Straw Market In Nassua

tambo913

Definitely walk, it's very close, and you can see it as your ship enters the harbour... As you leave the pier/terminal building go to the right along the little street by the water. It's a few blocks down on your left in a large white tent next door to Senor Frogs (this is the temporary Straw Market as the original burned down a few years ago and hasn't been rebuilt yet).

We didn't buy anything there, was nothing but "junk" to us. Some straw bags and stuff, but a lot of cheap flea market type "junk", plus fake designer handbags, watches, etc. If you do see something you want they do bargain, don't pay what they're asking.

Definitely walk there! It isn't far at all. One tip though: If you're bringing a stroller, you will barely be able to squeeze thru the aisles. We took our daughter in an umbrella stroller and literally only walked thru a few aisles, it was that cramped.

As for bargains, honestly, we've found a lot of the same stuff in Hawaii for cheaper! That was a real shocker to me :confused: We did buy one thing though, and that was a cute little purse for our daughter. We even watched the lady sew her name onto it :)

Still, it was fun walking over there and back to the ship. I loved listening to the accents of the vendors as they talked amongst themselves.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping it would have had alot of hand made craft items. We might take a look since its close, but I definitely am not has excited about it as I was before. Glad I found out now in case something better comes along with my time.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping it would have had alot of hand made craft items. We might take a look since its close, but I definitely am not has excited about it as I was before. Glad I found out now in case something better comes along with my time.

Awww, Don't let your excitement come down a couple levels. :(

I liked the straw market- A LOT! And we sure didnt think everything was junk.

Four of us shopped there(2 adults and two teenagers). Bought the typical souvenior t-shirts, my 15 yrd old bought a gorgeous 'bahamian' dress (they even showed her how to wear it different ways for different looks) The other 15 yr old bought a cute little straw purse, and the lady sewed her name on it while we waited. We also bought two DESIGNER purses. I can guarantee you- they were not knock off or fakes. In fact 4 of her friends at school have already given her money to buy them purses while we are there. We bargained for everything! Never pay what they are asking- Half the fun is going back and forth and then coming to an acceptable price.

I agree with the other poster in that it IS VERY CRAMPED! And once you go up and down about half the aisles you will see alot of the same things over and over,,,But if you look hard enough you will find alot of different items as well.

Oh, and I bought these hand made beautiful dolls. I just fell in love with them. I ended up buying three 'mini' dolls and they now sit on top of my dvd player in the living room.

I really do hope that you go to the straw market and enjoy yourself. You really shouldnt miss it. Have fun and enjoy! :) :D :)

May I ask how much you paid for the straw handbag with the named weaved? I'll be traveling to Nassau with my husband and two daughters (ages 14 and 8) and I know they would LOVE to have something like that! I'd like to surprise them and not tell them now but I also would like to know how much it would cost before I even mention it.

Thanks!

Thanks Laura for the boost. We are planning on at least walking over since it is so close. Not much time in port, I cant see spending 150-180.00 on day passes for the Atlantis for the time we are there. WE will use that money shopping!!!!!!

I am excited too about the purses you mentioned. I have some nieces I would love to get their name on them. What a GREAT GREAT idea.

I'm glad you're looking forward to it again. :) We'll be back there in a few days (2nd cruise) and plan on definitely going back to the Straw Market.

The straw purse (handbag) with the name weaved that we bought was only $5.50!

The woman said $7.00. I said $5.00. She said $6.00. I said $5.50 and she asked what name to put on it. :D

I did the same thing with the 'mini dolls' that I bought. In fact, at first the woman said no to my price (she wanted $7.00 per doll and I said no way) She wouldn't budge on the price so I walked away. When I was coming up the next aisle she was at her 'sister's booth' holding the three dolls and asked me how much I was willing to pay. I said $12.00 TOTAL for the three dolls (I actually would have went up to $14.00 or so) but she said ok to the $12.00 and that's how I got the dolls that I simply love!!!

I'm sure it also depends on how many sales a certain booth has had for the day- Some are more than willing to bargain a price- Others wouldnt budge more than a few cents.

Have fun!!!!!!!

Archived