My airline just went BUST!

django

Just heard on the radio that JETSGO has ceased operations. Now, we have a few weeks to sort out alternate flights, but I am sure it will cost me mega bucks. Need to talk to the tour operator & travel agent when they open to get some answers. Worst case scenario, I will drive from Toronto to Miami if I have to. Nothing is going to keep me from my cruise! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just heard it on the radio as well. 18 flights cancelled this morning at Pearson with passengers sitting there. NO ONE from airline there. Westjet stated they would help out some but Air canada Booked as its March Break. At least your not one at the airport right now! :mad:

The company said in its statement that consumers who have paid for Jetsgo tickets should communicate with the Canadian Transportation Agency or provincial consumer affairs ministries.

Call your agent first thing if you can get through.

Recent problems at the discount airliner built up something of a backlash against the company, even leading some travellers to launch a website - http://www.jetsgosucks.com.

You have a cruise to look forward to so hang in...

I was afraid to open this post. This happen to me wiith Southeast in Nov. Dec. had to rebook. I was afraid to read that Indepence air was the airline. I'm booked with them for next Friday. One more thing to stress about.

Hope all works out well. I've seen some decent prices online to Fl. lately. Please let us know how it works out.

Good Luck!

Yikes, i am a TA and heard this first thing this morning. i was so glad I didn't have anyone flying Jetsgo for the March Break. i do have snowbirds in Florida who I will have to make alternative arrangements for thou. I was so surprised to hear this this morning as we didn't have any indication this was coming. I actually got a group quote for September from them last week.

If I was booked I would be going nuts. Not at TA but at the airline. You have to ask yourself why close during busiest time . (March Break). Would be like a retailer closing just before XMAS. But hang on a retailer does not get paid up front but the airline got paid for the cancelled flights? hmmmm :mad:

Sorry judyf, didn't mean to scare anyone. I guess I am lucky, it could be me stuck at the airport with all those other folks. My heart goes out to them, I can't imagine the stress they are feeling about now. I have a general question for abbyndrewmom. What will my travel agent be able to do for me? Now I suppose she will find alternate flights but what about the amazing rate I paid when I booked last Nov? Shoud I expect to pay more? Thanks in advance for any info.

Just heard on the radio that JETSGO has ceased operations. Now, we have a few weeks to sort out alternate flights, but I am sure it will cost me mega bucks. Need to talk to the tour operator & travel agent when they open to get some answers. Worst case scenario, I will drive from Toronto to Miami if I have to. Nothing is going to keep me from my cruise! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jetsgo passengers with comments, questions or complaints are advised to contact the Canadian Transportation Agency (equivalent to the U.S. Department of Transportation) by phone at 1-888-222-2592, by facsimile at 1-819-953-8353, or by e-mail at www.cta-otc.gc.ca

Sorry judyf, didn't mean to scare anyone. I guess I am lucky, it could be me stuck at the airport with all those other folks. My heart goes out to them, I can't imagine the stress they are feeling about now. I have a general question for abbyndrewmom. What will my travel agent be able to do for me? Now I suppose she will find alternate flights but what about the amazing rate I paid when I booked last Nov? Shoud I expect to pay more? Thanks in advance for any info.

I am actually leaving for my cruise today (driving not flying) so I am not in the office and not sure what kind of arrangements are being made. The first thing I would do is check your travel insurance and see if you are covered for this kind of situation. The Ontario goverment does have a fund for this but it is hopelessly underfunded and you will probably only receive a small fraction of what you paid. I would call your TA ASAP and see what alternative options are available. You are lucky that you are going into Miami as a lot of the charter airlines fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale and you may still be able to get a good fare.

Sorry for all the inconvenience this will cause, I can honestly tell you your travel agents is probably as shocked as you are. We have seen nothing about Jetsgo being in trouble in the "trade" papers. I have been quoting Jetsgo prices for the last 2 weeks, glad no one bought any of the tickets.

Allison

Airline employees will also be afraid to open this, praying it's not their airline. Good luck with your new flight.

Wow...you're right. Somehow we always think about the travelers, not the people depending on their paycheck.

:(

From msn.ca .....

He said some ticketholders may be able to get refunds depending on how they booked their flights.

Some credit cards offer insurance premiums. As well, some provinces, including Ontario and Quebec, have compensation plans that cover tickets bought through travel agents....

.....WestJet and Air Canada have both said they will try to help stranded Jetsgo passengers. But it may be hard to find extra seats now, as families take to the skies for March break holidays.

Many passengers may also have to pay extra for new tickets.

In a statement on its website, WestJet said it "will provide stranded Jetsgo customers with special fares on confirmed seats in all markets served by WestJet and Jetsgo."

Air Canada has also said it won't be able to honour Jetsgo tickets.

"Air Canada regrets that no arrangements were made by Jetsgo that would enable Air Canada to accept Jetsgo tickets," a statement on the airline's website said.

Jetsgo said in a statement that passengers who had paid for tickets should talk to the Canadian Transportation Agency or provincial consumer affairs ministries.

Have talked to both my travel agent, and the tour operator that the travel agent used to book my flights. They are telling me to sit tight and I will be rescheduled on other flights. I am trusting what they tell me, as I really don't have any other choice. I am not due to fly until Mar. 31/05 to Ft. Lauderdale, so I have some time. I understand that they need to take care of the passengers due to fly this weekend, and the passengers that are stranded need to be helped. My problem is, I hope that they will take care of me and not, come Monday, say that I am on my own and have to rebook flights myself. At the moment there are flights available, albeit at a higher cost, but don't know what will happen if I wait. Any thoughts - what would you do?

We had flights booked for the summer that I paid for on my Visa. I talked to my Scotia Visa person this morning and they took all my information and indicated that once all the proper paperwork from Jetsgo was in place that they would process a refund. She didn't guarantee it but indicated there was a policy in place to cover events such as this. When AirTransat went under a couple of years ago many were reimbursed. Hopefully we won't have to go after the Ontario government to reimburse us. It could take forever.

but don't know what will happen if I wait. Any thoughts - what would you do?

If you want to call them on Monday...do so. If they give you "nonanswers", politely ask them what the situation is. And when they hope to resolve things. From what I've read, even they had no idea this was going to possibly happen.

steveNcindy, thanks for the heads up on the flights! If you could Email with where you got the information I would appreciate it. At the moment ...wing is telling me to sit tight, I will be rescheduled, but who knows... anything could happen. I don't really want to drive to Miami, but I will if I have to, just gives me a longer vacation. My Email is pigsear144@hotmail .com

dj

try www.spiritair.com

or

www.nwa.com

both fly to both ft lauderdale and miami.

I have found it is cheaper to fly to fll and car service (45 - 70 us$) to miami. Parking thru www.parknfly.com is about 80 US$ including hotel room the night before flight.

I will email you and if you need more info let me know.

steveNcindy, thanks for the information about flights. Hopeing I won't have to fly out of Detroit. At the moment travel agent is telling me to sit tight, I will be booked on alternate flights, just don't know when. Trying really hard not to be negative but hey, who could blame me. I wasn't even originally booked with Jetsgo, seems the tour operator switched my flights 2 days before they went bust, not nice! On top of that when I pushed my travel agent for answers today he made out like it was my fault for buying cheap flights. Heck, they were the ones who sold them to me. Anyway this saga will continue, I am sure. I will just enjoy my first drink on the Valor that much more.

dj - stay positive and hopefully it will all work out for you. My buddy and his family are on the Valor this week, I will give you a report when they get back.

I would be straightening out your TA though pretty quick lol.

Keep us posted.

Archived