Juneau - distance between Cruise dock and Mt. Roberts Tram for elderly person

dee66

Hi,

Does anyone know the distance between where the Coral princess docks and Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau? I have several elderly people coming with me on the cruise and our excursions meetup is in front of the tram. One person uses a walker and can not walk long distances.

Are there taxis avalaible at the docks? ANy information would be appreciated. Thanks.

We were there last month on the Princess Sapphire. At the dock was a shuttle bus that cost $3.00 for an all day pass. The shuttle dropped us off at the entrance to the tram. The only issue might be the long line to get onto the shuttle bus at the pier. There was no bench or place to sit down but if you waited to get off the ship until the first crush of people got disembarked you should be OK? It depends on where your ship is docked... we were almost a mile away from the main part of town but there was a HAL ship docked right downtown next to the tram entrance. You just never know. It seemed like the Sapphire was always at the far away dock and the HAL ships were right downtown.

My feet got damaged a week before our cruise and I called the "Special Needs at Sea" and rented a wheelchair for the duration of the cruise for $75 for the week. If you have someone who has trouble walking I would suggest you invest in a rental wheelchair for use during the cruise. I hesitated then decided it was crazy to spend thousands of dollars for a cruise and then balk at spending another $75 to make sure I was able to go and see the sights. That seemed silly. I was really glad I did rent the chair because I would have missed so much if I had not had it. The cruise line will have chairs to get you off and on the ship but you cannot use them once you get off the ship so you really need the rental chair for excursions. You can't enjoy the sights if you are tired and your feet are hurting :)

The docking locations generally are given out based on the date that cruise line started serving Juneau so HAL and Princess nearly always get the best docking positions.

The HAL Westerdam always gets best docking as she, her captain and her crew did a rescue a number of years ago that saved the lives of several Alaskan fishermen.

There are exceptions of course.

The ships that come seldom or have only been coming for a few years get lessor docking positions.

It is all up to the Harbor Master.

You can do a GOOGLE and see which is docking where on a particular date (subject to change of course.)

• 2 weeks later...

One year we were on Celebrity and at the AJ dock, and another year also on Celebrity, we right downtown, prime location. So I think it also may have to do with the hour that the ship arrives. I also know that the dock that is scheduled is not always the dock you GET.

I am glad to know about the $3 shuttle bus into town. Do you pay the driver, or do you buy tickets on the ship? In 2005 we had a free shuttle bus. I guess the cost of gasoline requires a charge now, rather than the cruiseline hiring a couple of buses to run all day.

We paid our $3.00 per person at a little booth on the pier and then stood in line while they loaded 3 or four full sized buses. The buses just filled up, drove to town and then came back for another load. It was about a mile to town from where the Sapphire was docked in May this year.

We just got back from the NB Coral Princess Vancouver to Whittier. It seems in Juneau and Skagway, we had the position dockside that was the furthest away and it was a very long walk. Those folks that have difficulty with walking long distances, should have a wheelchair for get a shuttle. I noticed that Holland America in Juneau was parked in front of the Roberts Tramway! Talk about convenience!! I do not know if this is the "assigned" spot for each sailing or if it changes. Juneau was great, had great buys on fleece jackets 2 for $40, they were perfect for the cool weather, it was warm enough for T-shirts, we went on the 2 hr Glacier Hike with Northstar Treking..a thrill of a lifetime!!:)

Archived