And the winner is.....

Decisions, decisions, decisions.:D

I've been looking at what to do in '12.

This year we could only do the "milk run" on the Dawn, and are currently planning some land R&R languishing on a beach in Far North Queensland for the winter .

But we've been agonising over what to do next year.

There have been some conflicting things pulling at me.

My great love is SE Asia. [lived there for 10 years and return whenever I can].

I love the sea.

I love traditional vessels [fine dining, wide promenade decks etc.]

I have emphysema and have difficulty with overnight air travel.:(

Given all of that, there are some great ships around - with some top deals.

On the list for us was:

Oriana - Singapore-Brisbane Feb '12. [ a great deal on offer]

Celebrity Solstice, Singapore-Sydney Nov '12 [magnificent re-location deal]

Aurora, San Francisco-Brisbane Feb '12. [another great deal on offer]

What an awful decision to make.

And the decision is:

3. - Celebrity Solstice. As nice as the deal is, and as modern as the vessel is - it is just not me.

I am of the same opinion as that great Australian cruise commentator Reuben Goessens [a veteran of over 100 cruises] who writes:

Many regular cruise passengers prefer to sail on today’s medium sized ships, ranging from 60,000 to 80,000 tons. Two of these are P&O’s 1995 built 69,153 GRT MV Oriana, and the 2000 built 76,000 GRT MV Aurora. These two ships offer the best in British style cruising! For their size, they have an intimate feel which combined with their elegant classic and modern interiors a style that English ships are famous for.

Without doubt, I consider both Oriana and Aurora as the finest cruise ships around today, perfect in size and both retain ocean going traditions, which, sadly is lost with the mega ships (floating hotels) built today which resemble giant shopping centres and apartment blocks rather that a great ocean liner.

So, cross off the Solstice.

2. - The itinerary of the Aurora attracted me.

SF, Hawaii, Apia, Pago Pago, Auckland, and so on.

But enter the emphysema.

I doubt if I could handle that air trip [especially the overnight bit].:confused:

Cross off Aurora.

Which leaves - good old Oriana [ which we have sailed on before and absolutely loved:)]

The package is great.

I can handle a day flight Brisvegas-Singapore.

The package includes 2 night accommodation at the Novotel Clarke Quay [100 metres from arguably the best satay shop in the world - http://www.kingsatay.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=32 ]

21 day, Singapore- Brisvegas - including Saigon [i can take the treasurer there and up to Phuoc Thuy province to show her the approximate location I served in that war], Nha Trang [a lovely spot], Hong Kong [we lived there for 2 years], Brunei [served less than 50km from there during the Indonesian Confrontation of Malaysia in '66 and have always wanted to see the place], Bali - never been there but speak the language reasonably fluently, Darwin, Airlie, Brisvegas.

A rough trip - but someone has to do it.:p

Any takers - I could be your guide????

Sadly, I think this might be my last "overseas" foray - will have to stick to the good old Pacific Dawn [brisvegas-Brisvegas] after this one.

Hi Dennis

I also have a great liking for Oriana. Have been on her twice. (met you on board last time)

Can you give us any more details on that trip Singapore - Brisbane. Could be interested!!

Take care.

Hi Dennis

I also have a great liking for Oriana. Have been on her twice. (met you on board last time)

Can you give us any more details on that trip Singapore - Brisbane. Could be interested!!

Take care.

G'day Pete,

I don't think I've had the pleasure of your company matey - you must be confusing me with someone else.:D

Maybe we could recitfy that on this cruise :);):

http://www.pocruises.com/en/Cruises-2009-2010/2012-cruises/Singapore-to-Brisbane-XYU/?mode=itinerary

Obviously you'd have to see your local TA for local deals.

Looks a grood cruise.

I love traditional vessels [fine dining, wide promenade decks etc.]

Have you considered HAL? They have beautiful ships with wrap around teak decks. Traditional cruising, mid size ships, great food (fresh bread baked everyday!!), and the best beds on the seas (IMHO). They have some nice Asian Itineraries (we are doing 30 nights Sydney to Hong Kong in Dec/Jan).

Their 2012/13 cruises are not released yet - their website only has cruises to April 2012 - but should be out in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Carina

Thanks Carina - I'll put HAL on my "look at" list. :D

It will all depend on the flight section as it is air travel that knocks me around. :)

Have you considered staggering your flights and extending your holiday by a few days? For example, on a cruise ending in HK, you could fly to a more southern Asian city for a few days (like Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Singapore, etc) before flying on to Australia. (I know that the only direct flight HK to Melbourne at the end of our cruise is an overnight flight, and I am dreading it already. I am an extremely light sleeper, so I just have to accept that I will be awake all night:()

Cheers,

Carina

G'day Pete,

I don't think I've had the pleasure of your company matey - you must be confusing me with someone else.:D

Maybe we could recitfy that on this cruise :);):

Sorry Dennis, was confusing you with Kathy and Dennis (Diamonds are Forever Bangkok to Sydney 2009 and Oriana - San Francisco to Auckland 2010)

Look forward to catching up with you sometime somewhere!

Pete

G'day Pete, I don't think I've had the pleasure of your company matey - you must be confusing me with someone else.:DMaybe we could recitfy that on this cruise :);):

http://www.pocruises.com/en/Cruises-2009-2010/2012-cruises/Singapore-to-Brisbane-XYU/?mode=itinerary

Obviously you'd have to see your local TA for local deals.

Looks a grood cruise.

Hi Dennis,

Lovely cruise

Great decision

Lovely ship

Perhaps my all time favourite.

Checked out the itinerary on the link you gave and see dear old P&O are up to their old tricks....

19 Feb 2012 Whitsunday Islands - New Zealand

Trust you enjoy the Whitsundays in NZ.:D

See you also go to Brunei...

Been there as well, and in fact worked for the Sultan when he came to Auckland....

could tell some amazing stories about that,

but "My Lips Are Sealed",,

we had to sign a secrecy document:D

Great cruise ..Well done.

See you also go to Brunei...

Been there as well, and in fact worked for the Sultan when he came to Auckland....

could tell some amazing stories about that,

but "My Lips Are Sealed",,

we had to sign a secrecy document:D

That would have been a great experience for you David - from all accounts the Sultan is a very interesting man.

Brunei is the big attraction for me on this particular voyage - spent some time quite nearby in Sabah back in the 60s but would like to finally get to see the Sultanate.

Changing the subject - was it you saying you stopped at the Stamford on your last visit to Singapore?

The options on this trip are stopovers in either the Stamford or the Novotel - I'm currently favouring the Novotel but the Stamford looks good.

I've been in the Stamford - but only to visit the City Space bar on the 70th floor.

Interested to hear your views on the place if you've stopped there.

Changing the subject - was it you saying you stopped at the Stamford on your last visit to Singapore?The options on this trip are stopovers in either the Stamford or the Novotel - I'm currently favouring the Novotel but the Stamford looks good.

We were at the Fairmont, but I have a feeling the Stamford was right next door. If you walk downstairs into the shopping complex, they all seem to link up some how underground, and you begin to wonder which Hotel you are actually in.:D

Loved the Fairmont .We got a weekend package that included a fabulous breakfast.

Archived