€ 6.00 Toulon/La Seyne Sur Mer Excursion

kellyclayt

Before we went I had ordered maps from the tourism offices of both La Seyne Sur Mer (ot-la-seyne-sur-mer.fr) and Toulon (toulontourisme.com). They both sent really nice maps and additional information. We also "google mapped" where we were going and used the Reseau Mistral web site to see where to catch the boats and trains in addition to printing the timetables, etc.

When we arrived in La Seyne Sur Mer, we walked about one mile to the Reseau Mistral office:

A la Seyne-sur-Mer

Agency Business Network Mistral

agence_seyne_enseigne200.jpg

12 quai Saturnin Fabre (you can google map this address to see exactly where it is)

We purchased the all day bus / boats / cable car pass which is called “abonnement 1 jour téléphérique” for € 6.00. We also picked schedules for boat #8, boat #18, bus #40, and bus #83

abo1jour_tel.jpg

We walked across the street and took the #8 boat to Toulon. This was not the boat stop closest to the ship (espace marine), but the one in town (seyne) which is right across the street from the office where we bought the tickets.

http://www.reseaumistral.com/ftp/img_lignes/itineraire_ligne_8M.pdf

After we reached Toulon, we walked to the closest bus stop and looked to be sure that bus #40 came there - it did.

http://www.reseaumistral.com/ftp/img_lignes/itineraire_ligne_40.pdf

We took bus #40 in the direction of Mas du Faron and got off at telepherique where we rode the cable car up Mount Faron. The views were stunning and there was no line at all to get on the cable car. Because both my husband's and my grandfathers were in World War II, we wanted to visit the Musee Memorial Du Debarquement museum and they let us in free! It was very interesting. There is also a zoo at the top (We didn't visit this), a souvenir shop, and a small cafe.

After visiting the museum and enjoying the views, we took the cable car back down, took bus #40 in the direction of La Barre and went back to where we started in Toulon. We got a drink, enjoyed the cafes and waterfront area for a while.

We returned to the same place where we got off boat #8 and this time took boat #18 to Les Sablettes.

http://www.reseaumistral.com/ftp/img_lignes/itineraire_ligne_18M.pdf

There were a lot of Toulon locals dressed for the beach taking this boat. When we arrived at the Les Sablettes dock, we crossed the street and walked through the pretty little park area to the beach where there is a carousel, restaurants, shops, and a pretty nice beach area. The bus stop is right in front of the boat stop. We checked the bus stop timetable before we walked over the the beach and wrote down the times for the #83 buses for our return to the ship.

http://www.reseaumistral.com/ftp/img_lignes/itineraire_ligne_83.pdf

After enjoying the beach for a little while we walked back to the bus stop which is right where we got off the boat and took bus #83 back to the street in front of the ship. We actually ended up talking with one of the glass blowers from the ship who had gone to the beach for the day and rode back on the bus with her.

The french bus system was extremely easy to use with timetables posted at the stops and electronic screens inside the buses showing the current and upcoming stops. All the boats, buses, and the cable car were in included in our € 6.00 pass.

Our ship was in port 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., so we did have a long time, but we actually didn't get off immediately and were back on the ship before 4 p.m. You could really take more or less time as you like. We spent a while swimming at the beach before we came back.

Sounds good! Going there in 2 weeks or so and might follow your little trip! What kind of timings are we looking at here? Was this an all day affair?

Thanks for your time in putting that up!

We were there on a Thursday, but the transit lines all run on Sundays. You can find the schedules on the reseau mistral web site.

What day were you in port? I am afraid with us being in port on Sunday the nothing will be open.:eek:

Sounds great. That's exactly what I hoped to do in Toulon. But we had a few problems

- Since we were arriving on Sunday, I wasn't sure if there would be anywhere to buy that ticket. I believe the ticket office you used is closed on Sunday. And while all the transit runs on Sunday, there is a very limited schedule for the #40 bus.

- All my plans ended up being moot, as there were high winds the day we docked and the cable car was closed.

Ahhh, I had heard about the fact that they close the cable car if it's too windy. Our backup plan was to buy the bus/boat ticket for 3.90€ and then do the Petit Train in Toulon instead of the telepherique (cable car) and then the rest of the day the same.

I think that you're right about the office not being open on Sundays. Here are their hours copy-pasted from their web site:

Monday to Friday: from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Saturday: from 8:00 to 12:30

This is from an email message that I received from a very helpful person at the La Seyne Sur Mer tourisme office:

Hello and thank you for your interest, it’s a pleasure to have news from San Jose (please kiss Jessica Alba for me ! J).

Unfortunately I confirm it’s not possible for you to purchase passes online due to the dollar / euro difference.

But that’s ok you will find many places to buy any passes. The one for all day bus / boats / cable car is called “abonnement 1 jour téléphérique” http://www.reseaumistral.com/tarif/index.asp?rub_code=7&thm_id=1384&tar_id=4

You’ll find a Reseau Mistral Agency by the port here : http://www.reseaumistral.com/presentation/index.asp?rub_code=52&thm_id=1321&gpl_id=

And many stores in La Seyne sur Mer : http://www.reseaumistral.com/depositaire/index.asp?com_id=83126&submit1=OK&rub_code=15&thm_id=1298

Allo bus : 04 94 03 87 03

I wish you a nice journey in the French Riviera, greatest place on earth J

Some of those may be open on Sunday, but I didn't check them out since we were there on a Thursday. We did run into the Sunday propblem when we were in Sardinia - too bad =(

The schedule for bus 40 is somewhat limited on Sundays, but not too much:

http://www.reseaumistral.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6&thm_id=1150&gpl_id=0&lign_id=8&sens=1&date=31%2F07%2F2011&index=1

We didn't use those first listed stops - the ones that were very limited in pick-up times. We started at Rue D'Alger which was close to where the #8 Boat dropped us off.

Sounds great. That's exactly what I hoped to do in Toulon. But we had a few problems

- Since we were arriving on Sunday, I wasn't sure if there would be anywhere to buy that ticket. I believe the ticket office you used is closed on Sunday. And while all the transit runs on Sunday, there is a very limited schedule for the #40 bus.

- All my plans ended up being moot, as there were high winds the day we docked and the cable car was closed.

P7070332.JPG

A lot of little cafes on the waterfront

P7070333.JPG

This statue was interesting to us because we saw it in the film at the embarkation museum. It was badly damaged in WWII

P7070334.JPG

This is the board at the dock where the boat brings you. Seyne Centre is to go back to the ship (boat 8) and Sablettes is to go to the beach we went to (boat 18)

P7070338.JPG

One of the ferries

P7070340.JPG

Waiting for our boat to Les Sablettes

P7070341.JPG

Archived