Attn: Dubrovniktravelady - wheelchairs

I am a full-time wheelchair user but will have someone else helping me. I know that using a wheelchair in Dubrovnik will be very challenging. Can you give me some tips about how best to see Dubrovnik from a wheelchair? Thanks in advance.

saw a few tourist in wheelchairs,,,they had the small,collapsible type,,,that could fit in shuttle bus to old town,,,while there,,,they were pushed,,,slowly,,and somewhat bouncy over cobbled streets,,etc...most sights in old town have steps,,or stairs,,but can see small shops,have nice lunch near port,,get feel for city...just not climb the famous wall,,,,hope that helps,,,hope you have a good time...do wear hat,and sunscreen,,,;)

In actuality Dubrovnik will be extremely easy for a wheelchair user. It is flat, flat, flat other than the wall around the historic center. There are no cars in the walled interior so it is great for pedestrians and for wheelchairs. You will enjoy Dubrovnik. Even the modern part of the city is lovely and flat.

I am a full-time wheelchair user but will have someone else helping me. I know that using a wheelchair in Dubrovnik will be very challenging. Can you give me some tips about how best to see Dubrovnik from a wheelchair? Thanks in advance.

My niece is also in a wheelchair, so I know and understand your needs. Do you have a slide board and know how to use it? Can your helper get you from the chair into a taxi? If so, then you should hire a taxi to do a nice panorama around the town and from the highway above to the viewpoint. If not, then how will you be transported from the port to the old town, the walk is not easily done pushing a chair as there is too much uphill to reach old town.

Once you are at the Pile entrance into the old town, wheelchair accessibility is easy to do on many of our streets. The entire town is not flat, as Dubrovnik is built on the side of a mountain. Therefore those streets nearest to the mountain have many steps. You need to stay on the main promenade or side streets, which are wide enough to accommodate the wheelchair and they are towards the sea side of the Stradun.

Many of our historical sights are 2 or 3 floors high and you would not be able to get up those steps. Walking around in the old town with a chair is not difficult, there are some minor cracks and crevasses but most of the time you will be fine.

Yes the town is car free, except for emergency vehicles, and the interior of old town will be an easy walk. Make sure your tires are filled properly for walking on the old stones, I can't remember if they should be hard or soft. I am sure you have this knowledge and did you bring a small air pump to refill tires if necessary?

Please do not hesitate to post again with all your specific questions. Also let me know your exact arrival date, I want to check how many cruisers will be in town. You will be able to enjoy much of the old town.

My niece is also in a wheelchair, so I know and understand your needs. Do you have a slide board and know how to use it? Can your helper get you from the chair into a taxi? If so, then you should hire a taxi to do a nice panorama around the town and from the highway above to the viewpoint. If not, then how will you be transported from the port to the old town, the walk is not easily done pushing a chair as there is too much uphill to reach old town.

Once you are at the Pile entrance into the old town, wheelchair accessibility is easy on many of our streets. The entire town is not flat, as Dubrovnik is built on the side of a mountain. Therefore those streets nearest to the mountain have many steps. You need to stay on the main promenade or side streets, which are wide enough to accommodate the wheelchair and they are towards the sea side of the Stradun.

Many of our historical sights are 2 or 3 floors high and you would not be able to get up those steps. Walking around in the old town with a chair is not difficult, there are some minor cracks and crevasses but most of the time you will be fine.

Yes the town is car free, except for emergency vehicles, and the interior of old town will be an easy walk. Make sure your tires are filled properly for walking on the old stones, I can't remember if they should be hard or soft. I am sure you have this knowledge and did you bring a small air pump to refill tires if necessary?

Please do not hesitate to post again with all your specific questions. Also let me know your exact arrival date, I want to check how many cruisers will be in town. You will be able to enjoy much of the old town.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. To respond to a few queries:

Do you have a slide board and know how to use it? Can your helper get you from the chair into a taxi? If so, then you should hire a taxi to do a nice panorama around the town and from the highway above to the viewpoint. If not, then how will you be transported from the port to the old town, the walk is not easily done pushing a chair as there is too much uphill to reach old town.

Yes, my traveling companion will assist me with transfers into and out of the taxi. Hiring a taxi for a panoramic tour is an excellent idea -- thank you.

Make sure your tires are filled properly for walking on the old stones, I can't remember if they should be hard or soft. I am sure you have this knowledge and did you bring a small air pump to refill tires if necessary?

I actually changed out my tires to those not requiring air. No flat tires for me!

I will be in Dubrovnik on August 8. One more question -- is the cable car able to be accessed in a wheelchair? Thank you!

You might ask your taxi driver to take you up rather than the cable car. It is the getting to the entrance which may be tricky for you. There would be several places with no sidewalk and you and companion will be on a busy road. With a driver he can use the old road to get you to the top and will wait while you check out the views. If you want to use the cable car, then ask your driver to drop you there and pick you up again, not worth the money he would charge for waiting or coming back. Better to drive up. Your wheels are set for hard pavement, good. With a little help you will be able to enjoy much of the old town and also the view from the mountain top. I commend you and your efforts. Have a great time here.

Archived