Checkpoints

RondaRed

The only time I've ever seen a checkpoint is during turtle nesting season, which is in the spring. The police will set up checkpoints on the eastside of the island to keep cars from diving up and down the eastcoast road at night. The lights and traffic keep the turtles from nesting and laying their eggs. Cozumel has a very good sea turtle conservation program.

Other than that, I've never seen any police or military "checkpoint" in Cozumel.

Not sure what you are talking about as far as "checkpoints", but you do have you show your photo ID and ship card upon entering and leaving whichever pier your ship docks at in Cozumel. Cozumel police will ask to see these, so be prepared to show them before leaving the pier to board your ship.

~gina~:)

Okay thanks everyone... for some reason I thought I read here on the boards that there was a check point on the Island that you had to drive through. I figured seat belts was one thing but I wasn't sure if there were other items checked.

Thanks for the info.

Which speed bump? Off the top of my head I can think of, at least, 3 "topes."

I don't think there are any "checkpoints" really. There are immigracion or tourism officials near the plaza that assist tourists but, other than the papers you have to show when entering and leaving the pier, the only time I've seen any police stopping people at a checkpoint is during turtle nesting season and on the eastside. But, maybe things have changed since I was there last.

There nothing to worry about, first of all. They're just set up to make sure everyone is wearing their seatbelts including in the backseat. And that moped riders have on their helmets. They will only stop you if they see you're disobeying either of these rules and they're not supposed to give you a ticket -- just a warning.

The checkpoints are: Going south from the cruiseship pier --about 1/2 mile beyond the stop light . You'll see a little canopy cover. They generally only check people going out of town -- not going back towards town and the cruiseship piers.

Second checkpoint is north of town if you were going to Playa Azul beach club, the golf course or somewhere like that.

Third checkpoint is going out of town (not back into town) on the cross island road -- the one that runs by San Gervasio ruins.

I do remember reading an article not long ago that authorities, in an effort to reduce the number of moped accidents, were going to be watching things more closely and that there was a push for seatbelt use. Wow! Didn't know they were going to set up checkpoints. Interesting.

They've been in effect for several years, actually. They're for your safety. Just wear your seat belts and helmets and smile and wave as you go through. The only stop you if they note an obvious violation. They're not there to hassle the tourists.

They were originally set up after a series of accidents mainly due to people riding without helmets. I think it's more to educate the local Mexican population than anything else. In an interview with the police chief in last week's paper he noted that American and Canadian drivers had a remarkably high level of "road education." and there were very few problems with this group. He also said that the police realize that Cozumel is a totally tourist-centered place and there will be alot of people driving around that aren't sure of the rules and where they're going. So they try to be kind.

Archived