Montreal - Entertainment Book

We are departing from Montreal in October and coming into Montreal two days earlier. We are staying in Old Montreal, Springhill Suites by Marriott - 445 Rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste.

I purchased an Entertainment Book for Montreal and was wondering if anyone has any input on good places to dine from the book that are close (walking distance) from our hotel.

Also, any good attractions or other deals from the book?

DaveOKC

I don't have a book, but I looked online at the list. Understandably the best restaurants in town... aren't in the book. Le Cabaret du Roy is in there, if you want a theme restaurant. Basically, this list... http://montreal.entertainment.com/discount/dining.shtml?category=Fine+Dining&N=25+42 is the list of restaurants by distance from Old Montreal. Basically, the first seven (except number 5) are in and around Old Montreal.

And the free admission to Pointe-à-Callière is worth it, if you like archeology. Free kids admission to the Botanical Garden.

Ephriam - I appreciate your reply, but I did a search on the Entertainment book using my hotel as a starting point and got a different list:

http://www.entertainment.com/save/search?category=Fine+Dining&Ns=LOCATION%2845.5062%2c-73.5546%29%7c0%7c%7cOFFER_TYPE%7c0&N=25+42&onShowing=dining&Nu=OFFER

Can you recommend any of these places?

Thanks

DaveOKC

I guess I have to explain that Montrealers are generally foodies. Any restaurant having to list themselves in Entertainment is generally desperate for business. Either it is new and needs business or it is old and no one is going there are full price. It's a way to get people in, by discounting.

From what I see on that list, there is very little that I would consider going to. I've been to Kalalu and Bayou Brasil and they are worth it, with the Entertainment book, but I wouldn't pay their full price (both lack atmosphere.) I like El Morrocco, but not everyone wants a Morroccan Kosher restaurant that for people who don't eat kosher might seem expensive.

From the Fine Dining List, the only deal I see is Cabaret du Roy which is a tourist show, not great food.

On the casual dining list, Pizzadelic makes a nice pizza. La Cage aux Sports has nice wings (it's a sports bar). Shambala is Tibetan (not great). Abiata is Ethiopian, if you don't mind eating with your hands, but Nil Bleu has better atmosphere.

My honest opinion.... don't bother with the book. Restaurants in Montreal are the wrong place to save money. There are so many great restaurants, many of which may need reservations (but don't have dress codes) that to save money and go to something mediocre is just a shame.

Two things you have to understand. We speak French, we aren't French. Just like the US speaks English, but aren't English. So running around for French restaurants is like running around for English restaurants in the US. The second part is... we aren't the US. Service is restaurants is different. Don't expect a waiter to hover over you. If you want something you will likely have to call them over. If you want your glass filled then either you need to call them or they need to have delivered near you and notice. We want to be left alone to enjoy our food and companionship and the waiter is detrimental to this. We want to enjoy life and that means that we want to slow down and smell the roses.

For Lunch I would suggest Stash Cafe or Olive & Gourmondo, Muvbox or maybe Boris Bistro if you want to be in Place Jacques Cartier (understand what a bistro is, because the definition in the US is often convoluted. It is a small informal restaurant serving plain food.)

For dinner, in that are is Club Chasse et Peche (Game), L'Autre Version (Med.), Bonaparte (Old French), Garde Manger (local, but loud, for a younger crowd... I love it, but most people over 35 or 40 think it's noisy and not relaxing... ie it's not for them.), L'Epicier (local), Modavie (Ribs & Jazz), Gibbys (Steak & Seafood, expensive, but great), Toque (local, very expensive, better to try Brasserie T by the same chef.) or L'Orignal (game)

Just to give you some ideas. But remember that you are in an expensive part of town. The rents are extremely high and someone has to pay them. Just to give you an idea... here is a listing for a condo, 2 bed, 2 bath, 2 parking, 2400 sq ft. http://*******/7C0NQ

Archived