London 4 days suggestions and comments

I would appreciate your input (John Bull :-))

Arrival day (we are staying on the south bank)

Tate Modern

Globe theatre

St Pauls

London Eye

Thames River Cruise

Second Day

Parliament Tour (booked) 10am

Westminster Abbey

War Rooms

Harrods

V & A

BBC Proms (have tickets)

Third Day

Tower of London (when it opens)

Lunch Liberty Bowls

National Gallery

Buckingham Palace ( we have 4pm reservations)

Dinner (suggestions)

Ceremony of the Keys (we have tickets)

Fourth Day

British museum

get twofer tickets for that evening

Open here for suggestions

Dinner with friends

Theatre

There you have it. Thanks so much everyone

I would appreciate your input (John Bull :-))

Tate Modern

Globe theatre

St Pauls

London Eye

Thames River Cruise

Second Day

Westminster Abbey

War Rooms

Harrods

V & A

BBC Proms (have tickets)

Third Day

Tower of London (when it opens)

Lunch Liberty Bowls

National Gallery

Buckingham Palace ( we have 4pm reservations)

Dinner (suggestions)

Ceremony of the Keys (we have tickets)

Fourth Day

British museum

Dinner with friends

Theatre

There you have it. Thanks so much everyone

You might not finish all pr day

No good askin' me, my old china. I'm no cockney sparrow :p

But plenty of Londoners on this forum.

One will be along soon.

I'm only a country yokel, but to me your itinerary looks well-considered & well-planned.

Day 1: All on the South Bank, except St Paul's. Consider walking to St Paul's from Globe/Tate Modern, 10 mins walk using the pedestrian bridge over the river (Millenium Bridge)

Day 2: Take a look at the statues in Parliament Square, some will surprise you. And lots of sights in Whitehall, incl Downing St, Cenotaph, Horseguards Parade, Banqueting Hall (sole remaining building in the original White Hall) & the original Scotland Yard. Take a walk up Whitehall from Parliament, or next day down from Nat Gallery.

Day 3: Walk down from the Tower to Tower Bridge.

Dinner - you'll need to suggest your preferences / prices, otherwise you'll get suggestions from jellied eels or pie 'n' mash through to spit-roasted swan or toasted newspaper baron's sweetmeats.

Theatre tickets - bargain late seats for lots of shows. There's dozens of theatres. From Lloyd-Webber to "We will Rock You". But I'm out of my depth for advising best way of getting tickets.

Wait for a Londoner to post.

You'll wait a while.

Then three will come at once.

JB :)

I'd reverse day one, depending on when you arrive:

Tate Modern

Globe theatre

St Pauls

London Eye

Thames River Cruise

From your hotel on the Southbank, walk along the river towards Tower Bridge.

You'll pass the Southbank complex (and unless you want to do it in the evening), take in / do the London Eye.

Walk onwards past the Oxo Tower (great views and cocktails are a bit pricey, but glam) and towards Blackfriars bridge (possible stop for a drink in the pub there).

Go to the Tate Modern (the first / second floor has a great view of the river and is good to take a picture across the millenium bridge to St Paul's).

Depending on the time, you may go on to the Globe or St Paul's first. Globe shows are 2 and 7.30 pm and 1 and 6.30 pm on Sundays - you can pay £5 for standing tickets or if you only want to be in for the beginining / picture taking opportunities and some of the show. Seats are a little more expensive £15-£37.50.

If you go to the Globe, think about grabbing a meal at Tas Pide on New Globe Walk.

Second Day

Westminster Abbey

War Rooms

Harrods

V & A

BBC Proms (have tickets)

A lot to squeeze in if you do it all! It's not clear if this is your first visit to London

Parliament Tour, Westminster Abbey, War Rooms

- continue the walk down Whitehall, Banqueting House (even if you don't pay to go in - you need to do two things: 1- Charles I stepped out of the first floor to the gallows, 2 - they have a great ladies (not sure about the mens), ask nicely if you can use them - I love glam toilets!!). You then need to go to Horseguards and you can choose not to go to the monument / the Mall. If not now, then tomorrow after the national, then you have to def walk to Trafalgar Square and take pictures with the lions.

I'd be really tempted to ask you to double back at this stage to do the Tate Britain as I prefer it to the Tate Modern. They have some real jokers working for them, who've created targeted guides for a quick self tour - (the I like Yellow collection, the first date collection, I have a big meeting collection, I've just been dumped collection, I like animals collection or the I'm feeling blue collection). However - following your theme:

Jump on a bus / tube to South Ken http://www.tfl.gov.uk and grab lunch or a snack at http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/, opp the V&A as you will then be in the heart of French London. I'd then spend time in the V&A and Natural History museums if you're still up to it.

Then I'd walk / bus to the Albert Hall and take some pictures of the Albert Memorial, a beautiful building housing the Royal College of (can't remember now) and have dinner at the Prince Consort restaurant at the Albert Hall - (I'll declare an interest in that the last 15 times I've eaten there, my friend got me the staff discount of 60% off the meal) However, I thought the food was great and added to the occasion. Then take a walk as it's a really lovely area.

If you think that you still want to try to squeeze in Harrods, then I'd do it when you slotted, but I still think it is too much.

Fourth Day

British museum

Dinner with friends

Theatre

After the museum, I'd take the piccaddily line from Russell Sq to Knightsbrige and fit in Harrods then

For dinner & show tickets, http://www.whatsonstage.com is really good - have a look at what's on at the open air theatre there or on http://www.lastminute.com.

as you're close it may be worth having a look at the national theatre

Fourth Day

British museum

Dinner with friends

Theatre

After the museum, I'd take the piccaddily line from Russell Sq to Knightsbrige and fit in Harrods then

For dinner & show tickets, http://www.whatsonstage.com is really good - have a look at what's on at the open air theatre there or on http://www.lastminute.com.

as you're close it may be worth having a look at the national theatre

I have been to London before but DH has not. I missed Harrods last time but really don't care that much if I miss it again. Thanks for the advice.

Archived