Shopping - Factory Outlets

bxh165

We are booked on Carnival Magic Apr 1, 2012 and we are going to be spending two days in Galveston at the Tremont pre cruise. I love to shop at the Factory outlets when I visit the states. Can anyone help me with this......what shopping is available in the Galveston area, and would I need to rent a car to get to the shopping centres. Thanks:cool:

Well to my Knowledge the nearest outlets are in Conroe, Texas. Which is about an hour and half north of Galveston, north west of Houston by 30 miles on I-45. Thats the only ones I know about you would need a car to get there. But shopping on the island, well there is not much. There is a mall half way between Houston and the island off the freeway, I dont know what that one is called.

Thank so much for the information but I think that would be too much driving for one day

There is an outlet mall out in Katy, but that is a 1 1/2 hour drive from Galveston too. Baybrook Mall is in Friendswood, south of Houston on the way to Galveston. There are several shopping centers in that general area as well.

There are some in LaMarque, north of the Causeway at Exit 13 off of I45 on the southbound side.

Factory Stores of America

12007 DELANEY ST

LA MARQUE, TX 77568-2504

I know that there is a Hanes store. I haven't been in a while, as I wasn't that impressed.

The mall midway is Baybrook in Webster which is nice, and there is also Mall of the Mainland in Texas City, however I'd go to Baybrook before there. JMO

We are booked on Carnival Magic Apr 1, 2012 and we are going to be spending two days in Galveston at the Tremont pre cruise. I love to shop at the Factory outlets when I visit the states. Can anyone help me with this......what shopping is available in the Galveston area, and would I need to rent a car to get to the shopping centres. Thanks:cool:

The best outlets in the Houston area are now out in Cypress, on highway 290. It's about an hour to an hour and a half drive from Galveston depending upon traffic. You would definitely need a car. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=77

Most of the outlet stores in Katy Mills have closed. That mall never quite took off. The outlet mall in La Marque is mostly closed; only a few stores are hanging on.

Thanks so much John. I just had a look at the site, and this is definitely what I am looking for. I even see that entreprise have special discounts for car rentals for outlet shoppers, yipee. I think it is worth it to rent a car and drive out early in the morning to have a good day shopping. I will keep this site close by.

Thanks so much John. I just had a look at the site, and this is definitely what I am looking for. I even see that entreprise have special discounts for car rentals for outlet shoppers, yipee. I think it is worth it to rent a car and drive out early in the morning to have a good day shopping. I will keep this site close by.

Just be aware that the only Enterprise office in Galveston closes at noon on Saturday. You might want to call the local Enterprise office at (409) 740-0700 and discuss their policies before you book.

As for getting there and back, if you don't want to pay tolls, you'll take 45 north to 610 west to 290 west (towards Austin). Plan on a 90 minute trip each way at minimum. http://mapq.st/kEMc57

Okay that sounds good to me John. Yes, I think you are right about the drop off time noon hour. We get in noon on Friday, so we will probably go up on Friday. Thanks for your help.

Okay that sounds good to me John. Yes, I think you are right about the drop off time noon hour. We get in noon on Friday, so we will probably go up on Friday. Thanks for your help.

I'm assuming you're coming into IAH since you're coming out of Canada. You'll already be halfway to Cypress coming out of the airport. From IAH, closest would be to take Beltway 8 west (toll) to 290 west (towards Austin). Then heading back from the mall, take 290 until it ends at 610, then 610 south through the Galleria over to 45 South. At noon, 290 west won't have much traffic on it, and coming back in the afternoon you will be going away from the afternoon rush on 290. Be patient on 610 and 45 in the afternoon as you might get some traffic there. Once you get beyond NASA Road 1 on 45, it will be pretty much smooth sailing down the freeway to Galveston.

610 and beltway 8 are loops. Make sure you get on in the right direction. When I flew out looking for a place to live, I got on the beltway going the opposite way so I ended up taking the l-o-n-g way to my hotel. I'm happy that they have those little GPS boxes now!

John, again, thanks so much for all you help. I know I must sound like a broken record. Yes, we are flying into IAH, but we were thinking about renting car in Galveston, but I may have to rethink that one. The drop off charge though is outrageous. To rent a car at entreprise, Friday and drop off Saturday it was like 243.00. But as you said that flying into Houston we are half way there. So maybe we will rent the car at the airport. A limo is going to cost us at least $100 or more to get from Houston to Galveston. Oh the decisions to make. Have a great day. Bev

Who knows? By April, you might not need to go to Cypress to hit the outlets. Developers plan to break ground on a new 90 store outlet mall in Texas City this month. That's pretty much the last stop on the mainland before you hit the causeway to get to Galveston.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8232958

Archived