Cabo Snorkel/Lover's Beach Question

spencer.kindt

Hi all!

I've tried searching for my answer, but couldn't find a whole lot, so I'm hoping for some help.

The Mrs. and I are going on the NCL Star this Saturday and we're so excited! We were hoping to snorkel in Cabo and I know Lover's beach isn't the most premier spot, we were thinking we would go there on our own and snorkel.

We don't have any snorkel gear -- is it fairly easy to rent snorkel gear off the pier and to get a water taxi? Just curious! Do water taxi driver's have/rent snorkel gear?

I also read somewhere that about 50 yards up the coast from Lover's Beach, there is a good place to snorkel, has anyone been there?

Thanks!

Hi all!

I've tried searching for my answer, but couldn't find a whole lot, so I'm hoping for some help.

The Mrs. and I are going on the NCL Star this Saturday and we're so excited! We were hoping to snorkel in Cabo and I know Lover's beach isn't the most premier spot, we were thinking we would go there on our own and snorkel.

We don't have any snorkel gear -- is it fairly easy to rent snorkel gear off the pier and to get a water taxi? Just curious! Do water taxi driver's have/rent snorkel gear?

I also read somewhere that about 50 yards up the coast from Lover's Beach, there is a good place to snorkel, has anyone been there?

Thanks!

Although I don't have an answer to the location you are referring to.....have you considered a day snorkeling trip through a local tour operator? We were there in January and had originaly wanted to do snorkeling on our own, but then came across the link for the Pez Gato. According to our children, it was the best part of the entire cruise. I believe the price was around $42/pp, which included snorkeling at Santa Maria Bay, lunch, open bar all day (bottled water, soda and alcohol included).

From the research I had done prior to the cruise, the snorkeling is not the greatest around Lover's Beach and anytyhing on the other side is dangerous...... just wanted to share our experience!

Enjoy your cruise and your time in Cabo :)

Hi all!

Thanks!

You are probably thinking of Pelican Beach. We were there in March and it was a fun snorkel. It does get crowded with people and boats. I don't know if the water taxi guys have gear to rent, but once you get out of the tender dock, you will have plenty of opportunities to get any tour you want.

We developed a good relationship with one of the tour operators there (used him twice before). When we were there, he hooked us up with beach chairs, cold sodas and a water taxi to and from the beach along with a tour of Lands End. His son was our tour guide and also snorkeled with us pointing out different marine life. Water was cold at the beginning, but we got use to it very fast. Let me know if you want his contact information.

You are probably thinking of Pelican Beach. We were there in March and it was a fun snorkel. It does get crowded with people and boats. I don't know if the water taxi guys have gear to rent, but once you get out of the tender dock, you will have plenty of opportunities to get any tour you want.

We developed a good relationship with one of the tour operators there (used him twice before). When we were there, he hooked us up with beach chairs, cold sodas and a water taxi to and from the beach along with a tour of Lands End. His son was our tour guide and also snorkeled with us pointing out different marine life. Water was cold at the beginning, but we got use to it very fast. Let me know if you want his contact information.

Ah yes that may be it... About how much did you spend? Ya that would be great! What's his contact information?

Ah yes that may be it... About how much did you spend? Ya that would be great! What's his contact information?

Contact Eduardo Martinez at bluebajaloscabos@hotmail.com

We paid $15 per person for the Land's End tour and snorkle at Pelican Beach.

When we were there on the Mariner, we went to Santa maria Cove (better snorkeling) and he charged us $40 for the day. Included boat and a guide as well as chairs/umbrellas and soda and water.

Tell him Russell Dean says hello. ( I have no vested interest in this except a good relationship with him.)

Email him and let him know what you what to do.

PS He takes cash only.

Santa maria Cove had more fish, less boats, calmer water and the floor did not drop off as quickly as Pelican Beach. If you are not a strong swimmer, choose Santa Maria and use a float. However it is about a 45 minute boat trip. Pelican Beach is five to ten minutes.

One advantage to Pelican Beach was the Glass Bottom Boat tours "chum" the water with tortillas, so you sometimes get into a fish feeding frenzy . . .kind of cool.

The sand at Santa Maria Cove was coarser. Pelican Beach was like brown sugar and Santa maria Cove was like 1/8 - 1/4 inch pea gravel.

Archived