Anchorage Excursions

Dreamakermom

You guys helped me so much on the last Port of Interest, that I am going to continue learning from you. I need suggestions for when we stop in Anchorage. We have "Full Day & Evening" so please, tell me what you liked the best!!! Thanks ahead of time!!!;)

We are just back off the Amsterdam. Last year we did the Grandview train ride. It was a long 10 hours, but very lovely scenery. This year we did the wildlife refuge and Portage glacier tour. Really enjoyed this. It is a great bus ride along Turnigan Arm (sit on the right side of the bus for best views - right side facing front). Then a tour through an animal rescue area that included moose, bison, grizzlies, eagles, reindeer, black bears. Very interesting. Then off to a boat tour right up to the face of Portage glacier. The scenery is just amazing!!

;)We were in Anchorage in June. Took in the Anchorage Museum and they we rented mountain bikes and rode the Tony Knowels Trail. It was a blast! A cheap excursion and lots of FUN! (then we went shopping;))

We are just back off the Amsterdam. Last year we did the Grandview train ride. It was a long 10 hours, but very lovely scenery. This year we did the wildlife refuge and Portage glacier tour. Really enjoyed this. It is a great bus ride along Turnigan Arm (sit on the right side of the bus for best views - right side facing front). Then a tour through an animal rescue area that included moose, bison, grizzlies, eagles, reindeer, black bears. Very interesting. Then off to a boat tour right up to the face of Portage glacier. The scenery is just amazing!![/quote]

We totally agree. Took this excursion in May and thought it was one of the best on our trip. Portage Glacier was amazing to see.

We also did the Wildlife Refuge and Portage Glacier boat trip this year. The refuge was interesting, the animals beautiful and the glacier cruise brought us closer to a glacier than we have been before in a boat (although we have walked on glaciers and dog sledded on them as well). It was well worth the money and took about 5 1/2 - 6 hours rather than a lot of the excursions that take 9 - 10 hours.

Archived