Alaska cruise cellphone

zabs

How available is cell phone service on Alaskan cruises? I assume that while in ports there would be little problem picking up a signal but, while cruising, can you access service? I HATE the thought of 'interrupting/intruding on' our vacation but circumstances at home necessitate this. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

You will get service from a number of areas as you cruise the inland passage or approach a city to dock. When too far from land, the ship will turn on their cell service. But it's pretty expensive. As I recall. Verizon and ATT is about $2.49 a minute. T-Mobile costs even more.

We have been to Alaska twice, once having AT&T and once having Sprint for our wireless provider.

We were able to call from most large cities though I think AT&T has (or had) better coverage at the time.

ISP would be the only place that I do not know about, but I believe that Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Skagway and Anchorage all had fine coverage.

One thing to watch out for in making calls in Canada, I believe that some stiff international roaming charges could be incurred, though I do not have any first hand knowledge of the particulars, I'm sure someone else will add to this.

Good luck,

i have brought a back up pay as you go phone and leaving my i phone on airplane mode so not to get roaming charges only taking it cos its got all my music on it but definitely don't want a huge phone bill when i get home i say that every time and it never quite goes to plan lol

debs

Archived