Quest: Enrichment program / Marina Day

CraftyEC

We are very much looking forward to our first Seabourn cruise, and I'm sure that the bits we don't know about will be very pleasant surprises! However, I do have a couple of questions if anyone has the answers? And yes, I did do a search, but didn't find the answers ...

We are on a 7 day port-intensive cruise from Athens to Venice along the Dalmation coast. I know there will be some musical entertainment in the evenings (if not in the league of the big shows on big ships - which we don't go to, usually!) but are there likely to be any lectures or other offerings which nowadays seem to go under the banner (cringe slightly) of 'Edutainment'? I was thinking about talks, wine-tastings (presumably with an extra fee), cookery demonstrations or the like?

I've read of, and very much like the sound of, Shopping with the Chef. Does anyone know if this is likely to take place in any of our scheduled ports? (Santorini / Katakolon / Corfu / Kotor / Dubrovnik)

Our last 'port' is at Triluke Bay for a 'Marina Day'. For those of us who aren't particularly keen on water sports is there anything else scheduled, either on board or in the bay? Not sure if we can actually go ashore, but would be happy to stay on board, but don't intend to spend the whole day packing up!

Oh, I've thought of another! Can you use the facilities of the Spa (eg sauna, the walking pool thingy etc) without booking a treatment?

Oooh, I'm so looking forward to this, but am also enjoying tormenting myself in anticipation of the delights to come, as we sit here in unseasonably cold and wet England ...

Greetings from an equally miserable London! Lets hope Med weather somewhat better for your forthcoming trip.

I have not yet had the pleasure of being on the Quest, but did a very similar Med trip last year on the Spirit (Rome-Venice visting some of the ports you mention) so may be able to answer some of your queries.

We did have some enrichment talks - I went to a cookery demonstration by the chef & I did the shopping with the chef in Corfu. Would imagine Corfu would be the stop on your trip as to be honest there didn't appear to be much spontaniety about the stalls we visited in the market & in these days of health & safety the company would have to be sure they were purchasing from a fully compliant supplier - if you take it for what it is, a bit of fun - you'll enjoy it - just sign up on board when it is announced in the daily programme. Any talks etc are fully laid out for you in the programme so just check daily - these trips are port intensive so you won't find the type of enrichment you get on Cunard as the numbers staying on board such a small ship won't make it worth their while.

We just docked in the bay on the Marina Day & couldn't get off if I remember rightly - perhaps book a spa treat on that day as I believe from other threads that the spa is only 'open' to those having treatments (didn't have the additional spa facilities on the Spirit) so if you are not marina people I'd use this as an excuse for a pamper & then you'll get to use all the facilities including sauna etc.

We are booked on the reverse trip (Venice-Athens) in September on the Odyssey with friends we made last year on board - really looking forward to that too - you'll have a wonderful time - enjoy!

Thanks for that information, it's always good to hear from someone who 'has the t-shirt'!

We won't get our tickets / cabin allocation / flight details until about two weeks before, so some details are a bit sketchy, but it has to be better than here at the moment (MIL had surgery this morning, we're pleased that's over and done with before we go; DS needs minor op on manky toe; awaiting A-level results - you get the picture) although I was very brave this afternoon and went out in a sunny interval without a coat (although I did have two in the car) - how daring was that in the middle of August?!?!

Thanks for that information, it's always good to hear from someone who 'has the t-shirt'!

We won't get our tickets / cabin allocation / flight details until about two weeks before, so some details are a bit sketchy, but it has to be better than here at the moment (MIL had surgery this morning, we're pleased that's over and done with before we go; DS needs minor op on manky toe; awaiting A-level results - you get the picture) although I was very brave this afternoon and went out in a sunny interval without a coat (although I did have two in the car) - how daring was that in the middle of August?!?!

Gosh! You will really need the break when the time comes round! Just imagine sipping that 1st glass of champagne at the Sky Bar when you board & look forward to a wonderful supper - then relax, enjoy & let us know your impressions as a first timer.

We are doing the same cruise next week on Quest. Just to answer one question for you. There is a sauna that you can use, one for ladies and the other for men, this can be used without the need to book a spa treatment. It is in the changing rooms. The ones you pay for are up one deck and have a sauna and steam room plus the "water Walk" if you just want a sauna then use the FOC one. It is not large but has a very nice relaxation area and showers etc.

Hope you enjoy your cruise I am sure you will, we sailed on Sojourn earlier this year on the World Cruise and it was great.

Thanks for the information.

Interesting to note that this is, so far, a Brits only thread! I wonder why?

I am SO looking forward to this holiday, and am spending FAR too much time planning and plotting for it ... :cool:

Just about ANYTHING would be better than our current weather. It is supposedly high summer and last week I had trouble making myself get out of bed for work, and then realised that it was because every time my shoulder peeped from under the duvet I felt frozen!

I do suspect there may be one or two of our transatlantic friends on the trip, and I knew many would know more than I about our forthcoming trip.

Did I mention I was getting excited? :D

Archived