NYC to Bermuda - Which Line to Pick??

moltoitalian

Hi guys -

Me and my boyfriend (both mid-20 gay professionals) are looking to take a nice vacation this year. Although we've enjoyed a couple of short (4-5 day) cruises in the past, we have been looking for something a bit more exciting. In the past, they have been great times to just relax - soak up some sun and take a break from work - but we also are looking, especially this time around - to go out and meet some cool people.

Anyway - we've been looking at the trip from New York to Bermuda (and/or elsewhere) to save money on travel and enjoy the convenience of getting in a cab and arriving at our vacation! There are few options that we've been considering - but being new to the cruising with my boyfriend world - was wondering if any veteran gay cruisers can give advice as to where we'll have a better time!?

The first option is a 7 night cruise from New york to Bermuda on NCL's Gem - and although I notice the ship itself is pretty new - it seems very similar to many of their other ships - and not sure the type of crowd it'll draw?

Second is a 9 night cruise from NYC to Bermuda and southern caribbean (including san jaun and st. thomas) - which offers what sounds like a great route!! The price is right as well, however, being as we are both in our mid-20's, we do fear that Princess, is typically an older crowd?... in your experience - is this the case??

Also - neither of us have been to Bermuda and are excited to explore it - any tips or suggestions?? Any fun hot spots (especially if we do the cruise that docks over night) or what about beaches?

Any suggestions from recent cruisers about what to expect as far as other gays on board?

Thanks for the advice...

Steve

Steve,

My partner and I have been cruising to Bermuda once or twice a year since 2001 and are going back May 15th on Celebrity Summit and in September on Norwegian Dawn out of Boston. Living in central Connecticut makes it about the same distance to either port.

We do like "freestyle" dining on NCL. We tend to eat dinner later and I like being able to go when you want. Celebrity has "Select" which is similar in part of the dining room is set up for open dining. Never been on Princess, so I can't comment their, except I always envisioned an older crowd? I do expect our Celebrity cruise to be quieter than NCL. NCL has the White Hot party and if John Ibrihim was still the Cruise Director, it turned pretty gay. I understand he is no longer with NCL.:( So I guess I'm recommending the Gem!

As for Bermuda, its paradise! The ship docks the the Royal Naval Dockyard. You'll find shops, bars, glass blowing studio and other things. The Snorkel Park has a beach with a bar and a band at night.

For a real large beach, Horseshoe Bay beach is wonderful. It has changing rooms and food/drink available. Crystal Caves are very interesting to see and its near the Rum Swizzle Inn. Fabulous Rum Swizzle's and food.

Hamilton has Flanigan's Irish pub on Front Street. Great place to sit on the balcony and observe the people below. Great beer and food too.

Now I can't wait to get back after writing this!

We know the island pretty good and can answer any questions you have(hopefully):D

Paul

Thanks for the tips Paul - It is a tough decision - I guess it ultimately depends on who's on what ship - I did just come across though, a new contender - RCCL has the Explorer of the Seas leaving Jersey and doing a very similar route as the Princess (but for a little more money). I went on a voyager class ship last year and really enjoyed it and all the amenities which are now becoming industry standards. I always felt that RCCL was rather on par with the type of cruising environment i would like (age group and activities and so on) - but last year, I did not have luck meeting many other gays on board - but then again, we were not making much effort.

I'm very excited to see Bermuda - and that is certainly a perk of the NCL - because it spends the whole time there... but I have yet to go to the other ports the Princess and the RCCL go to. In Bermuda though - if I do only get there for 1 day - what is a must do??? I was thinking renting vespas and heading to a quiet beach and touring the island... What would be a great 'non-tourist' lunch destination???

I hope you and your and your partner enjoy the Summit this May! I'm sure you're very excited.

I know a few neighbors of mine that did the RCCL ship, Explorer of the Seas and they all said not enough time in Bermuda. I recommend the 3+ days the others do. Scooters are NOT recommeded. Factors being opposiste side of the road driving, traffic can be rough and being intimidated by a bus crawling up your backside, to name a few.:eek: Buy the transportation pass, good for all buses and ferrries. A must see, I keep coming back to Horeshoe Bay beach. If you go there, once on the beach walk to your left and go way down the beach, as the straight crowd always seems to huddle together at the beginning of the beach. As for restaurants. I mentioned two that I like. The Frog & Onion at the Dockyard is really good too. A couple places that I loved in St. George's are gone now. The locals are very friendly and can recommend something if you ask them. They are proud of their island home.

Hope this helps

Paul

Allen and I are doing our second Bermuda cruise in August for our 20th anniversary, on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne (Cape Liberty). We love the Celebrity M class ships, and are looking forward to both more sea days and more time in Bermuda than our 5 night cruise from Baltimore last November. And Bermuda is great for us as well:).

David

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!!

I think as of right now - we're leaning toward the RCCL Explorer of the Seas... And yes it does not give us nearly enough time in Bermuda - but that only gives us an excuse to go back very soon. We were just able to get a better deal for more days on that trip... and the more time in the sun and not at my desk at work, the better!!! I can't wait for Bermuda though - and cruise comfort in general!!

Congratulations D & A Delaware on your 20th. Looking forward to the Summit and If we like it as much as others, it'll be a tough choice in May 2012 as to which ship to go back to Bermuda on???

Moltoitalian, at least you'll get a taste of the island and hopefully you'll agree about how nice Bermuda really is.

Paul

We just booked the Gem on May 15th. Wanted a nice low key vacation and we usually go with NCL because of the freestyle and they are the most gay friendly. If you guys haven't booked yet - join us on the Gem !!

That sounds like a fun trip guys - but we were really aiming to be away during Memorial day (and save a vacation day from work) - so I dont think we'll be away on the 15th - but it certainly sounds like a good time - I hope you guys have fun!!

PS - if you don't mind me asking - what part of the government do you work for? My boyfriend lives/works in Philly for the government... he's a part of GSA.

I am sailing Celebrity's Summit on Memorial Day weekend (May 29).

I prefer the Celebrity ship over the Holland America Veendam. I loved the Veendam but after her refit I think they messed the ship up. The Summit also has a largr pool area and more things to do onboard.

As I have not been to Bermuda in years, I am curious as to how the island has changed.

There is a Pied Piper group on this sailing, so I already know there will be other family on board. I cant join in on their Pied Piper private functions, but figure I can meet fellow family passengers throughout the ship and perhaps site see with them.

Gee...since its now April I can finally say....next month I sail!

(it might be fun to meet family that are sailing on other ships in Bermuda that week at either a beach or a place to eat lunch...compare bermuda experiences!

Happy sailings everybody!:D

Tom

Department of Treasury here

That sounds like a fun trip guys - but we were really aiming to be away during Memorial day (and save a vacation day from work) - so I dont think we'll be away on the 15th - but it certainly sounds like a good time - I hope you guys have fun!!

PS - if you don't mind me asking - what part of the government do you work for? My boyfriend lives/works in Philly for the government... he's a part of GSA.

We loved the Explorer. It was an amazing ship. Great itinerary. We met some real get people that we are still friends with. The only thing we do not like about Royal Caribbean is they are not as gay friendly as NCL. NCL host each day the "friends of dorothy". Each time we were on RCL they didn't offer this.

also - Michael - I saw your past cruises - and that you went on the Explorer of the Seas back in... '06 - eastern Caribbean - what'd you think? A good itinerary? Good crowd?

Michael, now I wish I had booked on the Gem instead of the Celebrity Summit. We really like NCL also and they are gay friendly. As after a few drinks i have danced with the assistant Cruise Director on one cruise:rolleyes:....

We also leave on the 15th.

Paul

Archived