The Baths-- Speedy's ferry

bluefish

I was recently at Tortola on the Westerdam and we took Speedy's ferry to the Baths on Virgin Gorda rather than the ship excursion. This turned out to be a mistake and I can't recommend Speedy's. The Speedy's ferry leaves Tortola at 10am and costs $25 pp including taxi ride to the Baths. Unfortunately this puts you at the Baths at midday, which is when it is really crowded. Worst of all, no one seems to be in charge of the Speedy's operation. After waiting patiently in line on the dock in Tortola, when it came time to board the boat, there was a mob rush for the boat with no one maintaining order. Returning was worse as apparently Speedy decides which size boat will return and when based on how many people they have standing on the dock on Virgin Gorda. People were told first this boat, no that boat was going back. Add in some anxiety over getting back before the Westie sails at 6pm and the hot sun, and the situation became more volatile. When they finally said board I thought I was at a soccer game or rock concert in the mob trying to board the boat. Heaven help you if you had small children or were elderly as no quarter was given.

Do yourself a favor and take the HAL excursion. A nice boat pulls right up to the ship at 8am and you board from the ships tender gangway. You get to the Baths before it gets so crowded and you get back in time for lunch on the ship , then afternoon shopping/sightseeing in Roadtown. Apparently here you get what you pay for.

Bluefish:

I have to agree it is a mad rush for the ferry at Virgin Gorda but for those who don't wish to return to the ship so early, you are on their schedule and have no option to stay. That is the problem with taking arranged tours. If you had already been to Virgin Gorda and knew you didn't want to stay for any length of time, then the cruise tour is probably the way to go but there is alot to do and see in Virgin Gorda and if you are physically fit to explore all there is to do, you'd be out of luck taking their excursion. Just my opinion.

Archived