Travel Medical Insurance for World Cruise

Paul123

Have any UK residends taken out travel/medical insurance to cover say 100 plus days on the likes of a world cruise?

I'm struggling to find a company that I can get a compeditive quote from with some pre existing issues and ages of about 70 years.

Have any UK residends taken out travel/medical insurance to cover say 100 plus days on the likes of a world cruise?

I'm struggling to find a company that I can get a compeditive quote from with some pre existing issues and ages of about 70 years.

I think that you are certainly facing an uphill struggle, I suggest that you look at Cunard Care which is offered by the Company themselves.

My parents were both in their 80s when we went on a WC. SAGA, RIAS and Top Dog are all companies that we've used recently for insurance. Each one has been cheaper on one occasion and not on another so it's a case of trying them all and seeing what happens. We've used these three for shorter trips recently. I'm afraid I can't remember who we used for the WC but a lot will depend on how long you are away for - we went for four months and that made insurance difficult!

Remember if you're traveling as well (assuming you're not the 70+ traveller with medical conditions) you will need to be on the same insurance policy or you won't be covered if you need to cancel because of the 70+ traveller.

Thank you both for your comments.

I have now had a quote from Diamond Insurance (UK Company) and they are very reasonable. They will cover me for my pre-existing conditions world wide except...wait for it.....USA, Spain, Malta, Singapore, China and Hong Kong. Interesting! As a result I am now looking at the Rotterdam's 88 day voyage out of Southampton in Jan 2013 as it does not hit any of these countries other than a day in Spain and Malta and I am covered through the Europe medical exchange thing if ill on these two days.

The other problem of cancellation insurance is still a problem as the standard coverage is just £5,000 well below the cruise price but enough to cover the deposits. We'll probably just take a risk with the cancellation thing. I was quoted seval thousand pounds for full cancellation coverage.

For pre-existing coverage I have contacted Freedom insurance Services Ltd

01223 454 290 who sought out the best coverage for my pre-existing problems. They then arranged for a quote for me from goodtogoinsurance.com. Again very compeditive and well worth looking at.

I hope this helps any Brits that are seeking long voyage medical insurance. I assume that it covers evacuation from a ship if ill as it states up to £10 million for medical and evacuation.

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

I have been trying to find ins. for a 19day cruise plus 6 or 7 weeks in Canada 69 days approx #1 age 72 with pre-exhisting, and am finding it quite difficult and expensive about £1200+ so your post is very relevent to me I will give your research a go.

I found a site that you can do long term months, just done 4 months for Portugal, and have tried it for the cruise etc you can add all the countries you are going to. Staysure.

Archived