Christmas on a cruise?

PreciousMissy

Hi all!

I've heard cruise ships can be packed when kids are on break out of school since it is an opportune time. Is this true for Christmas, too? I have a feeling I am going to love cruising after my first one next week, and am trying to convince my boyfriend that he'll probably like it :rolleyes:.

I am not particular on the ship, but I know that the casual atmosphere of NCL will be more to his liking.

Can you please tell me if there is one particular ship in the fleet that typically does not experience the holiday rush as much as the others?

Lots of kids on every Christmas cruise we have taken, but European and very long cruises (14 days or so) tend to attract less children, Caribbean and 9days or less attract more. You should expect to pay out a lot of $$$ for a Christmas cruise; we have found they are generally about twice the cost of nthe week before Christmas or the week after New Years.

Robin

We've done a Christmas Cruise and a New Year's Cruise (with 4 teenagers in our group), but not on NCL. Princess for Xmas did have a great number of kids on it. HAL a good number of kids for New Year's, but not what other cruise lines have. Both cruises were so festive in decorations and activities, so I'm sure you'll enjoy no matter which ship you choose. Particularly nice was singing holiday songs on Christmas Eve in the atrium with "fake" snow falling.

Hi all!

I've heard cruise ships can be packed when kids are on break out of school since it is an opportune time. Is this true for Christmas, too? I have a feeling I am going to love cruising after my first one next week, and am trying to convince my boyfriend that he'll probably like it :rolleyes:.

I am not particular on the ship, but I know that the casual atmosphere of NCL will be more to his liking.

Can you please tell me if there is one particular ship in the fleet that typically does not experience the holiday rush as much as the others?

My favorite type of cruises are the christmas ones! Since majority of the cruises I've been on were while I was in high school, I know that while there is a lot of kids and a big enough group to hang out with it was less than say a Feb school vacation or April vacation crowd! Even now as an adult I still love them. They have a ton going on for adults, caroling, hot cider, tree lighting, and for those who religious they have services, and those who miss Santa he's there with gifts too! Everyone seems to be cheery and I feel that as a child raised Jewish it was not overwelhming either. We loved it! I've also done Disney, Key West, Paris, and lots of ski resorts the same week and Cruises are my favorite!

We have just booked the NCL Sun for Dec 24-31 2011. This will be our 1st Christmas cruise on NCL. I would love to hear about the ships entertainment, decorations, anything having to do with Christmas. Also ,would love to see pictures ! Do they allow tiny Christmas trees ? What about lights on your balcony ?? Does Santa bring a gift for the kids ? Any Christmas activities for the adults ??

We have just booked the NCL Sun for Dec 24-31 2011. This will be our 1st Christmas cruise on NCL. I would love to hear about the ships entertainment, decorations, anything having to do with Christmas. Also ,would love to see pictures ! Do they allow tiny Christmas trees ? What about lights on your balcony ?? Does Santa bring a gift for the kids ? Any Christmas activities for the adults ??

We were on the Sun a few years ago for Christmas, a very nice trip. The ship had several Christmas trees and even more gingerbread houses. Santa made the rounds on Christmas Eve and I am sure they had events for the kids with him, plus caroling (for the whole family), etc, but we we without young kids so we didn't attend any events. We asked about getting a tree in our OS, but was told no as they don't allow the lights for safety (fire) reasons. This was whether it was supplied by them or brought from home - we even asked about bringing a fiber optic lit tree, still told no. Our butler brought us a small gingerbread house though, very cute.

On our Christmas cruises, I have always brought a few traditions, like "the Night Before Christmas" and "Polar Express" for our Eve readings, our "Lollipop House" that Santa fills, Santa hats, and our stockings with small, fun gifts that are easy to pack. We bring these things every year, as we haven't been home for Christmas Day in over 10 years.

Robin

Hi all!

We went on the Wind (now retired) years ago on Christmas and it is a VERY fond memory. Not packed with kids but it was a 10 day cruise so maybe less kids. But, it was a wonderful memory. On Christmas day in Hawaii waters. AWESOME~

Archived