Tween Tips

AtlFolks

We are sailing on the Dream next month with two tweens (11 yrs). What has been the experience of any tween program veterans; and what advice can we pass along to our tweens about what to do and when during periods when we give them some independent roaming time?

My dd 11 went to the edge a few times during the cruise. Make sure they go on the first night so they can make some friends. My daughter used the wave phones once to get some freedom and did the Mickey's detective game which was alot of fun. If you aren't familiar with it, they chose one of two cases to "solve" and a map with the places they go to check for clues. They wave their badge in front of certain pictures on the wall and they come to life with clues. Alot of fun and will give you about an hour of peace!

• 2 weeks later...
my granddaughter went to club first night and met up with a new friend, they text now. they had a lot of fun together both in club and running around ship together have fun

And, Sorry to thread jack ...

Swimgranny I was just about to type the same thing, and then I noticed you are in MO ... so is my daughter's text buddy .... coincidence ? You didn't happen to be on the Dream's Feb 3rd sailing did you ?

Back to your regularly scheduled thread:

My daughter and I visited Edge the first night. She was still 10 but close enough to her birthday that she had the option to choose either Egde or the Lab. Edge won hands down ! There were many organized activities but there was plenty else to do in there as well. We utilized the wave phones, and the first day met my daughter on deck 11 when she was going to venture her way back to the cabin to help her learn the ship. She really enjoyed the social aspect of the club but also the bit of independence she had.

If you are going to let your tweens roam around freely I would suggest to them to stay in certain areas (ie pool deck, D Lounge, Edge) and to check in from time to time. I would also make sure they know what behaviors you expect from them and what happens if you find they don't behave. Utilize the wave phones but know that there is a hefty fine if one is lost or broken ($250) They do give both the tweens and the parents a certain peace of mind. I would maybe take a tour of the ship with them before setting them loose to help them get their bearings.

I think the Dream is a great ship for the tween age and you will have a lot of fun ! Don't forget to come back and give us all of the wonderful details :)

Archived