Taxi to Brooklyn cruise port

davedj

I know this question has been asked before, but can"t find it. Approx., what is the taxi fare from Times Square NY to the Brooklyn Cruise Port for 2 people.

Thanks for your help

Hi Davedj. The fare is variable. Cab meters don't just measure miles, but also time spent in the cab. So if you hit traffic, the fare increases. I think you might find this website helpful in calculating fares: http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

Alternatively, you might want to consider calling for car service from mid-town Manhattan to Red Hook.

If you hail a cab, you might want to take directions with you in case the cabbie doesn't know the way to the Redhook Terminal.

I know this question has been asked before, but can"t find it. Approx., what is the taxi fare from Times Square NY to the Brooklyn Cruise Port for 2 people.

Thanks for your help

Assuming that traffic is moving and not gridlocked, the fare will be between $35 and $50. You will be able to get a car service for a similar amount and the car will be clean, your luggage will fit into a clean trunk without oily rags and spare wheels and the driver should know where Red Hook is. I use Arecibo Cars who are Brooklyn based, call them about 15 minutes before you need them (718) 783-6465 www.arecibocc.com

assuming that traffic is moving and not gridlocked, the fare will be between $35 and $50. You will be able to get a car service for a similar amount and the car will be clean, your luggage will fit into a clean trunk without oily rags and spare wheels and the driver should know where red hook is. I use arecibo cars who are brooklyn based, call them about 15 minutes before you need them (718) 783-6465 www.arecibocc.com
i haven't seen oily rags or spare tires in any of the cars at redhook.. There are numerous yellow taxis that run on meters, in new york city you are alot of options and they are all good.

i haven't seen oily rags or spare tires in any of the cars at redhook.. There are numerous yellow taxis that run on meters, in new york city you are alot of options and they are all good.

Anchor guy, speaking as a native New Yorker, I agree that there are many options regarding transport to the RedHook Terminal from Manhattan. But I respectfully disagree with your statement that "they are all good".

We drive to the terminal, and park in the lot (and yes, we have a spare tire in our trunk :)) However, if Himself didn't feel like driving to the Terminal, I would call for a car from a reputable car service rather than hailing a yellow taxi or taking the subway, bus, or - worse yet- an unmetered/unlicensed cab.- Just my personal opinion. -S.

i haven't seen oily rags or spare tires in any of the cars at redhook.. ...in new york city you are alot of options and they are all good.

A couple of years back I tried to get a taxi from my hotel on 7th Ave to Redhook.

The first taxi driver hailed by the hotel staff opened the luggage area for my cases to reveal a small repair shop of oily tools and other junk, but when told "Redhook, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal please" said he had no idea where that was and so I got out again.

The second cab did know where to go, he said, and presented a similarly decorated luggage compartment, he could barely get both cases in amongst the various piles of tool boxes and cans.

During the ride across the Brooklyn Bridge I could see Queen Mary 2 in the distance, looking amazing in the morning sunlight.

After we reached Brooklyn the driver seemed to lose his way. He looked this way and that at road signs.

I repeatedly pointed out the highest object on the horizon with the big red funnel on the top as a clue to the direction I thought we should be taking.

We got within sight of the Terminal and he informed me that this was as far as he could go. I insisted he drive closer as I had cases and carry-ons with me. Reluctantly he did but stopped again at the entrance to the parking area. Once again I had to insist he take me TO the Terminal as I had booked him to do. He couldn't get my cases (now decorated with oil stains) out of his car fast enough and was gone in a flash at the sight of uniforms and officials.

Next time I shall be following the good cap'n advice.

A couple of years back I tried to get a taxi from my hotel on 7th Ave to Redhook.

The first taxi driver hailed by the hotel staff opened the luggage area for my cases to reveal a small repair shop of oily tools and other junk, but when told "Redhook, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal please" said he had no idea where that was and so I got out again.

The second cab did know where to go, he said, and presented a similarly decorated luggage compartment, he could barely get both cases in amongst the various piles of tool boxes and cans.

During the ride across the Brooklyn Bridge I could see Queen Mary 2 in the distance, looking amazing in the morning sunlight.

After we reached Brooklyn the driver seemed to lose his way. He looked this way and that at road signs.

I repeatedly pointed out the highest object on the horizon with the big red funnel on the top as a clue to the direction I thought we should be taking.

We got within sight of the Terminal and he informed me that this was as far as he could go. I insisted he drive closer as I had cases and carry-ons with me. Reluctantly he did but stopped again at the entrance to the parking area. Once again I had to insist he take me TO the Terminal as I had booked him to do. He couldn't get my cases (now decorated with oil stains) out of his car fast enough and was gone in a flash at the sight of uniforms and officials.

Sounds like a plan :) (I'd do the same)

Edited to add: many people who live in NY (not just cab drivers) are unfamiliar with the RedHook Terminal. Suggestion: take a print out of directions to the terminal whatever mode of transport you arrange.

You obviously have never looked inside the trunk area of many NY yellow cabs.

Google NYC Taxi Commissioner, Lodge your complaint......Go to the source for information

Thanks for your help

+++++++

I just made a similar trip from Red Hook to E 72 on Apirl 26, about the same length or maybe a bit longer than yours, and the fare with tip was $30 and no toll as we went across the Brooklyn Bridge. There is no surcharge for two passengers nor for baggage.

It should cost no more than about $30 by yellow cab from midtown Manhattan to the Red Hook Brooklyn Pier. Limos you call may charge more but you should still have the directions with you.

Always have the directions with you because some cabs honestly don't know where it is.

From the East Side take the east side Highway to the Brooklyn Bridge take the first exit off the Brooklyn Bridge(no toll) and make the right going down Fulton Street- Don't get on the highway at the end make a left on Furman Street take that to the first light at atlantic avenue and follow the highway around at the third light make a right(its the first place you can make the right) follow that street around it becomes Van Brunt street at the second light(Bowne Street) make a right into the cruise terminal.

There are blue signs indicating Brooklyn Cruise terminal at some of the turns...

from the west side go to the west side highway- west street Make a left follow that down to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel(toll posted is $6.50 but with an ezpass required in a cab its $4.80). Take the Hamilton Avenue exit right after the tolls make two quick lefts careful NOT to get back into the Tunnel...go straight ahead to the light at Van Brunt make the left and then first right into the cruise terminal

The pier is immediately behind the Brooklyn exit/entrance to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel

A new york yellow cab is required to take you. The minimum fine for a refusal is $300. You can file a complaint on line and you do NOT have to appear for the hearing although they will contact you by telephone.

to file a complaint the minimum information you need is the Taxi's medallion number (which appear on the light on the roof of the cab- on the license plate and is on the side of the cab and is in the cab in a plate on the back of the seat marked and in braille!) the time, date and place.

Its helpful to have the drivers name and number but not required

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/sub_consumer_compl.shtml

or if you are in NY you can call 311 and do it by telephone. there is a number from outside NY I just don't know it.

Thanks for your help

forget the cab. best thing to do is call a car service (such as dial 7, 212-777-7777). much easier and they will be waiting for you, no worries about the meter or grumpy cabbies (some dont like to go to the outer boroughs). car service will probably be a little more than the cab but imo well worth it.

Archived