged cutoff shorts. However, you won't be bringing those to Alaska.

Here's the thing about Alaska: It's cool there, even at the height of summer. You're going to be colder and chillier than you thought you ever could in July. Bring layers; lots of them. Bring at least one warm fleece. If you're going on excursions, bring a heavier, preferably waterproof jacket (yes, it rains a lot in southern Alaska in the summer). Bring gloves and a warm cap. Yes. Really.

We did Alaska on the Pearl in July and while we got very lucky and had no rain, there were some very chilly mornings and evenings. We opted for a front balcony suite just for the Glacier Bay scenery (and loved it!) but I can remember that morning, going into Glacier bay, making repeated trips back into the suite to put more and more layers on each time...I'm sure the crew up on the bridge was laughing!

So, since you need to bring all that other heavier clothing, it's going to limit your packing options for dressy or formal wear. I truly wouldn't bother with dress clothes, particularly for the Alaska cruise. And you may not want to worry too much about sun deck wear either, since the temperatures and chilly wind won't tempt you to lounge by the pool in a swimsuit.

We don't bring formal/dressy wear for any cruise on NCL. Neat casual is all we ever feel we need, but I know it's a personal choice. That's the nice thing about NCL Freestyle, you can dress up or down as you please.

You can definitely wear jeans in the MDR's on Pearl or any other NCL ship. I think the only no/no is ragged cutoff shorts. However, you won't be bringing those to Alaska.

Here's the thing about Alaska: It's cool there, even at the height of summer. You're going to be colder and chillier than you thought you ever could in July. Bring layers; lots of them. Bring at least one warm fleece. If you're going on excursions, bring a heavier, preferably waterproof jacket (yes, it rains a lot in southern Alaska in the summer). Bring gloves and a warm cap. Yes. Really.

We did Alaska on the Pearl in July and while we got very lucky and had no rain, there were some very chilly mornings and evenings. We opted for a front balcony suite just for the Glacier Bay scenery (and loved it!) but I can remember that morning, going into Glacier bay, making repeated trips back into the suite to put more and more layers on each time...I'm sure the crew up on the bridge was laughing!

So, since you need to bring all that other heavier clothing, it's going to limit your packing options for dressy or formal wear. I truly wouldn't bother with dress clothes, particularly for the Alaska cruise. And you may not want to worry too much about sun deck wear either, since the temperatures and chilly wind won't tempt you to lounge by the pool in a swimsuit.

We don't bring formal/dressy wear for any cruise on NCL. Neat casual is all we ever feel we need, but I know it's a personal choice. That's the nice thing about NCL Freestyle, you can dress up or down as you please.

We'll be cruising Alaska on the Pearl in September and I think we'll skip the dressy clothes as PP has stated. We'll each bring nice shoes to wear to dinner and nice tops as well but most of our bottoms will be jeans.

When cruising the caribbean on the Dawn, DH chose to wear nice jeans several times to various restaurants and had no problems, so I can't imagine it would be different this time.

We'll probably bring a pair of nicer pants for Cagneys or LeBistro though.

We opted for a front balcony suite just for the Glacier Bay scenery (and loved it!) but I can remember that morning, going into Glacier bay, making repeated trips back into the suite to put more and more layers on each time...I'm sure the crew up on the bridge was laughing!

quote]

I got such a chuckle out of this! The deeper you get into Glacier Bay the more clothes you need! First, I had a long sleeve shirt, then I added a scarf, then came a fleece shirt then came the ear muffs along with the gloves and a jacket! I was in and out of my cabin to the balcony several times trying to compensate for the change in temperature. But, it was beautiful and well worth it!

Wow- thanks for all of the responses all!! This will definitely help my crew. We are just so used to dressing up with our nice capri sets and high heeled sandals on all of those Caribbean cruises, we cannot fathom not wearing them on this Alaskan cruise.:D I will forward this thread to all of them, and maybe they will change their minds. thanks again!!!:)

And our Alaska cruise on the Pearl, first week of June two years ago, sunny, sunny, and warm. The locals couldn't believe the weather we had the entire week. Average day temps 75 to mid 80s and not a drop of rain. I need to go back now to see the real Alaska....but not complaining.

Archived