Another CF Card question - Canon 40D

Hi there! I am looking for a recommendation for a CF card for my 40D. I have read about "fast" cards - but also that one can get (and pay extra for) a card that is beyond the capabilities of the camera. I'd like to get a "good" one - but not more than I need!

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Ollie

Hi there! I am looking for a recommendation for a CF card for my 40D. I have read about "fast" cards - but also that one can get (and pay extra for) a card that is beyond the capabilities of the camera. I'd like to get a "good" one - but not more than I need!

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Ollie

I typically use a Kingston 16gb, 133X Elite Pro. Being an avid wildlife photographer, especially birds, I find that at 6fps it does not take long to fill up a card. I have had no issues whatsoever with this card. It holds over 1000 photo's at the highest resolution, which normally will do me for a day of shooting (although I always have another in my pocket!).

Cheers,

You can read here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page13.asp

I recently lent a buddy of mine who uses a 40D my extreme IV that is 45MB/second. The card pretty much kept up with his shooting which is consistent with the review above.

IMHO only get a fast card if you shoot machine gun mode for sports or other stuff where you will actually fill the buffer. Paying for a fast card where you only shoot a few bursts of 5-10 pictures with long gaps isn't worth it to pay for speed you don't need.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Ollie

While my current cards are SDHCs, the same generalities I think holds true for CF cards.

I just buy cards at the most advantageous capacity/price point, which at this point, seems to be about 8Gb.

I normally buy Sandisk Class 2 or Class 4 cards (SD speed terminology), but I do have two 8GB fast Class 10 cards for the times I feel the need to do continuous shooting in RAW mode - which isn't often.

If I shoot continuous in JPG only, at my camera's 4fps rate, even the Class 2 cards will keep up.

So I have mostly slower cards, but a couple of fast cards if I feel the need for continuous/RAW.

The less expensive Class 2 or 4 usually run $15~$20 or so each for 8Gb which seems to me a good capacity/price point. The faster cards can cost double that amount.

As a result, I have a dozen or so memory cards, anywhere from 2Gb to 16Gb. They are small enough that you can fill a card wallet full of them and still not take up much room in your camera bag.

I have always run Sandisk SD cards and when I upgraded to my 50D and 7D I got into Transcend cards. They are pretty reasonable and very fast. I have now used 16GB and 32GB Transcend cards and they have not let me down, even work great for video on the 7D the couple times I played with that feature.

Archived