Trip Interruption

dresterj

When I booked and paid for my cruise 2 months ago I did not get insurance. At the time my infant nephew was in the hospital for something minor. However, 1.5 weeks ago the doctors suspected that it is a much more serious (and possibly fatal) condition. But cannot make and predictions because of the potential condition's rareness. My nephew has been discharged and is doing well at home. However, due to the unpredictability of his suspected condition (test results are still outstanding) there is a small fear that something could happen while I'm on the cruise and I would need to leave.

This is my second cruise (first was 2006) and I am not familiar with the insurance policies (cannot even remember if I got it in 2006). If I get insurance now would it cover my having to leave if something happens with my nephew while I am away. I wonder for three reasons:

1) He's my nephew - not a parent, spouse, child, or sibling

2) Is it considered a pre-existing condition since I know he is having health challenges (however we really have no knowledge of how to expect it to play out)?

3) My cruise is sooner - June 5

I really look forward to any knowledge from more experienced cruisers. Thanks!

Also, I forgot to mention that I live near my departure port and will be driving there - not flying.

When I booked and paid for my cruise 2 months ago I did not get insurance. At the time my infant nephew was in the hospital for something minor. However, 1.5 weeks ago the doctors suspected that it is a much more serious (and possibly fatal) condition. But cannot make and predictions because of the potential condition's rareness. My nephew has been discharged and is doing well at home. However, due to the unpredictability of his suspected condition (test results are still outstanding) there is a small fear that something could happen while I'm on the cruise and I would need to leave.

This is my second cruise (first was 2006) and I am not familiar with the insurance policies (cannot even remember if I got it in 2006). If I get insurance now would it cover my having to leave if something happens with my nephew while I am away. I wonder for three reasons:

2) Is it considered a pre-existing condition since I know he is having health challenges (however we really have no knowledge of how to expect it to play out)?

Yes, it's a pre-existing under the definition of that term by most plans.

A nephew is covered under the "family member" definition of most, but not all plans.

The only company I can think of that might cover you is Travelex (with their plans underwritten by Nationwide, not the Old Republic plans) as they do not apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members. Call them at 1-800-228-9792 and see what they say.

Archived