June or Christmas for Parents 50th anniversary cruise

Cruise Arizona

My parents cruise Carnival all the time, but I have never cruised on

Carnival, so I am deferring to the experts for an opinion.

They want to take a cruise for their 50th anniversary and have as many extended family and friends as can make it join them on the cruise. The idea is that they will pick a cruise and then anyone that wants to come along can pay their own way and come along.

This would not be until 2014, so it is a long way away, but we've been talking about it so we can save up for the cruise.

I've done a little research and found that (for planning purposes) Magic currently sails out of Gavleston in both June and Christmas. When I did a pretend booking to check the price online, I found only about a $300 difference for a family of 4 for the Dec cruise.

Mom and Dad's anniversary is at then end of June, and I would think that this might be a much better time to cruise because the ship won't be too crowded with the Christmas groups, and I think that the pricing would actually be lower than the $300 difference if we book when there is a better deal on 3rd and 4th persons.

My parents are leaning towards the Dec date, as they want as many family members as possible to be able to attend, and they think that the Christmas cruise would correspond to all the High School and College breaks for grand kids. They also want her brother and his wife to come along for the celebration as their 50th is in Jan of 2015. My concern is that the ship will be a little more crowded than a normal cruise and that we would not enjoy the vacation as much as if we went in June. But then again June is early hurricane season.

Also, my husband is going to be extra hard to convince to go on the Dec trip. He doesn't think he would like Carnival, but I did get his buy in for a June cruise because it is for my parents 50th, but I'm afraid that getting to go on a crowded Christmas cruise may be the deal breaker.

Any advice regarding the dates, husband, when to actually book is appreciated.

Having sailed in June and at Christmas one is no more crowded than the other. Schools in Texas and Oklahoma get out the last week of May. We do enjoy the Christmas Cruises as everyone is in a good mood and families tend to stay together more and not go their own ways. Or at least it seemed that way to me. :) And yes Santa does make his visits to the ship just in case anyone in your group is worried about it! ;) Plus the kids in the Camp Carnival programs put on a special Christmas show with the singers and dancers in the main show lounge.

It is better weather in December, that is the winter month for them and it is really nice when you go off ship. June would be really hot, but ok, if you like hot weather.

Also prices, if this is a concern for some, is better around December, unless you pick the holiday cruise, then of course it is a lot higher

I would think June would have a lot more children on board, for better or worse. Summers are family time and a lot of us avoid summer on Carnival for that reason, though there are going to be familys at Christmas too, just not as out of hand imo.

Congratulatiions to your parents for making it 50yrs! I have not been on a cruise in June or Dec however after dealing with a hurricane last year at the end of August I would probably steer more towards the christmas cruise. Im not sure if it would make a difference in crowds as both of my cruises one in Aug and on in October were totally filled so that might not matter. I have one other thought thought we had asked family members to go on a cruise with us dec 11th and everyone said its to close to christmas so I would probably try to get a general idea of what some of the other family and friends think. Have Fun! :cool:

The cruise will have to be a Christmas cruise, and with all of their grand kids in High School or College by then, they would not be able to all attend any cruise that was either during summer or that two week time period of the Christmas holidays.

Now, I just have to start working on my husband. Any suggestions for convincing him to try Canival and take a Christmas cruise???

We are taking the week before Christmas this year on the Conquest out of NOLA. The weather is what convinced my husband. He does NOT like the heat and it should be very nice at that time. Also, we will be back on Christmas Eve, which allows us to make it home for Christmas Day.

We have one in college and two in high school, this was the most economical way to get all five of us on a ship! And take into account school and work schedules.

Good luck with the planning! I wanted to do this for his parents for their 50th, but they didn't want to do it. Oh well! :)

Archived