Mykonos, Corfu, Crete better beaches where???

krysti0423

Where and what beach would you suggest, not "touristy" (more secluded) in Mykonos, Corfu and Crete? I have been reading a Fodor's book and they mentioned a couple beaches in Corfu and Crete as being some of the best in Greece. Any other suggestions? Also, could I take a private taxi to these beaches? My husband and I are a young couple and would like to go to a few different beaches on our Greek Isles cruise. Also, is there anything we would be missing by doing a beach day at any of these ports to actually give it more thought?

In corfu, we rented a car and went to Paleokastritsa Beach. There are boat tours offered there that go in and out of coves. This was a gorgeous area, beautiful beach and water.

http://www.greeka.com/ionian/corfu/corfu-beaches/corfu-paleokastritsa.htm

In Mykonos, taxi's are hard to come by. We took the bus to Plati Gialos. There are many beaches assessable by bus. The link below will help you chooses which one you might like. http://www.greeceathensaegeaninfo.com/h-greek-islands/cyc/mykonos-beaches.htm

For both Corfu and Mykonos we spent a few hours walking around the towns then went to the beach late morning.

I've never been to Crete.

Thank You! I just went to that site and it looks beautiful! Any specific company that you used or can you just get a cab there? I will have to explore the site in greater detail later today.

We used sunrise car rental in Corfu. They picked us up at the pier and dropped you off after. It's very easy driving on this island. We had a great day!

http://www.corfusunrise.com/

• 2 weeks later...

We took a bus from the center of old Corfu town to Dassia Beach. A pebbly beach which wasn't crowded. it was in front of a hotel (perhaps the Dassia Beach hotel) which we used their facilities and the bus stop was in front of the hotel. We went to Paleokastrika beach which was very small but pretty and there are a few little shops there.

It's worth it in Corfu to get someone (tour or taxi) to drive you around up in the hills for some breathtaking views. There's a little village high up that we visited and ate Greek food and uzo and they had shops that sold olive oils and such.

I visited Corfu twice and the first time when we went to the beach we totally missed the beauty of the island. Corfu town didn't offer much that interested me - some natural sponges that fell apart after I got home and some gauze sundresses.

It's not a beach, but I highly recommend checking out the island of Delos, a quick ferry ride from Mykonos. An amazing, totally deserted but very significant place in Greek mythology. I went there 15+ years ago and it still remains close to my heart today. We went there in the AM and to a beach in Mykonos in the afternoon. A good way to combine the ancient and the modern!

Archived