What to do in Jamaica

snorkelsport

My husband and I are about to leave on a cruise this weekend. One of our stops is Ochos Rios. It seems that the big draw is Dunn's River Falls, but I don't want to have to fight a huge crowd of people. Is it worth it to go there? Are the crowds bad? Are there any suggestions for other activities that anyone would suggest. Also, I want to try some good authentic Jamaican grub. Any suggestions on this?

Gracias

Hi There!

We wanted exactly what you wanted, so we booked a private tour with Phil Layfayette! We were just in Ochio Rios about 3 weeks ago as part of our Cruise.

He took us to Dunn's River..we were the FIRST Couple there and had the grounds to ourselves for at least a good 35 minutes before anybody else showed up. We decided not to climb the falls, but just to walk the beach and admire the Falls, etc.

Phil will personalize your tour..you can do exactly what you want..and he will take you where you want to go. He will take great care of you and will keep you away from the crowds. He will also take you to a great restuarant that has a wonderful view. Also-His van is air conditioned and clean. He will also suggest the River Tubing-which sounds like alot of fun!

You can contact him through his website..just do a search for his name, Phil Lafayette and tell him that Stacy and Dave said HI! :)

If you have any other questions, just ask. :)

When you get off the ship ask one of the licensed cab drivers, they have the JUTA plates, to take you to Nine Mile. That is the home and buriel place of Bob Marley. Ask to stop at one of the local jerk pits along the way. If your really adventrous ask for one that the locals go to, not the tourist grade one. Best food around and done the old fashioned way, smoked with pimento wood. Martha Stewart did this and featured it on her show.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

We booked a tour with Ionie & Lewis McBeam. We got to the falls early, so there wasn't much of a crowd. After that, we took a drive through Fern Gully, and then did some shopping and then a little more driving around the area.

We ended up spending the afternoon at Island Village/Margaritaville (which is located right next to the pier). We ate at Margaritaville, but the next time I'd eat at The Ruins, or BiBiBipps (sp). Our college-age kids wanted to do Margaritaville, so we went there. It was fine, but I would have preferred to try a more local place.

Here's Ionie's website:

http://www.ocho-rios.com

Hi There!

We wanted exactly what you wanted, so we booked a private tour with Phil Layfayette! We were just in Ochio Rios about 3 weeks ago as part of our Cruise.

He took us to Dunn's River..we were the FIRST Couple there and had the grounds to ourselves for at least a good 35 minutes before anybody else showed up. We decided not to climb the falls, but just to walk the beach and admire the Falls, etc.

Phil will personalize your tour..you can do exactly what you want..and he will take you where you want to go. He will take great care of you and will keep you away from the crowds. He will also take you to a great restuarant that has a wonderful view. Also-His van is air conditioned and clean. He will also suggest the River Tubing-which sounds like alot of fun!

You can contact him through his website..just do a search for his name, Phil Lafayette and tell him that Stacy and Dave said HI! :)

If you have any other questions, just ask. :)

I have to echo Stacy's comments. I would highly recommend Phil. We climbed the falls and did the tube ride - both were a blast! Phill also brought us to Margaritaville to close out the day (a fun place).

Thanks to Phil, Jamaica was the highlight of our 10-day cruise.

Archived