Progreso - advice on what not to miss

Trin1103

So DH and I will be sailing on the Elation on January for our first cruise - and we call in at Progreso for ouor first port of call.

Our second port is Cozumel - and I've pretty much got that one figured out (if Carnival would ever get their 2012 shore excursions re-signed!), but for the Progreso port I am so conflicted! I was wondering if anybody could give us some advice on this intriguing port? Specifically - I would like to know what is absolutely not to be missed - even if it's just a great little restaurant, gift shop or a lovely beach.

I've walked Progreso and a lot of Merida on Google Streetview, and I've researched all of the shore excursions that will (eventually) be offered - i.e. Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Dzibilchaltun, Xcambo etc. etc. Right now we're thinking that Uxmal and Chichen Itza are too far for a first-time visit (besides - we really want some time to just laze on the beach and do some shopping) - so I am eyeing up Dzibilchaltun for a little taste of the Mayan world.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!!

..Trin..

I just wanted to confirm your thoughts about Uxmal. While it's a beautiful place, the whole time in port will be spent traveling to and from Uxmal and not be able to see Progreso.

If you just want a relax time, here's what I suggest...

Once you take the free bus that takes you over the long pier, there is a triple decker bus tour for $4 per person which will take you around Progreso. I think it's a great way to get to see the area before you venture on your own.

After the tour, I like to walk around and do some shopping. Don't be afraid to haggle. It helps to have small bills ($1s and $5s).

Head down to the beach and there are some really good restraurants to take in some local food. I've only eated at Le Saint Bonnet, so I can't comment on other places. I have heard good things about Buddy's if you want to have a drink and relax on the beach.

There's also several places to get massages for around $15 or $20 dollars. I don't like massages, so I can't provide any reviews on that.

If your really up to it, you can look into going to Merida. I've never been there, but I'm sure someone else can help if you're interested.

I'll be in Progreso next month and plan on seeing Dzibilchaltun so my friends can get a taste of some ruins, but still allow us time to have lunch and shop a little.

I just wanted to confirm your thoughts about Uxmal. While it's a beautiful place, the whole time in port will be spent traveling to and from Uxmal and not be able to see Progreso.

If you just want a relax time, here's what I suggest...

Once you take the free bus that takes you over the long pier, there is a triple decker bus tour for $4 per person which will take you around Progreso. I think it's a great way to get to see the area before you venture on your own.

After the tour, I like to walk around and do some shopping. Don't be afraid to haggle. It helps to have small bills ($1s and $5s).

Head down to the beach and there are some really good restraurants to take in some local food. I've only eated at Le Saint Bonnet, so I can't comment on other places. I have heard good things about Buddy's if you want to have a drink and relax on the beach.

There's also several places to get massages for around $15 or $20 dollars. I don't like massages, so I can't provide any reviews on that.

If your really up to it, you can look into going to Merida. I've never been there, but I'm sure someone else can help if you're interested.

I'll be in Progreso next month and plan on seeing Dzibilchaltun so my friends can get a taste of some ruins, but still allow us time to have lunch and shop a little.

Hello Mommyof1! :)

What an awesome reply!! Thank you so much!!!!

I'm glad that you agree about the distance of Uxmal - both DH and myself would LOVE to see it - but I think for our first time cruise and first time there, a more laid-back itinerary is what is required! I am however extremely interested in Dzibilchaltun - mainly because that is the ruin that I am thinking about taking us to when we go there. It is reachable in a decent amount of time, and should allow us some spare free time afterwards to get some lunch/go to the beach/do some shopping.

It sounds like you and I have very similar desires for our trip to Progreso! :p

Please do drop me a line or post back on this thread once you have visited Progreso and Dzibilchaltun next month - I would dearly love to know how it went for you and any other tips you picked up along the way!

..Trin..

Trin1103, Im also in Arkansas & will be cruising, with my wife & a another couple, to Progreso & Cozumel in Jan. 2012. Cool to see other Arkansans on these boards & planning a trip to the same parts of the world. It really is a "small world."

I'll be watching here in hopes to get more info on these excursions.

Trin1103, Im also in Arkansas & will be cruising, with my wife & a another couple, to Progreso & Cozumel in Jan. 2012. Cool to see other Arkansans on these boards & planning a trip to the same parts of the world. It really is a "small world."

I'll be watching here in hopes to get more info on these excursions.

Hey Guthrie!!

Oh yes - I learn more and more every day just how small the world is! ;) So great to see you posting on here!! Are you sailing in January with Carnival out of NOLA? Would be hilarious if we were on the same cruise - we are on the Elation out of NOLA, we sail on Jan 23rd 2012! If we go before you guys - I will certainly post some feedback when we get home on what not to miss! Hope you'll do the same!!

Cheers!

..Trin..

I'm glad that you agree about the distance of Uxmal - both DH and myself would LOVE to see it - but I think for our first time cruise and first time there, a more laid-back itinerary is what is required! I am however extremely interested in Dzibilchaltun - mainly because that is the ruin that I am thinking about taking us to when we go there. It is reachable in a decent amount of time, and should allow us some spare free time afterwards to get some lunch/go to the beach/do some shopping.

Please do drop me a line or post back on this thread once you have visited Progreso and Dzibilchaltun next month - I would dearly love to know how it went for you and any other tips you picked up along the way!

..Trin..

We did the Progresso/Cozumel cruise on Elation this past March. Our college-aged kids were with us, one of whom is/was a History major. We chose this cruise specifically to see Uxmal or Chichen Itza. We ended up at Uxmal - and we didn't regret it. Yes, it is a rather long bus ride to get there, but we were at the site for almost 3 hours. We could have easily spent more time there though!

These are UNESCO World Heritage sites - on par with the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids, etc. Our history-loving family couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Our thinking was that we would use Cozumel as our lazy beach day, and that's what we did!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the major Mayan ruins are worthy of a visit.

Chichen Itza is the reason Carnival stops in Progresso. It is a very long bus ride but it takes you through Merida and along lots of streets that most tourists won't ever see. The barricaded machine guns at the entry gate are also pretty exciting! That has to be one of the most secure parks in the world.

Hey Guthrie!!

Oh yes - I learn more and more every day just how small the world is! ;) So great to see you posting on here!! Are you sailing in January with Carnival out of NOLA? Would be hilarious if we were on the same cruise - we are on the Elation out of NOLA, we sail on Jan 23rd 2012! If we go before you guys - I will certainly post some feedback when we get home on what not to miss! Hope you'll do the same!!

Cheers!

..Trin..

Trin,

We are leaving out of NOLA, on Elation, but a couple weeks ahead of you. We are booked for Jan 9-14.

I'm not sure at this point what we'll get into in Progreso or Cozumel.

I'll keep you in mind & share our experiance with you as we get closer to our sailing date & afterward too.

This thread is giving me some great ideas. I just can say that I'd be too excited about a long bus ride.

That doesn't sound too fun. LOL

Trin,

We are leaving out of NOLA, on Elation, but a couple weeks ahead of you. We are booked for Jan 9-14.

I'm not sure at this point what we'll get into in Progreso or Cozumel.

I'll keep you in mind & share our experiance with you as we get closer to our sailing date & afterward too.

This thread is giving me some great ideas. I just can say that I'd be too excited about a long bus ride.

That doesn't sound too fun. LOL

Cool! That's really neat that there are so many of us doing the same cruise in January on the same ship - just on different dates!! :cool: We will certainly all have to share our experiences after coming home......

No - the long bus ride is definitely not for us first-time round. It will be our first cruise - and a very much needed vacation. Dzibilchaltun will be fine for us - give us a taste of the Mayan ruins and still give us plenty of time to enjoy the beaches and promenade area with shopping and eateries.

Speaking of which - here is a restaurant that is considered one of the best and is right within a stone's throw of the pier:-

http://www.lesaintbonnet.com/

If you want to read their menu in English - just run it through Google Translate. It works pretty well!

Happy cruising to all on the Elation - and bring back your stories!! :D

..Trin..

Hello Mommyof1! :)

What an awesome reply!! Thank you so much!!!!

..Trin..

Glad I could share with you. I'll be sure to take notes and share when I get back.

At le Saint Bonnet try the whole deep-fried snapper. Fantastic. I've had it about six times.

Awesome! Will do! :D

And for those in our party (that would be, uh, me.....cough cough) who don't particularly like food from the sea - what else is excellent at LSB?

..Trin..

Awesome! Will do! :D

And for those in our party (that would be, uh, me.....cough cough) who don't particularly like food from the sea - what else is excellent at LSB?

..Trin..

Trin,

I don't like seafood either, so I had the chicken tacos. Simple, but delicious! I also couldn't get enough of the chips and salsa...YUM!

Alot of Arkies on CC... My hubby and I are going in November... Looking forward to some down time. I love the idea for the double decker bus, then some time at a beach. And the snapper sounds great. Was wondering how expensive it was.

• 4 weeks later...

Last week I toured the Dzibilchaltun ruins with Autoprogreso and I was sadly disappointed. I don't know if this was just lack of planning on my part, or a lack of information from Autoprogreso.

I emailed Autoprogreso a few months ago for a reservation. I was told they didn't need any money at the time, so I would just pay when I got there. I was given info on how to find the Autoprogeso stand, but that was it. It wasn't until we were already at sea that I realized I didn't have a time of the tour.

Since we didn't know what time the tour left, we all got off the ship at 8:30am, found a rep from Autoprogeso at the water fountain when you first get off the ship and was told the tour didn't start until 10:15a.

Keep in mind it's August, so it already felt like 100 degrees at 9am. We wander around the shops until 10:05a, then waited with the rest of the tour for our bus. I asked the woman who walked us to our bus what time the tour would come back to Progeso, but she didn't speak english. I asked the driver and he didn't know. Finally 15 minutes into the ride, the guide said we'd be back around 1:45p.

Since the ruins were the closest to port, I originally planned on touring the ruins and still have time to come back to Progreso for lunch and a little shopping. I'm also Hypoglycemic, so if I don't eat, I get really sick.

At this point, I'm stuck on the bus and just hoping there will be somewhere to eat when we get to the ruins. Well I was wrong! There was a little shop to buy water and snacks (chips, crackers, etc), but that was it. The tour of the ruins ended at 12:10p which gave people time to swim in the cenote. We weren't heading back to town until 1:45p. At this point we are all dripping with sweat, we didn't bring swimsuits since none of us planned to swim, so waiting around for about an hr and a half in the heat was not an option.

We asked our guide if we could hop a ride with another tour back to town. Since none of the other tours were part of Autoprogeso, he said no. He said we could take a cab, but we didn't feel comfortable with that. At this point we were determined to leave, I was starting to feel sick b/c of the heat, and my blood sugar level was dropping. My sister was able to get us a ride with another tour group back to town (We felt like we were on the Amazing Race..LOL).

So, if I were to do this all over again, first I'd find out what time the tour leaves, what time it comes back, and if there is a restaurant within the ruins.

We did the Merida city tour with AutoProgresso and could not have been happier. Merida is a beautiful city of 1,000,000 people and is the capital of the Yucatan state. Lots of interesting architecture ( including a gorgeous church from the 1500's in the town center ). Ate lunch at local restaurant , did a little shopping, and had a fantastic tour guide. It was great.

We did the Mayan Ruins (Dzibilchaltun) & Beach Break Combo in Progresso last time. See below; It was worth the price of $79.95 in my opinion. You do feel a bit rushed at the ruins, I would suggest if you don't care about listening to the guide about the history to explore on your own when you get there, just make sure you're back on the bus before they leave. The other ruins require a much longer bus ride, these were the closest. We didn't get in the water at the beach break part but a few did. The beach in Progresso is nothing like Cozumel, not very attractive.

Excursion Description

Take a journey back in time to explore the ancient Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins followed by a relaxing beach break.

On this excursion you will:

Begin with an approximate 40-minute bus ride to one of the oldest and most populated Mayan cities in the Yucatan.

Explore the temples and buildings used before the arrival of the Spaniards.

See the Temple of the Seven Dolls, a tribute to the Mayan’s astronomical skills.

Visit the ancient cenote which was the life center of the city.

Be transported to one of the best beach spots in Progreso after exploring the ruins.

Take a refreshing swimin the swimming pool or just relax in your lounge chair overlooking the ocean.

Enjoy the beach club’s private beach area and domestic open bar.

Note: Guests are only permitted to take a camera and water to the ruins; personal belongings may be left aboard the bus.

I'm glad I found this thread! We sail on the Elation on Jan 14th...it's

a family reunion cruise for us. My great-uncle is traveling

from Canada and we are hoping my great-aunt from Ireland

can make it too! We've been wondering what to do in Progresso!

I don't think we will be visiting any ruins and was wondering

if there is anything else to do there. :)

Archived