F.O.S. compared to Disney

We've cruised only once with RCL on Liberty OTS and we felt the food there was the best of our 3 :o cruises thus far. But unless I can get those kids sail free deal on DCL which is usually sailing during low season, the price of a balcony cabin on a Freedom-class ship is about the same as a inside cabin on DCL Magic/Wonder, for equivalent itinerary. The gap in their prices narrows during low season. But for us, DCL is more about the total package they offer - Castaway Cay, characters, sail away party, firework, kids club, pirate nights, Disney shows, unlimited soda, bring your own alcohol onboard without limit, more characters, and the overall magical experience. wizard.gif

I understand that prices have gone up for everything, well so have the cruise fares.

This is where I disagree. I don't cruise frequently, but my cruise history spans almost a decade. I can tell you that I took a 5-night Western cruise on Monarch in 2002, for 2 passengers, for only $150 less than my 7-night Eastern on Freedom OTS for 3 passengers this year. When we booked in 2009, we were astonished by how low cruise fares were. They have rebounded slightly, but I think it is definitely not fair to say that cruise fares have gone up - in my experience, they have dropped significantly.

Yes, quality has suffered as a consequence, but I just don't think it's correct to say that quality has fallen as prices have risen. Now, I do think the cruise lines have found many more ways to recoup those lower fares through added-fee options like dining, private islands, etc. But objectively, fares for most ships (Oasis/Allure are a bit of an anomaly) are much lower.

Archived