Middle-school kids on Dream?

acmes

My daughter will turn 11 this summer and is interested in a disney dream cruise. To be honest, I'm not a huge disney fan and this would be our first cruise of any kind. How engaging is the ship and activities for this age-group? She's not interested in character meet & greets (unless Selena Gomez were aboard). We would sail in the summer so I assume the trips would be maximum kids and I'm hearing that the pools and Aqua-duck are really crowded. These are her primary areas of interest. Did anyone else with a mid-range kid find the Dream worthwhile.

My daughter will turn 11 this summer and is interested in a disney dream cruise. To be honest, I'm not a huge disney fan and this would be our first cruise of any kind. How engaging is the ship and activities for this age-group? She's not interested in character meet & greets (unless Selena Gomez were aboard). We would sail in the summer so I assume the trips would be maximum kids and I'm hearing that the pools and Aqua-duck are really crowded. These are her primary areas of interest. Did anyone else with a mid-range kid find the Dream worthwhile.

I'm thinking that if her main interests are the Aqua Duck & pools, Maybe a cruise isn't for you. You didn't say what your interests are or whether either of you have any interest in the ports. maybe you would be better off finding a nice resort with a great pool and water slide. Just my opinion.

We usually do travel that way, but she's always wanted to do a cruise (the other family members are opting out). I'm concerned that she's going to be so excited to go, fueled by the commercials and Suite LIfe on Deck. Then once we get on, the reality of the crowds and din (both of which she hates) will hit her and she'll be miserable. I have the option of doing a non-Disney cruise (cheaper and longer) to Bermuda (where we can do things like swim with dolphins and explore the island). We would be traveling during peak family time and I'm guessing the odds would be stacked against us.

For the next year, every week is peak as the Dream is sailing at or near capacity. Is there even space available? Does she like to do anything other than swim while on the ship?

FWIW, the pools on other ships won't be any better for swimming. Pools on cruise ships are for cooling off rather than for actual swimming.

Trying to avoid added airfare and hassle with summer flying. We live within 15 minutes drive of a cruise port. My problem is that I just want everything to be perfect for the birthday surprise.

Maybe it was a fluke but I was surprised to find availability on Dream for July. Price was high, but not crazy high. I did a double take.

I just hate to see you spend all that money just to have your daughter upset because the small pool is packed and she doesn't like the kids clubs and has no interest in the ports. Maybe instead of a surprise, you should discuss this with her. Or maybe you should pick another destination and let her bring a friend along.

Archived