Photo Storage?

I'd rather not take a laptop with us on our cruise to Alaska this July. My camera uses a CF card. Although I plan on taking plenty of cards with me, I'd like to learn whether there is some form of external hard drive - or other device - I could use to transfer the images to at the end of each day.

Any ideas?

Thank you once again!

Ollie.

I'd rather not take a laptop with us on our cruise to Alaska this July. My camera uses a CF card. Although I plan on taking plenty of cards with me, I'd like to learn whether there is some form of external hard drive - or other device - I could use to transfer the images to at the end of each day.

Any ideas?

Thank you once again!

Ollie.

I did a quick search over at B&H [external photo storage] and got this as the first result. 'Digital Foci 500GB Photo Safe'

A few options - portable harddrive storage systems like the one mentioned above, a cheap netbook (much smaller than a notebook), a transfer cable/card reader that can plug into an iPod, iPad, or Smart Phone to use that device for storage, if you have one with you anyway...or a portable CD burner with a card reader. All of those might work for you.

Personally, I picked up a Netbook last year for just that reason - I didn't feel like bringing a laptop when I travel, but still enjoy the occasional convenience of accessing internet, checking e-mail, and most importantly, backing up photos to the harddrive. You can get netbooks for under $300 with 160GB harddrives and built-in card readers, and can make multiple copies of everything by bringing an extra thumbdrive or two, or spare memory cards, along, using the netbook to copy and transfer.

In 2007 we had an 11 night cruise in the Easterm Med. I take a LOT of pictures and did not want to lug a laptop.

My solution was to buy an 80 gig IPod and the photo. Attachment that connected the camera to the iPod. I have been doing that ever since.

The iPod acts like a huge hard drive but is much more convenient. If you are shooti g in jpg, you can even view the photos.

• 1 month later...
Know it cost more but the Ipad is great to store, till you get home. I enjoy showing a viewing my photos on the large screen.

Still have to go with the netbook. Same 10" screen, vastly more storage and easy usb connectivity. Plus, it has a keyboard for easy renaming or adding commentary.

iPads are great viewers and browsers but have too many limitations in the storage and connectivity department for my taste.

Dave

I transfer to the computer (netbook), but save/keep the cards until we get home (so I have back-up). When we return from vacation I again transfer from the cards to our home computer and than back up on a WD external hard drive. We than delete (most) of the photos off of the netbook.

A 10" netbook is what I use as well. I upgraded it to a 500Gb drive for about $50 for more photo storage. In reality, it's not much different in size than an iPad.

I run Ubuntu on it and I can also run Gimp, which is a photo editing software. While I don't really intend on editing any photos on a cruise, it does give me the option of reducing the file sizes if I want to post photos on Facebook for my family to be jealous (especially when I am in the Caribbean and they are stuck in Michigan in the winter time).

At any rate, while netbooks are usually notoriously slow, Ubuntu is a form of Linux, and it runs respectively fast; even on a netbook.

And it's light; portable; and for under $300, it's not a big deal if it gets damaged, lost, or stolen. Mine is an Acer Aspire One.

Well, I didn't want to wait for the netbook to boot up and it's bigger than portable storage... So I got myself the HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive. Works great for my trip! The one I got is in this link but I bought it from a local dealer instead of getting it from hypershop. I bought it like 2 days before my flight!

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-750GB-p/iphd-750.htm

I transfer to the computer (netbook), but save/keep the cards until we get home (so I have back-up). When we return from vacation I again transfer from the cards to our home computer and than back up on a WD external hard drive. We than delete (most) of the photos off of the netbook.

I'll second that!:) (except I use a laptop only cause I don't own a netbook) I too can never bring myself to clear my cards, unless I have too...figure thats the point of "backing" my shots up on the laptop!

Did get an Ipad for Christmas...still trying to get comfortable with it thou..., old dog/new tricks...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I finally decided upon a Toshiba NB505 netbook. It seems to fit the bill well and appears to do what I want it to.

awboater - would you please let me know more about Ubuntu - do you use that as your operating system - and if so, do you delete applications that came preloaded on the netbook?

Thanks again,

Ollie (18 days and counting until the Golden Princess!):)

Archived