Pregnancy coverage

sunset785

DH and I are looking to book a cruise at the end of June. I'll be about 13 weeks along at that point. It is the only week we can get off of work in order to go, otherwise I'd try to wait until I was a little further along due because I may still be experiencing morning sickness. Anyways, I've been looking at insurance coverage and have a question. Correct me if I'm wrong.... most insurance plans say that pregnancy is a pre-exsisting condition but if I buy the plan within 14 days of booking the cruise, it will be covered? Is this correct or am I reading it wrong?

Is there anything else that I need to think about when purchasing this insurance due to my pregnancy? Thanks!

DH and I are looking to book a cruise at the end of June. I'll be about 13 weeks along at that point. It is the only week we can get off of work in order to go, otherwise I'd try to wait until I was a little further along due because I may still be experiencing morning sickness. Anyways, I've been looking at insurance coverage and have a question. Correct me if I'm wrong.... most insurance plans say that pregnancy is a pre-exsisting condition but if I buy the plan within 14 days of booking the cruise, it will be covered? Is this correct or am I reading it wrong?

Is there anything else that I need to think about when purchasing this insurance due to my pregnancy? Thanks!

Most insurers do not consider pregnancy to be an "illness" or "sickness" so the normal pre-existing medical condition situation may not apply. Basically, any foreseeable complication of the pregnancy may not be covered at all. However, unforeseeable complications may be covered under some circumstances by some insurers.

Find a plan that generally meets your needs in other respects then give them a call regarding the pregnancy situation so you know 100% what would be covered and what wouldn't. For example, this is from a Travel Guard plan:

""Complications of Pregnancy" means conditions whose diagnoses are distinct from pregnancy but are adversely affected by pregnancy or are caused by pregnancy. These conditions include acute nephritis, nephrosis, cardiac decompensation, missed abortion and similar medical and surgical conditions of comparable severity. Complications of Pregnancy also include nonelective cesarean section, ectopic pregnancy which is terminated and spontaneous termination of pregnancy, which occurs during a period of gestation in which a viable birth is not possible.

Complications of Pregnancy do not include false labor, occasional spotting, Physician-prescribed rest during the period of pregnancy, morning sickness, hyperemesis gravidarum, preeclampsia and similar conditions associated with the management of a difficult pregnancy not constituting a nosologically distinct complication of pregnancy."

Travexex just has this exclusion:

"14. Pregnancy and childbirth (except for complications of pregnancy) except if hospitalized; "

which obviously leaves much more room for interpretation. And there are many, many state exceptions so make sure you're reading the proper version of the fine print,

Archived