Is There a Calypso Band on the Wind?

Cruzenbabe2

For anyone that has sailed on the Wind, is there a Calypso band playing when sailing away or playing during the day by the pool?

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not this ship has the same feeling as if you're in the Caribbean, you know the band playing poolside, are there any pool games going on during the day?

I guess what I'm asking is how's the atmosphere on this ship? I know it's a Hawaiian cruise, but how is the atmosphere compared to being on a Caribbean cruise?

Hopefully, we're going in August, so many families may still be sailing.

Still trying to convince hubby to take this sailing, but, he would prefer sailing the caribbean.

i was on the wind last month. it was my first cruise, so i had nothing to compare it to. but a few words regarding your questions:

#1 there was no live music that i was aware of during the day at the pool. i spent most of my time in the sun on the deck and know that they played recorded music during the lunch buffets and sometimes during the afternoon.

#2 the waters were really really rough. i've heard that the carribbean is very smooth and calm. this was rough almost the entire trip. i'd say the vast majority of the guests were sea sick for several days! luckily, i was not! it was difficult to walk around the ship; i always saw people swerving and stumbling.

#3 there were very few pool activities. the 3 pools were salt water and very cold. usually there were only a few brave children in them. some afternoons, the staff would have silly games at one pool, but they were things like sexy leg contests or hairy men contest.

#4 despite all of these issues, i had a wonderful time! great food, good entertainment, hundreds of wonderfully nice people and of course, hawaii is great, too! i'm considering doing the same cruise in december!

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you for responding. Well as long as there was some sort of music playing. Hubby likes to bring his own music anyway.

Yes, I have a question. Did you book excursions thru NCL or did you do it alone.

My hubby is also complaining, saying it's going to be a lot more money with excursions on this cruise.

I have no problems with NCL excursions, being if anything happens they won't leave without us.

Did you guys go to any fabolous beaches? I mean no rocks or seaweed just pretty water.

Would love to hear about your cruise. Trying to soak up as much information as possible.

We're 37 and 41, son 15, how was the nightlife? I read in some reviews they play a lot of hip hop in the club. That's our type of fun dance music.

Thanks in advance

i went on the cruise with the lowest possible expectations. i had read terrible things here on cruise critic and was almost dreading the trip. and i was so pleasantly surprised! it was wonderful!

i booked excursions through the cruise line. seemed easier and more reliable. i booked a few in advance as i thought most people would. but surprisingly, most wait until they're on board, i think. i booked the luau first (loved it!) and kona coffee tour, best of hilo and deep sea fishing. if i were to do it again, i would have done more adventure type excursions. to me, it's worth the extra $ to know that i have reliable transportation and the bus drivers are fabulous! very descriptive, friendly and hospitable!

i really enjoyed the days at sea. so relaxing! i spent most of my time on deck in the sun with new cruise friends, but they have tons of activities to keep you occupied. craft classes, dance lessons, movies and on and on....

we did the beach excursion on maui. it was $50. didn't include a meal. but the beach was the best! matter of fact, i just saw it featured last week on the travel channel. i was so excited to see the exact spot where i had sat!

the nightlife on the ship is whatever you make of it. i'm 34 and was travelling with parents and grandparent. we had dinner and saw the show most every night. the shows are okay. nothing very vegas-style, but good. the first few nights, i went to the bar in hopes of some excitement, but no dice. most people seemed to turn in after the last show. one bar had a band that played easy-listening. the disco seemed to be more of a hang out for crew that was off for the night. as time went on, i did meet some great people and we would go to the bar and dance til the wee hours. the wind doesn't seem to get a big drinking crowd, which i appreciated, but there's not much of a nightlife. i'd say you have to make your own fun!

nonetheless, it was a great trip and i'd do it again in a heartbeat!

if you have other questions, please ask! or you can click on my user name and send an e-mail. i'm happy to help!

Archived