Balcony ???s

ednria

Good evening fellow cruisers;

We are in the preliminary steps of our first QM2 TA. I keep reading descriptions of the balconies as being either sheltered or glass enclosed.

What, exactly do the balconies look like? What is sheltered, and what is glass enclosed?

Additionally, we have been assigned cabin 11019. I have also read about the 12 deck overhang. What is that, and is 11019 affected?

Thank you for any assistance.

Ed

We are in the preliminary steps of our first QM2 TA. I keep reading descriptions of the balconies as being either sheltered or glass enclosed.

What, exactly do the balconies look like? What is sheltered, and what is glass enclosed?

Additionally, we have been assigned cabin 11019. I have also read about the 12 deck overhang. What is that, and is 11019 affected?

Ed

Hi Edrina. Sorry, but I don't understand. How were you assigned a cabin if you are "in the preliminary steps"?

Balcony cabins on deck 11 have a 'glass' front as opposed to B category cabins which are in-hull (sheltered, metal frame) and are on lower decks.

Just my personal suggestion, but since it's your first QM2 TA, may I suggest you book a B category cabin, mid-ship, in-hull (sheltered balcony). Of course, if you have previous experience of a trans-atlantic crossing and a higher deck works for you, please disregard my advice. Regards, S.

P.S. Oh please excuse me - I should have added that I have not taken a trans-altantic crossing. My comments were based on my personal experience of those QM2 voyages I have taken, combined with advice I've read on this forum by experienced Trans-Atlantic passengers. No doubt more experienced passengers will offer expert advice. Cheers -S

Ed

Salacia gives good advice on cabin choice, I also suggest that you go for a B grade cabin which will enable you to stand and get the fresh air. QM2 is a great ship but it sails at a little over 20 knots and when you combine this with the prevailing Atlantic breeze, most days you will experience a virtual wind of 45 knots. In my view this makes the glass fronted balconies impractical as they are open and exposed, the in hull style are more sheltered and you are able to use them in all weathers, except perhaps driving rain. The downside, upon which many posters dwell, is that when you are seated on the balcony you cannot view the sea, in order to do this it is necessary to stand. No big thing really. Another consideration might be that whilst QM2 is a very stable ship, the higher the cabin, the greater the motion. I like cabins deck 5 as there is the nearness of the ocean and the visible power of the waves, higher up I feel far more remote.

I've done TA's on Decks 10 and 9 in PG and QG,both with glass fronted balconies and have used them extensively each time..they really aren't that exposed.....

Next trip however is a B category on deck 6...

Glass balconies on deck 10 look like this:

PG1.jpg.978b5df1e6850e81daf3510227ce7ae3.jpg

PG.jpg.9f2dc935729da0544e371b369552b627.jpg

The balcony space on deck 11 is smaller, but the pictures give you an idea of what glass balconies are like. Avoid the overhang if you can, move forward towards the middle of the ship to do this. The overhang results in shade over deck 11 stateroom balconies (from our perspective from deck 10, as we leaned over the railing and looked up).

Ed

11 Deck is, in my opinion, one of the best of the Britannia grade decks. I have had 11 Deck staterooms on two transatlantic crossings, and they were fine during the crossings in terms of wind and spray. I recently had 11 Deck staterooms (11023 & 11036) on two Caribbean cruises during which we encountered heavy weather to/from New York. I was still able to step outside for a breath of fresh air (and to marvel at the seas) without being drenched or blow away.

The 12 Deck overhang begins with port stateroom 11056 and starboard 11081 and continues aft to the end of the deck. 11019 is not affected. Think of it as a large steel awning extending above and beyond the balcony below. Some people like it as it provides shade from the sun. It does obstruct some of the scenery. In the Norwegian fjords, for example, I was not able to see the tops of some of the mountains.

Enjoy the crossing.

Many thanks to all who have responded. The responses are very helpful.

For Salacia, I see you are correct, despite the dire warning, I did not make myself abundantly clear. We have just contacted our TA and she has reserved our cabin on the QM2 for the 8-28-12 eastbound. Given the long lead time, I just considered that a preliminary step.

For Margatebn, thanks, the photos were very helpful. The cabin/veranda is much like the arrangement on the Celebrity cabins we have occupied.

For Capnpugwash, et al, thanks for the info/concern over the wind, etc of the veranda so high and exposed, The better half and I discussed that, and agreed that was why we like to cruise to begin with.

Again, thanks for all the advice/comments.

Ed

Archived