Solo in Bermuda. Suggestions for lunch, shopping and entertainment

bernnj

Greetings,

I will be exploring Bermuda in a few weeks and would like some suggestions as to what to see when I am there. Our ship is docked for 1.5 days and I was hoping to see Hamilton and St. George while I am there. I thought that my second day should be spent closer to the dockyard as the ship sails at 2PM.

Where for lunch, Hog Penny Pub or Swizzle Inn??

I understand there is a festival the evening that we are docked overnight so that takes care of that evening.

Greetings,

I will be exploring Bermuda in a few weeks and would like some suggestions as to what to see when I am there. Our ship is docked for 1.5 days and I was hoping to see Hamilton and St. George while I am there. I thought that my second day should be spent closer to the dockyard as the ship sails at 2PM.

Where for lunch, Hog Penny Pub or Swizzle Inn??

I understand there is a festival the evening that we are docked overnight so that takes care of that evening.

So many views but no replies:( Guess the word "solo" is frightening everyone out there. But I am harmless:)

Depends on what, exactly, you'd like to do. Are you into beaches, a history buff, etc.?

Also, both Swizzle and Hog Penny have good pub food for a reasonable price. If you are near the Caves, go to Swizzle for lunch, if you are in town, go to Hog Penny - both are equally as nice, I think.

Bermuda is great for exploring solo, just depends on what you are hoping to see/do while you are here.

Depends on what, exactly, you'd like to do. Are you into beaches, a history buff, etc.?

Also, both Swizzle and Hog Penny have good pub food for a reasonable price. If you are near the Caves, go to Swizzle for lunch, if you are in town, go to Hog Penny - both are equally as nice, I think.

Bermuda is great for exploring solo, just depends on what you are hoping to see/do while you are here.

Thank you sousak78

I have beautiful beaches here in South Jersey although the water is not as blue/green in Bermuda. I would like to explore the flavor of Bermuda, history, churches, shopping for things that are made by Bermudians, etc.

With what they are saying about the bus situation, perhaps I should take the ferry and avoid the crowds when the ship arrives.

Thank you again.

Thank you sousak78

I have beautiful beaches here in South Jersey although the water is not as blue/green in Bermuda. I would like to explore the flavor of Bermuda, history, churches, shopping for things that are made by Bermudians, etc.

With what they are saying about the bus situation, perhaps I should take the ferry and avoid the crowds when the ship arrives.

Thank you again.

Hello Fellow New Jersey resident!

Bermuda has a lot to offer. There is a beautiful church in Hamilton (I don't know the name of it, and frankly have never been inside)...as well as shopping, forts everywhere on the island, and the Dockyard has the glass works along with other shops, a museum (which DH visited and LOVED)....

No shortage of things to see.

As a solo traveller, you may find it easier to take the ferry or bus, as you don't 'require' a bunch of seats at once (kind of like at Disney World....where they always look for solo riders). You might also want to keep an ear out for couples/small groups heading where you want to go who are willing to share a cab. I've done that once or twice and it's worked out well....

You'll love Bermuda.

:)

Sandi

Hello Fellow New Jersey resident!

Bermuda has a lot to offer. There is a beautiful church in Hamilton (I don't know the name of it, and frankly have never been inside)...as well as shopping, forts everywhere on the island, and the Dockyard has the glass works along with other shops, a museum (which DH visited and LOVED)....

No shortage of things to see.

As a solo traveller, you may find it easier to take the ferry or bus, as you don't 'require' a bunch of seats at once (kind of like at Disney World....where they always look for solo riders). You might also want to keep an ear out for couples/small groups heading where you want to go who are willing to share a cab. I've done that once or twice and it's worked out well....

You'll love Bermuda.

:)

Sandi

Thank you so much Sandi for this information. I have visited Bermuda about 4 times before, once with a girlfriend when I was only 19, once on a cruise way back on the Nordic Prince (I'm dating myself here), once on a trip hosted by a famous DJ, and once on a day trip out of Phila. with my daughter (one day trip...that was a rarity). But it has been years!! Now I am a solo cruiser (this will be my 3rd solo cruise), I consider these cruises all adventures!!

Thank you again neighbor:)

I like the Lemon Tree cafe for lunch but you have to be early as it's popular with the bermuda business crowd and they run out of the best stuff fast. not too thrilled with the swizzle inn, seemed like a tourist trap, but i like hog penny. hope you get to spend some time in st. georges. it's my favorite place. be sure to visit unfinished church. st. georges is great for walking tours.

You'll find most of what you are looking for in St. Georges. There's the Unfinished Church and St. Peters Church to explore, plus lots of forts. Try and get on guided walking tour - they're free and you'll get loads of info. They do run daily, unfortunately, I'm not sure what time they start - I'll see if I can call the Visitors Bureau tomorrow and ask about times. If you miss the guided tour, pick up a walking tour map from the Visitors Service Bureau and do it on your own.

The ferry to St Georges would be your best bet - it's the fastest way to get there, regardless of the bus situation.

Bermuda, unfortunately, is not a place for shopping, however, at the Craft Market in Dockyard, you'll find loads of items made by locals for sale (without the pushy salespeople!) - items such as jewellery, jams & rum cakes, items made of cedar, watercolours, etc. There's also the Bermuda Clayworks with nice pottery pieces and the Dockyard Glassblowing Factory with handmade glass items and they do all of their work out in the open so that's a sight in itself. The Street Festival will have loads of vendors selling local crafts as well.

Enjoy Bermuda!

You'll find most of what you are looking for in St. Georges. There's the Unfinished Church and St. Peters Church to explore, plus lots of forts. Try and get on guided walking tour - they're free and you'll get loads of info. They do run daily, unfortunately, I'm not sure what time they start - I'll see if I can call the Visitors Bureau tomorrow and ask about times. If you miss the guided tour, pick up a walking tour map from the Visitors Service Bureau and do it on your own.

The ferry to St Georges would be your best bet - it's the fastest way to get there, regardless of the bus situation.

Bermuda, unfortunately, is not a place for shopping, however, at the Craft Market in Dockyard, you'll find loads of items made by locals for sale (without the pushy salespeople!) - items such as jewellery, jams & rum cakes, items made of cedar, watercolours, etc. There's also the Bermuda Clayworks with nice pottery pieces and the Dockyard Glassblowing Factory with handmade glass items and they do all of their work out in the open so that's a sight in itself. The Street Festival will have loads of vendors selling local crafts as well.

Enjoy Bermuda!

Thank you again. I only have 1.5 days of time in Bermuda as I believe the ship sails out of Bermuda on Tuesday the 17th of this month at 2PM. If I don't get to Hamilton during my stay in Bermuda, where is a good place for lunch in St. Georges?

Archived