Nanaimo?...goin 1st time in sept..

I feel obliged to answer since you have not had any responses yet - I went to Nanaimo in 2005 for a conference, and it really is just a small town. It is very pretty, but the "to-do" things here are mostly outdoor activities, like golf, kayaking, fishing, hiking, etc.

I had no idea cruise ships went there - hope you have a good time!

Will be on ncl star...

What should i do?

What should i not do?

Dobee dobee do :>))

For those that know Nanaimo (and this is only funny if you do);

Nanaimo is an ancient Indian word meaning "too many malls"; and the best thing that's happened to the city in the last 10 years was the bypass getting built.

More seriously... It's known as the 'hub city' as it's central on Vancouver Island, and has a lot of big box stores that serve the North Island. Among some of the more popular things to do are out to Cathedral Grove (MacMillan Provincial Park) on the road to Port Alberni where there are some HUUUGE trees, a quick trip down to the Bungy Zone if you like that sort of thing. The downtown waterfront is being re-vitalized; and there's a little ferry over to Newcastle Island which is kind of nice.

This web page will probably help: http://www.tourismnanaimo.com/content/things-do

Once I get home to Vancouver I will get you some more info on Nanaimo - also go to the Pacific Northwest board - there is a good thread on Nanaimo there and a CC who lives there will drop in every once in awhile and answer the questions.

See you on the Star in Sept and cheers.

Dennis

Archived