INTRAV Russian River Cruise

wrahn2002

At the end of May, we are taking the INTRAV's Novikov Priboy from St. Petersburg to Moscow and I'm looking for any input on the cruise line and the "boat". Also since I'm sure the intinerary and conditions are the same for most of the lines and ships, any input on cruising in Russia would be of a big help.

Thanks for any help,

Wes

• 3 weeks later...

We've paid our final payment for our Russia River Cruise and today received our visa ($310 for both) and now the wait for the tickets and airline information. We're doing a four-day pre tour to Helsinki and then a bus to St. Petersburg. Trip stars on May 28, and my wife can't wait.

Thanks for the input, I just sent for my copy. Of course since I'm not booked with Vantage, I'm paying for my copy.

I also chanced upon this offer for a DVD of the Russia By River cruise which also includes Helsinki, but based on reviews by others (not good), I'm going to pass on the offer.

http://www.sjbproductions.com/web_pages/videos/russia_helsinki.htm

We went on a Russian Waterway trip two years ago and loved it! The tours were excellent. Regarding the ships, they are all same, regardless of company. They were built in 1988 and are leased to different companies. One suggestion, take note of the entry decor of your ship (the reception desk area) as when you are in port, your ship will tie up at the dock, but on your return it could be tethered at the end of three ships - meaning you must walk through three ships before you can find yours. While docked in St. Petersburg, another passenger and I walked up to the wonderful porcelin factory and made some excellent, reasonable purchases. Upon our return our ship was not in its original location. We had to walk through three tied up ships to one another until we found our landmark - the blue rug and the fish acquarium. Have a great trip!

As you leave one morning on your excursions, ask the guide to point out the Porcelin Factory near the ships. I would suggest on your return from the trip, ask the guide if they can drop. Then you only have to walk the short way back, along the river to the boat. The factory is wonderful! When we were there they did not take American money - only local currency and VISA! I bought dessert dishes in six different patterns of the blue and white themes, along with a creamer and sugar. Many were arranging for shipment of whole dinner sets back to the states.

Our ship also had a great boutique on reasonable items - scarves, dolls, amber jewelry. They seemed to stock up at every port. If you go to Uglich (spelling), you would love the excursion and their watches!

The bathroom shower was a surprise but after using it, I realized it was a great design for small places. Be sure you pull the curtain around in front of the toilet and toilet paper, otherwise you have one wet mess. The shower is literally the spigot from the sink that is pulled out and up to a hook on the wall. Turn on the faucet and presto! You have a shower.

In other posts it mentions the police. It is true. Two times in Moscow our bus was pulled over and detained by the police. At one point they took our driver and put him in the police car for about 15 minutes. We thought one of us might have to take over the bus. Kidding aside, I think probably a little "payment" happened before we were once on our way.

Your experiences will be different but so exciting. Have a great trip.

Greetings,

We are doing the St. Petersburg to Russia trip in July. Thank you for the tip about the book, I also ordered a copy. There is another thread on this board with some good infor from past cruisers of this trip. Hopefully you have found that one.

It would be wonderful to hear from you when you return from your May trip. Your advice will be so helpful to those of us sailing later in the summer.

We wish you a fantastic trip!

Sandie

Hi maly,

I think our boats will be passing somewhere along the way. We fly to St. Petersburg on July 2 and arrive on the 3rd. We fly home on July 17th. The name of our boat is Yesenin. In looking at our itineraries, I do not see any port that we both will be stopping in on the same day. We leave St. Petersburg on July 7th, and travel along the Neva River, Lake Ladoga and the Svir River. We stop that day at the village of Svir Stroy. I think this is the day that you stop at the village of Mandrogui.

You can email me at sf1776@comcast.net

Sandie

• 1 month later...

We're leaving for the Tampa airport on Friday for a early flight on Sat. to Helsinki for the start of our Russian River Cruise. We'll spend the night at the airport hotel so we don't have to get up too early for the drive to the airport.

We'll spend three nights in Helsinki at the Best Western Haaga Hotel which is a 15 min. drive to the city center. Then a bus trip to St. Pete and the start of the boat ride. Our only problem is we still don't have the documents for the cruise. Not a good way to start a trip.

Wes

Last night we received our docs, so we're good to go. Flying from Tampa 28 May for three nights in Helsinki then a loooong bus ride to St. Pete to board the river boat for the trip to Moscow. It should be a great adventure.

Wes

Have a wonderful trip! We are anxiously awaiting the receipt of our Visas and travel docs. We fly to St. Petersburg on July 2. We would love to hear all about your trip upon your return. Enjoy!!!

Sandie

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you had a great trip and not too much jet lag!! Was the book I wrote about helpful? I do have a couple of questions (we leave June 28th)

First, about money - did you use any American dollars? Was there any worry about crime e.g. pickpockets, etc. We don't have a safe in our cabin, so it's not like the big cruise ships. Are there any special things to buy? Do you have any recommendations about things not to miss? We have many excursions included, but still have 4 free afternoons in St. Petersburg. Thanks for any insights. Myrna

First, we were on the Novikov Priboy which looked like the other river boats we saw. Intrav leases this boat as I'm sure Vantage leases the boat you'll be on.

We used USD for all our on board expenses and most street vendors wanted USD or Euros. We needed rubles for the toilets and in some of the "state" places we visited. Our Intrav company representatives acted as the cruise director and staff as one would find on a cruise ship. Our director, Teddy, had a safe in her room and would keep things in the safe for the passengers. She recommended we lock our valuables in one of our suitcases. which is what I did. My wife and I wore those "safes" around our necks, under our shirts.

Every time we stopped at a new place, we were warned about pickpocketers, but we didn't have any problems. In St. Pertersburg and Moscow the boats are about an hour from the city center and we were offered a shuttle bus during free afternoons usually the choice was to stay downtown and then they would pick you up at a central location and set time. The shuttle was not on a continuous schedule. We also had lunch at different hotels since it would take too long to return to the ship and then back to city center just for lunch or dinner.

You didn't ask, but both in St. Pete and Moscow there are stores near the ship where you can buy water (less then on board the ship) and booze, beer and wine and lots of food stuff.

The rooms on the boat are very small and the room will not be dark. You'll have lights from your boat and other boats tied next to your boat and you'll hear people in the hall and in the rooms next to yours. Bring ear plugs and get your doctor to write a script for Ambien (sleeping pill) and bring tape and brown paper or brown grocery bags to tape up the window if you have trouble sleeping.

Bring good walking shoes! You'll walk and climb stairs just to enjoy the sights.

I forgot to answer the question about the use of the book. It's helpful, but there weren't too many Kilometer markers on the river, and we didn't get many announcements from the ship. The place to shop for "stuff" is in Uglich.

Wes

There's was an A/C unit in each cabin and it would cool or heat. It's difficult to use and when on, the fan is noisy. The benefit is it can act as white noise to mask the other noises, the downside, it can keep you awake. Make sure you learn how to use it from the start, some people left the boat never knowing how to use it.

Archived