NJ Hotel Convenient to Manhattan & Cape Liberty

We will be driving from Delaware to Cape Liberty for an August 7 cruise departure. I am trying to figure out if we can manage a pre cruise night in a NJ hotel (less expensive than Manhattan -- both hotel & parking) with convenient public transportation (PATH?) into Manhattan for an evening of dinner & theatre before our cruise and an easy drive to the cruise terminal on departure day. Any hotel suggestions?

David

In addition to the Sheraton mentioned by 138east, at the upper end of the scale you might want to check out the Hyatt Regency (right on the Hudson River) and the Westin, both in Jersey City. Both have quick & easy (& cheap) access to Manhattan via the PATH train, and are a reasonably short & easy drive to Cape Liberty (Bayonne). In the same Jersey City neighborhood (the business/financial district), for a little less money, there are also a Doubletree by Hilton, Courtyard by Mariott, and Candlewood Suites.

(Disclaimer: For what it's worth, I haven't stayed in any of these hotels, but I'm very familiar with the area and have seen them all from the outside. They generally get very positive reviews on Tripadvisor.)

The Hyatt and Westin are frequently on Hotwire, but unfortunately they are not there this time for the OP's date. The 4* for 8/6 has the suite amenity, so it's the Sheraton. It's still a good deal - a quick bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel to Port Authority - perfect for the theater district.

The Hyatt and Westin are frequently on Hotwire, but unfortunately they are not there this time for the OP's date. The 4* for 8/6 has the suite amenity, so it's the Sheraton. It's still a good deal - a quick bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel to Port Authority - perfect for the theater district.

i believe the sheraton is also right by the new york waterway ferry.

Yes - it's right by the ferry. Parking is extra. David - if this choice doesn't suit, let us know your budget and we'll see what we can find. For a cheaper hotel option you could stay in a Newark hotel and drive a couple of exits on the turnpike to Secaucus Junction to take the train into NY. There's lots of parking there as long as there is no Meadowlands event.

In addition to the Sheraton mentioned by 138east, at the upper end of the scale you might want to check out the Hyatt Regency (right on the Hudson River) and the Westin, both in Jersey City. Both have quick & easy (& cheap) access to Manhattan via the PATH train, and are a reasonably short & easy drive to Cape Liberty (Bayonne). In the same Jersey City neighborhood (the business/financial district), for a little less money, there are also a Doubletree by Hilton, Courtyard by Mariott, and Candlewood Suites.

(Disclaimer: For what it's worth, I haven't stayed in any of these hotels, but I'm very familiar with the area and have seen them all from the outside. They generally get very positive reviews on Tripadvisor.)

Post Captain....we are booked for 2 nights at the Hyatt. Wondering if you can tell me if there is a liquor store in the area of the hotel?

Any great restaurants that shouldnt be missed?

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

Thanks Post Captain,

I have been considering the Marriott Courtyard and the Doubletree. Are both close to PATH? Do the PATH trains run late (ie post theater) with reasonable frequency?

David

Here's the bus scheduled for #158 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0158.pdf - it looks like the last bus is at 12:30. Path runs 7x24 - about every 15-20 minutes late at night - http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html Both the Marriott Courtyard and Doubletree are near to Path - there is also a Candlewood Suites. All would be just fine.

Hotwire changes all the time. The Hoboken/Jersey City 4* suite hotel (Lincoln Harbor) is now gone. However, there is a 4* for $190 which would be the Hyatt or Westin. If you're serious about this, I'd make a decision and book it. I think Hotwire has a deal now where you can insure your stay by paying an extra charge for the right to cancel. I'm seeing the Doubletree at $144 for an advance purchase - that would be a good deal. Candlewood is $180 and the Courtyard $190.

I would choose a Jersey City hotel - much more travel flexibility with Path. Even though Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is close, if you have to wait for a bus the travel time is comparable. Staying in the Newport area of Jersey City also gives you easy access to the NJ Turnpike to go to Bayonne.

Post Captain....we are booked for 2 nights at the Hyatt. Wondering if you can tell me if there is a liquor store in the area of the hotel?

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

The closest liquor store I am seeing is Bar Majestic

275 Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302 (201) 451-4400 ‎

This is near the Grove St Path station and about a 6-7 block walk from the Hyatt. Another store would be Village Wine & Liquors

348 Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302-5927 (201) 434-7200 ‎

This is also near the Grove St. Path station and about a 7-8 block walk from the Hyatt.

Thanks boo214 and 138east --

Does the waterway ferry run late -- post theater?

David

according to the ny waterway website nywaterway.com the ferrys run every 20 min until 1 am on the weekends and until about 11 pm during the week.

Thanks Post Captain,

I have been considering the Marriott Courtyard and the Doubletree. Are both close to PATH? Do the PATH trains run late (ie post theater) with reasonable frequency?

David

David,

The Doubletree literally is next door to the Pavonia/Newport PATH station. The Mariott Courtyard is a couple of blocks from the station. Both hotels are on Washington Boulevard, the main north-south thoroughfare that runs through the Jersey City business district; so no matter which hotel you stay at, you really can't get lost.

PATH trains run 24/7, although weekend service is not quite as frequent or as direct as weekday service. Still, returning in the wee hours from a Broadway show won't be a logistical problem. The PATH website provides fuller information:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

By the way, while you're in Jersey City, be sure to go to the promenade that runs the full length of the waterfront. The views of Manhattan, the Hudson River, and New York Harbor are really stunning.

Cheers,

John

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

Ann,

There is a very fine restaurant ("Vu") right in the Hyatt, with spectacular views of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline. The hotel caters many wedding receptions and corporate events, and the standard of service and cuisine is pretty high:

http://www.hyatt.com/gallery/newjpcatering/

I haven't gone looking for a liquor store for quite some time, so I'm afraid I can't really help you there. But I'm sure someone at the reception desk will be able to steer you in the right direction.

The area around the Hyatt--indeed, the whole Jersey City waterfront area--consists mainly of a mix of modern office buildings (lots of corporate HQs), condominiums, town houses, hotels, shops (including smaller street-front stores as well as the large Newport Mall), and marinas, with a wonderful waterfront promenade. The whole area formerly was a mix of abandoned rail yards, docks, derelict factories, etc. The transformation over the last 10-20 years has been nothing short of amazing.

Cheers,

John

John...thanks for the info. We are planning on dinner the first night at Vu. The reason I picked the Hyatt is because of the views and the easy access to NY. I think its better to stay across the river and have the views than be right in the middle of the city. We are flying into Newark and cruising from Bayonne so I think Jersey City is a good choice.

Cant wait to see what they have done with the waterfront in JC.

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

Ann,

I don't know how this slipped my mind, but in addition to the Vu Restaurant in the Hyatt, I can't recommend Amanda's in Hoboken highly enough:

http://www.amandasrestaurant.com/index.htm

It's an easy 10- to 15-minute cab ride from the Hyatt, or you can take the light rail from Jersey City (there's a station just a block from the Hyatt) and then walk up Washington Street in Hoboken.

The dining rooms, service, food, and ambiance are second to none.

And I've also just recalled that in Hoboken there are two branches of Sparrow Wine & Liquor Co., excellent purveyors of fine wines & spirits:

http://sparrowine.com/

Cheers,

John

There is a fantastic little diner just a short walk from the Hyatt, the Flamingo. It's a true classic, and don't let the ambiance (or lack thereof) fool you - wonderful food, great people, inexpensive, homemade - I just literally love this place, and we make a point to eat there every time we're in town. You cannot, and I mean cannot beat having a true Jersey diner breakfast.

Hoboken is crawling with restaurants, and it's hard to decide. I'm a fan of places that have been around for decades - says a lot about the food in such a fast changing town. That being said, I recommend Fiore's and Lisa's for deli sandwiches (and you've never HAD a deli sandwich until you have one of these), and Leo's Grandevous for an Italian meal that'll have you crying for your momma (they only take cash, but it's the single most authentic restaurant in Hoboken - you'll thank me!).

KC

Archived