Disabled in Bermuda--queries

Leo41

We are two seniors visiting Bermuda for the first time. My sister and I both have mobility problems. I will be renting a scooter to use on the ship, but is it possible to use it to 'tour' the Dockyard? That is, are there stairs to consider that would make the scooter impossible?

We will have a manual wheelchair with us and are hoping we'll be able to take it on the ship's excursion to Hamilton on Wednesday evening. There's a 'weight limit' so I'm assuming that I can't bring the scooter--but I'm going to check on that with Shore Excursions on board. If we can't take the scooter, does anyone know whether there are benches or places to sit in downtown Hamilton (because we can't stand for any significant length of time)?

Finally, we have booked Colin Jennings for a tour our first day in port, are planning to do the Dockyard on our own on the second day. Since we don't want to go far from the ship on Day 3, does anyone have any other suggestions? (Currently, we're just planning to 'play it by ear' as we might find ourselves too exhausted to do much at all.)

The ferries are very accessable to mobility scooters. Took my Travelscoot on the ferry for a day in Hamilton last October. Hamilton has sidewalk cuts & is very accessable. Went to St. George via the ferry the next day. That town dos not have the sidewalk cuts, but I got around pretty well, including up some steep hills:). Should have little or no problem getting around Dockyard/Kings Wharf. I understand the busses are not equipped to accomodate scooters.

David

Thanks for all the good advice! I'm glad to know that I should be able to use my scooter at the Dockyard.

I also think I'd prefer to stay on the ship our last day. I suspect that we're going to be exhausted after 2 days of exploring, including the night visit to Hamilton. The second night we're dining late (8 pm) at the Normandie to celebrate my 70th birthday, so I suspect we won't be inclined to do much that last day--and we've stay on the ship in ports in the past and it really is nice when the 'crowds' are all ashore!

Ferries to both St. George and Hamilton are accessible to you via scooter -- the larger ferry has a steep incline, but they will assist you if needed. The smaller, local ferries look like a catamaran and are flat -- you wait for the level you can get on -- if not possible -- ferry carries metal ramps. You stay inside on ferry on scooter. And are on a special first-in line. Very nice.

Hamilton -- shopping, restaurants -- curb cuts throughout -- sometimes though not at the corner. Some stores have one step, but good selection that are accessible. Public bathrooms about 1 block from ferry on ferry side of street.

St. George's - 12:30 is public dunking -- enjoyable 1/2 hr. at Square -- free. Shops, sights, a lot of cobblestone streets and slightly inclined -- meaning street is on an angle, but doable with scooter. Nice tram ride around island -- highlights for approx. $20 - 1 hour -- can leave scooter under porch of ticketstand unattended and safe (take key with you) --- the step onto tram is similar to height of a van.

Dockyard -- Can get into all stores - ramp into glass blowing. If a sturdy powered scooter (large incline) -- Governor's Mansion -- Museum is highly interesting and recommended -- lots of history - small charge -- very enjoyable. Little things like postcards written in code during the war on display -- not your typical museum. It's over by Snorkel Park where the Dolphin Display is -- also not to be missed and right there at the Dockyard.

If you can get transportation to them --the Aquarium/Zoo (small) is accessible, as well as the Underwater Museum -- both outside of Hamilton. Swizzle Inn is an interesting eating place -- but not inexpensive. Enjoy Bermuda with the scooter. Vicki

Archived