Want to visit Aricebo Telescope

millermadness

My husband and I are arriving on July 23,2011 ( the day before the Carnival Victory departs) and we wanted to go see the Aricebo telecope, but dont want to do a 9 hour tour. We were thinking about wether taking a cab or renting a car. The problem with the rental car is I only see the drop off at the airport. We are staying at the Sheraton which is literally at the port. Any advice from anyone who has done this? Love the feedback and thanks in advance

My husband and I are arriving on July 23,2011 ( the day before the Carnival Victory departs) and we wanted to go see the Aricebo telecope, but dont want to do a 9 hour tour. We were thinking about wether taking a cab or renting a car. The problem with the rental car is I only see the drop off at the airport. We are staying at the Sheraton which is literally at the port. Any advice from anyone who has done this? Love the feedback and thanks in advance

The Sheraton at the dock has a car rental company.....you can rent from there and return it to there, then hop on the ship!

There is a Hertz rent a car kiosk right in the Sheraton hotel in Old San Juan. You could rent a car through the internet and use it to get to Arecibo. You don't say at what time you arrive in PR, you have to consider the fact that the Arecibo telescope site is a good 1-1 1/2 hour drive from SJ. I hope you do enjoy your stay here in PR and your cruise, and when you come back from your cruise on the Victory let us know how it went. DW and I are going on the Victory in Jan. and can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest you do the tour instead. Leave the driving to someone that knows the area. We rented a car and went to the Camuy caves and then to Arcebo. It was a LONG drive not knowing where you are going - the roads have very few signs and those that were marked were confusing. You get away from main roads onto some side roads that are SOOOO narrow. I thought we were going to get hit head on Many times! We took one wrong turn and added 2 extra hours to our road trip. Not to mention all the toll roads you will pass through - BRING lots of Change. Once you get to the Observatory - its a Steep walk up the hill from where you park.

Cinderose, thanks so much for this information. My husband seems to think he can find anything with out asking for directions and I am the worst back seat driver, so again thanks for saving our marriage LOL:D Tell me, was it all worth it to see Aricebo??

We have a car rental booked with Hertz for pickup at the airport and drop off at the Sheraton Old San Juan.

Can you please tell me how you made these arrangements? We have a car booked also, but were told we had to drop off and pick up at the same location. We would like to do the opposite - pick up at the OSJ Sheraton and drop off at the airport. Thanks.:)

I just booked online through the Hertz website!

Great! Just get good directions, or a GPS and you are set. There are a few nice things to do in that area/on the way back also....Cueva Ventana, Cueva del Indio, Caguana Center, Lares Heladeria, Batey zipline tour, Barceloneta outlets, Mar Chiquita in Manati, Puerto Nuevo beach, Bacardi tour.

With a car, a new PR opens up. I love when people explore. There really is so much to do!

Archived