Theme nights on Mariner cruises

Chuck & Phyllis

For the Pirate's Ball, I bought scarves and blinking pirate pins from orientaltrading.com. We were a party of 7 and it was held outside. The blinking pins helped us find each other in the crowd and seemed to be a big hit, with everyone wanting to buy one. It was a lot cheaper than buying things onboard, but really, it was casual wear and no one really did it up big. A few people had casual shirts with parrots perched on them and that was cute.

Jane in PHL

Chuck and Phyllis,

We have not been on a Mariner's Caribbean Cruise but have been on two Caribbean cruises on the QM2. On our last cruise which was a 7 day we had the Commodore's Black and White Ball and the Pirate's Ball. The Commodore's Ball was the same night as the Commodore's Cocktail Party, which was the second day of our cruise. The word "ascot" was not used and the hat making was not offered. My husband and I wore black and white but many guests attended in other colors.

The Pirates Ball was the day we visited St. Kitts. The Dress for that evening was Informal but the Pirates Ball dress code is casual. It was held outside on Deck 8 from 9:45 pm to 11:30 pm. Costumes were optional. If you have late seating and want to participate in this ball, it might be a good night to eat earlier at Todd English or at one of the other King's Court Restaurants. However, even with late seating you should be finished with dinner around 10 PM. If you want to speed up your dinner in Britannia, you can request to order your dessert at the same time you order your dinner.

Yes, the Black and White Ball was formal. Many men wore black tie tux and many women wore black or white gowns. However, there were women in other colors as well as men in dark suits. We did not attend anything where masks were worn. However, I seem to remember an announcement about an opportunity to make masks one day. Sorry I cannot help you more than that. Perhaps someone else will be able to answer your question.

We didn't go to any of the balls. If you have 2nd seating and you go to the show there is only about 30 minutes left of the ball. They start at 10:00 and go to about midnight. They had a Black and White and a Pirates but we don't know what went on with either one.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I attended the Pirate Ball in December on a 10 day Carribean cruise on the qm2. We actually won first prize for the best costumes. This party was held inside in the Queen's Room and there were quite a few people in full costume. There were numerous people in makeshift outfits but if you are interested in participating in the competition you will need a real costume. In our case we won a bottle of champagne and a diamond bracelet; not expensive but still a nice memento.

Archived