One Rule vs. Another Rule

CroozBlooz

A little while ago we had some nice discussions about insurance and everyone's views about cancellation recourse without insurance.

I was on the NCL board and there was a thread about smuggling alcohol aboard. Frankly, since I don't drink alcohol, I've never even thought about what the policy is on bringing aboard your own alcohol. In any event, most of the posts in that thread touted all sorts of creative ways of getting around the rules and bringing alcohol aboard the ship.

It occurred to me that if there is such a rule, it's there to protect the revenue that the cruise line expects to generate through selling alcohol. Then I started thinking about how folks around here would react to violation of that rule.

An overwhelming majority here believe Princess needs to enforce its rules regarding cancellations and not help out those who cancel that don't buy their insurance. Ok, but how do you feel about the other rules? Wouldn't sneaking alcohol onboard when it violates the rules be similar in nature? After all, it would lead everyone else who doesn't break the rules to pay more for their drinks onboard.

So the question is this: For those of you that purchase insurance and don't want those who don't purchase to get any relief if they cancel, do you think it's ok for you to break other rules (alcohol policies, etc.) that will save you some money?

There is no reason to sneak alcohol on Princess since you can purchase a bottle frrom room service for about the same price or less then you'll pay for it at home. So unless your favorite liqour is something they don't stock then there is no reason to smuggle. :)

Scott

Of course there are different degrees of "rules".

I am not endorsing breaking the rules, but the truth of the matter is that there are different degrees. Just as there are different degrees of breaking "laws".

For example, bringing a charcoal grill and cooking on your balcony should definitely be enforced more so than the rule of not wearing jeans to the dining room. :D

Gee Dreamer?

How the heck am I going to cook the fish I caught trolling off my balcony with out a grill? I always wear a Tux when I fish off the stern.

If Princess would just outlaw taking wine onboard, I could smuggle a nice cool white to go with my illegally caught fish!

Life is to short to drink box wine!

Dave

Gee Dreamer?

How the heck am I going to cook the fish I caught trolling off my balcony with out a grill? I always wear a Tux when I fish off the stern.

If Princess would just outlaw taking wine onboard, I could smuggle a nice cool white to go with my illegally caught fish!

Life is to short to drink box wine!

Dave

LOL!!!!

Dreamer,

I agree with you that there are different degrees of rules, just as there are different degrees of laws. Big difference between speeding, for example, and murder.

But when you get down to rules, it then becomes much more a case of each person's interpretation of those rules that are "important" and that is determined primarily on how the enforcement of the rule affects them.

As I understand it, wines may be taken aboard Princess ships, and I do. Consider, wine costs $7.50 +15% per glass. Now as a Canadian I would not serve the wines sold on cruise ships to my friends, [i come from a wine area], and, at the price of that glass of wine I can buy a very reasonable bottle in Canada. Call me cheap if you wish, but at least my wife and I can enjoy a nice wine, which unfortunately I have yet to find on any cruise ship, at any price. I rest my case.

john

So the question is this: For those of you that purchase insurance and don't want those who don't purchase to get any relief if they cancel, do you think it's ok for you to break other rules (alcohol policies, etc.) that will save you some money?

Yes I think it is fine for ME to break any rule that I chose to break. I think it is WRONG for everyone else to break any rules ever unless somehow I benefit by the rule being broken.

Oenophiles the world over are waiting for you to reveal this less than $10 treasure that is unsurpassed at any price...darn, it'll probably be a white. Do tell, Mr. Green!

There are several whites at Grey Monk, $11.95 Canadian, also a couple of reds, some wines are just sold 'off premise', and there are few wines from there that I would not drink. We have four wine festivals each year, and my celler knows it. As I write I can see a winery, and, in four years I will be another. Cheers! ;) john

I know Grey Monk! We used to order cases through the Opimian Wine Society. I agree, they have some varieties that are an excellent value. I fully understand your previous comment. Too bad that I now live in a state that does not permit one to participate in things like Opimian.

If you want to score some points next time - offer a bottle to the Maitre d' or your Head Waiter. They appreciate trying new things, too.

This is my take about the -there are different degrees of "rules".

1 The first rules are for safety.

2 The second kind are for the company to make money.

3 The third are for the enjoyment of all passengers.

So when you choose a rule to disregard make sure it is lower down on the list...

Archived