Hotel Flora or Hotel Paganelli in Venice?

cadburysmom

Hi, I need help with hotel in Venice.

I will be staying solo one night pre-cruise in Venice and wanted something near Piazza San Marco. I've heard good things about both these hotels and need input from those who've stayed at both/either.

Hotel Flora gets slightly better reviews on Tripadvisor, is about $40 cheaper and looks to be more charming but located a few streets back which might be hard to find after an overnight flight and dragging two bags in the heat.

Hotel Paganelli is near Hotel Danielli right on the water across from a vapporetta stop, about $40 more and reviewed lower on Tripadvisor.

I'm planning to take the airport shuttle boat to San Marco and find my hotel on foot from there with a carryon and rolling medium suitcase.

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

Actually, Flora is one of the easier hotels to get to. When you exit the San Marco vaporetto, turn left onto the waterside street, Fondamenta delle Farine. Continue walking along the water to the third street, Calle Tredici. Turn right and walk until this enters the Piazza San Moise. Walk across this piazza in the direction you were walking until you see a street enter the square on your left. This is Calle Larga XXII Marzo, the street on which the hotel is located. Turn left and continue walking until you see the sign for the hotel. You'll have to walk down a narrow lane to actually enter the hotel, but the hotel's sign is visible on Calle ... Marzo itself.

If you're coming back to the hotel from the San Marco area, stand with your back to the Basilica in the piazza. Directly opposite you, you'll see one and only one break in the stores that ring the piazza. Walk throught that opening. At the first street IMMEDIATELY after the archway, make a left (Calle ... dell Ascensione). Make a right on the second street after the post office. I don't know the name of this street, but you'll see lots of other people following this same route. It's the route to the Prada store, to the San Moise church (that's the Saint Moses Church -- a must see as an example of the fact that Byzantine Christianity worships all the Jewish patriarchs) and one of the major routes that eventually leads to Piazzale Roma.

Basically, when walking in Venice, prepare to simply go with the flow and remarkably you'll often arrive at your destination.

Actually, Flora is one of the easier hotels to get to. When you exit the San Marco vaporetto, turn left onto the waterside street, Fondamenta delle Farine. Continue walking along the water to the third street, Calle Tredici. Turn right and walk until this enters the Piazza San Moise. Walk across this piazza in the direction you were walking until you see a street enter the square on your left. This is Calle Larga XXII Marzo, the street on which the hotel is located. Turn left and continue walking until you see the sign for the hotel. You'll have to walk down a narrow lane to actually enter the hotel, but the hotel's sign is visible on Calle ... Marzo itself.

If you're coming back to the hotel from the San Marco area, stand with your back to the Basilica in the piazza. Directly opposite you, you'll see one and only one break in the stores that ring the piazza. Walk throught that opening. At the first street IMMEDIATELY after the archway, make a left (Calle ... dell Ascensione). Make a right on the second street after the post office. I don't know the name of this street, but you'll see lots of other people following this same route. It's the route to the Prada store, to the San Moise church (that's the Saint Moses Church -- a must see as an example of the fact that Byzantine Christianity worships all the Jewish patriarchs) and one of the major routes that eventually leads to Piazzale Roma.

Basically, when walking in Venice, prepare to simply go with the flow and remarkably you'll often arrive at your destination.

That's such a relief to hear. I've heard many good things about Hotel Flora and looks like Hotel Pagnelli is no longer available. Thanks again. :)

Actually, Flora is one of the easier hotels to get to. When you exit the San Marco vaporetto, turn left onto the waterside street, Fondamenta delle Farine. Continue walking along the water to the third street, Calle Tredici.

The directions I supplied are based on the map in my copy of the EYEWITNESS guide to Venice and the Veneto. I was browsing the VeniceConnected web site since we anticipate visiting again in 2013 for the Biennale and I looked at their map. This version suggests that the waterside street does not go as far as the third street -- that you'll be forced to turn right at the first street Calle Valleresso. Then, I went to my cache of maps from previous trips and found the one given out by the Venice hotel association. It shows that the waterside street goes as far as the third street, but uses a different name for that street -- here called Calle d. 13 Martiri.

Two out of three sources suggest you'll be able to go as far as the third street which takes you directly into Piazza San Moise. If you'll need to turn right at the first street, you're actually going to link up with the directions I already supplied for the route from P. San Marco. Remember that second right for which I had no name? It's called Salizza S. Moise and leads you into Piazza San Moise along the northern wall of the church. (Prada is on this street) From Salizza S. Moise, you'll have to jog left when you enter the piazza to exit it on Calle Larga 22 Marzo.

I've probably drowned you in details, but I'm trying to help you avoid the ridiculous situation in which we found ourselves on our first visit to Venice: detailed instructions for finding the hotel which didn't match up with where we were located.

If you need help on the ground, ask for directions to the San Moise church and you'll be good from there. The best source of directions will be from a shop clerk; most people to your right and left will be tourists, too!

The directions I supplied are based on the map in my copy of the EYEWITNESS guide to Venice and the Veneto. I was browsing the VeniceConnected web site since we anticipate visiting again in 2013 for the Biennale and I looked at their map. This version suggests that the waterside street does not go as far as the third street -- that you'll be forced to turn right at the first street Calle Valleresso. Then, I went to my cache of maps from previous trips and found the one given out by the Venice hotel association. It shows that the waterside street goes as far as the third street, but uses a different name for that street -- here called Calle d. 13 Martiri.

Two out of three sources suggest you'll be able to go as far as the third street which takes you directly into Piazza San Moise. If you'll need to turn right at the first street, you're actually going to link up with the directions I already supplied for the route from P. San Marco. Remember that second right for which I had no name? It's called Salizza S. Moise and leads you into Piazza San Moise along the northern wall of the church. (Prada is on this street) From Salizza S. Moise, you'll have to jog left when you enter the piazza to exit it on Calle Larga 22 Marzo.

I've probably drowned you in details, but I'm trying to help you avoid the ridiculous situation in which we found ourselves on our first visit to Venice: detailed instructions for finding the hotel which didn't match up with where we were located.

If you need help on the ground, ask for directions to the San Moise church and you'll be good from there. The best source of directions will be from a shop clerk; most people to your right and left will be tourists, too!

Thank you for your help and no, not drowning me in details at all. Any info, big or small, is greatly appreciated! :D

Archived