The best place to be during Irene...the Summit!

ljk76

"What Hurricane? This is a long, day by day entry that will likely only interest you if you really like details, or wondered what happens when a ship is at sea and a significant hurricane develops! When we left Irene wasn't even named, or numbered, as a tropical depression! Things developed rather quickly, and plans changed rapidly during the week. We were entirely impressed by Celebrity in so many ways. Captain Panos kept everyone informed as things were changing, Damien, the cruise director, seamlessly added entertainment options that our extra day required, and the dining room did the same! Strangely, our weather was nearly perfect, because the captain kept us a far and safe distance from the storm. The staff of the Summit is incredible under any conditions!

Monday, August 22,2011

Yesterday we drove to NJ and were on the ship at 11:15! We relaxed by the T pool, had lunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe, and our room was available around 1. Our only concern had been our assigned late seating. We met with the Maitre De in the afternoon but he wasn't promising Select dining, so we made a third Normandie reservation. However in the evening we were able to be assigned Select, so we were so pleased and enjoyed prime rib at a table for two, with excellent food and wine service. It was efficient, but not rushed.

It is a very full cruise, with many children, I would guess at least 500, and some are not well supervised. We have decided to strategize meals with minimal exposure to the zoo-like buffet! Just enjoyed a great room service breakfast...fresh oj,scrambled eggs with asparagus, lox with all the trimmings. No need to fight the mobs. We signed up for the premium alcohol package this morning at Cova Cafe, and brought back some cappuccino to enjoy with breakfast. Later it's a Cruise Critic meet up in the Conservatory, and perhaps a salad in the MDR for lunch, with a crisp white wine. It's a tough life! I may have my first moments of stress when it's time to find a lounge chair for the afternoon.

We met up with a familiar server, Elena, in Michaels club last night. She's finishing up an eight month stretch, and is just as charming as ever. We miss Charlie Butler in the aft bar, and Tammy in Michaels but "Piano Paul" has a nice play list. We will miss Micheals ...add the beer, by all means!,but don't take away the piano for a T.V. We can watch TV at home.

This evening we ate at the Normandie. Great food, love the lobster bisque presentIon, but some serious service issues. First it took a long time to be acknowledged when we walked in. We had to ask to order wine, it never came, we asked again, sorry they were out of that.Was anyone going to tell us? When it was time for a second glass we literally had to flag down a waiter. Just not what we had expected given our previous visits. Did discreetly point out the wine issue to the maitre de who assured us it won't happen again...good thing since we are going back Tuesday.

It was formal night and I'm sad to say they were letting any style of dress into the MDR, as we were in the Martini bar we saw lots of untucked shirts, baseball caps, t shirts...although lots of folks looked lovely, about 10% did not. Confess, we changed about 11 pm, and they did send the "country club casuals" like we had become, to the upper level of the theater. That did produce the effect of a rather empty looking second show because the majority were in the balcony. I actually like that they took a stand there, wish they'd done a better job in the MDR.

Tuesday, August 23

Perfect weather, unlike yesterday's rainy afternoon. We enjoyed another room service breakfast, I enjoyed some quality sun time on the deck above the pool, and Doug went to a navigation session given by Captain Panos. Naturally a few guests had questions about hurricane Irene, currently in the Dominican. He reported we'd be fine on our three days in Bermuda...worst case we'd delay our entry to NJ by a day, though highly unlikely. An extra sea day, well a girl can dream.

A peaceful lunch in the MDR, we actually were seated with the same couple as yesterday. She's also a teacher, and they've cruised to Bermuda five times, so had lots of great tips.

A relaxing return to the upper pool deck. Love those premium alcohol packages. It's so funny, all the staff call them the premium alcoholic package. We may be premium alcoholics by the end of the cruise?

A word about our cabin, CC3 # 9189. We booked this less than two weeks out,so we weren't too upset about the choice. We haven't experienced noise from above at all. It is a connecting cabin, which I hadn't realized, but we have very quiet neighbors...there. However we are near to the aft and it seems a number of rooms beyond us are all associated with the big FOV, and they, and their children all think the corridor is part of their suite. Annoying, but we haven't let it bother us much. I haven't minded the overhang, on the rainy afternoon it was a plus, and the aft stairs provide quick access to deck 11,where it has been easy to snag deck chairs today on a busy sea day. Too bad next time we are on the Summit that area will all be aqua class rooms. We won't mind, we have an aft balcony for that trip.

So many areas of the ship are pristine. I find few of the public areas showing much wear and tear. I think the deck furniture, those loungers without the blue pads really look quite sad, and I've read the deck furniture is not being replaced. I think that should have been made a higher priority, so many guests spend so much time by the pool decks, or on their balconies. The blue pads seem long gone from the CC rooms, and there are no footstools, simply "$19.99" style strapped chairs. Solstice deck furniture is much classier, and more versatile.

We had an amazing and perfect dinner tonight in the Normandie. Every detail was spot on and the filet was fantastic. It was perfect example of why you should speak up on the rare Celebrity occasions when they are not perfect! Tonight the wine glasses were never empty, we were met immediately, and the food was of course warm,as it was prepared table side. Later, there was a great comedian, followed later with "Dancing with the Stripes."

Wednesday, August 24th

We docked at King's Wharf this morning, enjoyed another leisurely room service breakfast, bought transportation passes, and were on the 10 o'clock ferry to St. George. We had a free walking tour about the history of Bermuda, then walked up and over to Tobacco beach. It was very crowded, not a large expanse, and at first the water seemed a bit cloudy. As we snorkeled to the rock formations to the right we saw a large variety of fish, huge schools of tiny silver and blue fish that filled your view, and some nice coral formations. So it was worth the hot trek. Later we returned to the city and visited the perfumerie. Then we caught a bus to Hamilton, and transferred to the ferry to the dockyard. It was great to have a cold beer, a shower, and have AC again. We had an early dinner and then we wandered around the Dockyard. We were glad we had a full day...when we returned there was a letter from the captain announcing to guests that we would we leaving Bermuda a full day early, due to Hurricane Irene. Obviously this is quite a disappointment, and it seems like we will be sailing right into the storm. Really glad I bought the Bonine, may start taking it tomorrow just to be safe.

We cancelled a snorkeling reservation we'd booked that had sounded great. Tomorrow we hope to get to Elbow Beach, Horseshoe Bay, and snorkel at Church Bay. If there is any juice left we'll stop at Seaglass beach. We leave at five. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out after that.

We had a great early dinner in the MDR, skipped lunch, so we went and ate early at Select. So happy we ended up getting that! We got a nice two top by a window. Once again, the wine glasses were never empty. We caught the evening's production show, where the Titanic numbers seemed particularly inappropriate!

Thursday, August 25

We had breakfast croissants at Cova, and organized ourselves for a beach day.

We caught bus 7, saw rough surf at Church Bay, continued on to Elbow Beach, spent about 3 hours enjoying several swims with some pretty good waves, and we were done in by then! Waited quite a while for a bus, it was full, the next one dropped us off at Horseshoe to transfer, but we got right on, and got seats, it was air-conditioned, and express to the Dockyard. We grabbed a late lunch at the buffet (I really like the sandwich bar) and ate at the aft bar area. Around 3 or 4 pm the captain announced we would be arriving in Bayonne on Saturday at 5 pm, encouraging passengers to disembark from 6-8 pm,although passengers could remain until early Sunday Morning. We enjoyed Magnitude, the party band, and enjoyed some mohitos, making lemonade out of lemons...we thought!

We went back to our cabin to relax and clean up when around five when the captain came on with his third announcement...we were NOT leaving the Dockyard in the next hour, at six, but would leave the next day at five, which was the original plan. However we would be getting in a day late, arriving AFTER the storm had passed NY. So now we have our day in Bermuda, plus an extra day at sea, but who knows what those sea days will be like!

Later we learned that the Norwegian Gem and Holland American both did leave, as was their plan. We also realized NY had declared a state of emergency right around 5, and we surmise that also impacted the Celebrity last minute change. We are all in favor of staying well south of the storm. We really were worried we wouldn't really be able to beat the storm, and would have to drive home in some pretty horrible weather. And I thought of our car, at sea level, parked in Bayonne.

But the mood last night was generally much more upbeat! We enjoyed another night in the MDR, met some very nice couples in our line up of two tops, we walked around the dockyard looking for new ideas for our now returned third day in Bermuda, and then we listened to Martin Andolae at Cova. Now he is a very talented vocalist and guitarist!

What a difference a day makes!

Friday, August 26, 2011

We had the perfect "bonus day!" and it felt that way because it had come within a hour of being taken away. We had our first buffet breakfast (had to have the waffles at least once!) couldn't find any excursion options on board, so we set off into the Dockyard to look for options there. On our way off the gangplank we ran into the couple we had lunched with twice. We knew she had swam with the dolphins the previous day. They had a rave review, so we began to think of that. The only snorkel trip looked uninspired, so we decided to check out the dolphins. Rocky start...we walked in, couldn't find anyone to give us info, but then a couple came in with a brochure that advertised a $99 special for the weekend. We paid our way into the Maritime Museum, where Dolphin Quest is located, and made our way to that center. By 10:15 we were swimming with Marley and Ely! What a thrill, it was quiet and relaxed, we were only in a group of four, ourselves and two adorable girls. The trainer was great, the dolphins amazing,and we loved the price! (less than half of the advertised brochure rate.) We think it is because all the ship reservations had been cancelled, and it was a rate marketed to the hotels. We were able to do something truly unique that wasn't even on our radar screen.

We returned to the ship to clean up, have an iced coffee and a snack at Cova, then back out to explore that Maritime Museum, and the Craft bazaar. That part of the day pretty much was our original plan. The museum was really quite interesting, and the views and breezes from the top of the ramparts and the Commissioner's House were great. Wonderful photo ops! We bought some notecards and an interesting map at the craft bazaar, very reasonably priced.

Tonight it's our third night in the Normandie, and the second formal night. We will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of our first date...and three days of perfect weather and great times in Bermuda.

The captain just spoke and said the other two ships are not being allowed into New York harbor, so they are just "hanging around," making his a great decision to stay. No argument here! Just hope our car hasn't floated away when we arrive in Bayonne Monday. And of course we are a bit worried about our house in Massachusetts. Our very personable cruise director, Damien, announced that the helicopter pad would be opened up for sail away, and that was a great distraction. As you might imagine, Irene is a unifying conversation for all.

Our last of three dinners at the Normandie was great. I had the Dover sole and it was spectacular. We had our drink in the Martini Bar after dinner, and I discovered yet another wonderful one, the Almond Joy, although strictly as an after dinner drink!

We enjoyed listening to Martin at Cova, went to Michaels for our final nightcap, saw the show "Stars in Their Eyes" and finished up at Revelations listening to a few songs from the party band. Not our typical night at home, and part of what makes a cruise so much fun! Back in the cabin CNN brought us back to reality. Irene isn't going away.

Saturday, August 27

It looks as though it will likely be a great day at sea. The fact that it will be followed with an extra seems like it will be a bonus, but time will tell. I really have to believe we will encounter rough weather when we approach NJ, even if we are coming in behind Irene. But for now the sun is out this morning, there is only a normal amount of motion, and worrying about tomorrow really won't help.

A morning bridge tour has been canceled, no surprise there! There have been more swells as the day has progressed, but it doesn't seem to be impacting anyones enjoyment of a warm sunny day at sea. My preparedness plan...a can of gingerale stashed in our fridge, while I am still on a beverage plan! Captain Panos has been having frequent update announcements, describing conditions and plans. He most recently said we will begin disembarkation a bit later Monday, perhaps beginning at 10 or 10:30. Luckily they hadn't passed out disembarkation packets yet. Personally, I wouldn't rush to do so as I am guessing things could still change a great deal.

Sunday, August 28

We are still nearly 400 miles from Bayonne in the morning, there are some serious swells but most people seem like me, very much still able to enjoy the cruise and it's bonus day! At 8 a.m., when we would have been leaving the ship hurricane Irene was right over NY harbor. There were some dramatic pictures on the news of flooding in Battery Park, but in just a few hours we heard that Bayonne had little damage, and that the cars there were fine. Lots of relieved passengers! The captain has been wonderful about keeping us informed as things changed often over the last three days. We are so happy that we kept our full schedule in Bermuda and didn't have a string of three sea days to worry! Things look like they are rapidly clearing in NY, and we've decided to do the "walk off" disembarkation to save time. This will be the first group to leave, at about 10:30 they project, versus the 12:30 time we had been assigned. I truly feel sorry for the next group of cruisers who won't be getting on the ship for quite a while tomorrow, after already losing a day. I do know they'll have six great days with the crew on this ship.

Monday, August 29

Eggs Benedict for our last meal aboard, and then we were in line (a very long line!) for "walk off"disembarkation. It took perhaps 30-45 minutes from our cabin to our car, so relatively painless, and it seemed like the whole ship was getting off this way. Irene had one more curve ball for us, no power in Connecticut meant we were on fumes by the time we found a functioning gas station. We feel for all the people who have no power.

Great Review. I was on this cruise. I agree with everything that you have said but I have a few more observations. I thought that the ship looked very worn and outdated. I was in a royal suite and it was very worn and it had a locker room odor. I felt the only staff that went out of their way to help were the ones that I tipped. During the first half of the trip not one pool waiter asked us if we wanted a drink nor did any pool butlers offer us an iced towel. I felt that the rest of the staff was a little slow on their feet.

I wholeheartedly agree that performing a Titanic skit on a cruise ship heading into a hurricane was beyond stupid. There was an audible gasp in the audience at the 9pm show. I really feel that someone should be fired for that. Can you imagine airlines playing 911 videos onboard?

I used to feel that Celebrity was my favorite cruise line. I feel that they have lessened their standards and that the quality of service has suffered. I found that there were a lot of unruly children on board and a lot of rude adults. Many people acted like they were never going to eat again when they were in the buffet lines. I had people reach over me to get coffee the instant I was finished not even waiting for me to put my cup in the saucer and move on. I can not get over how rude some people can be.

All in all I enjoyed the cruise. The food was excellent (I loved the cookies). The martinis were great. Bermuda was beautiful. I loved the excursions that I did. They were the dolphin experience, snorkel park, crystal caves, swizzle inn, St. Georges, and the best beaches excursion.

Great Review. I was on this cruise. I agree with everything that you have said but I have a few more observations. I thought that the ship looked very worn and outdated. I was in a royal suite and it was very worn and it had a locker room odor. I felt the only staff that went out of their way to help were the ones that I tipped. During the first half of the trip not one pool waiter asked us if we wanted a drink nor did any pool butlers offer us an iced towel. I felt that the rest of the staff was a little slow on their feet.

I wholeheartedly agree that performing a Titanic skit on a cruise ship heading into a hurricane was beyond stupid. There was an audible gasp in the audience at the 9pm show. I really feel that someone should be fired for that. Can you imagine airlines playing 911 videos onboard?

I used to feel that Celebrity was my favorite cruise line. I feel that they have

lessened their standards and that the quality of service has suffered. I found that there were a lot of unruly children on board and a lot of rude adults. Many people acted like they were never going to eat again when they were in the buffet lines. I had people reach over me to get coffee the instant I was finished not even waiting for me to put my cup in the saucer and move on. I

can not get over how rude some people can be.

All in all I enjoyed the cruise. The food was excellent (I loved the cookies). The martinis were great. Bermuda was beautiful. I loved the excursions that I did. They were the dolphin experience, snorkel park, crystal caves, swizzle inn, St.

Georges, and the best beaches excursion.

I agree that some areas of service were not up to par, particularly bar service in the pool area. Yet we had great service at the Martini Bar, Micheals,Cova. I have never been on a more fully booked cruise and I think that was part of the problem, not enough staff in some areas to service the additional 550 children as well as what seemed like many extended family parties, traveling 3-4 to a stateroom. I would guess that the total head count was much higher than had it been two to a cabin as is much more reflective of our Celebrity cruises. I'm not sure there was an increase in staff to service those numbers. I know they had 18 kids club staff members, a record number, Damien said at times they just have three. But as we both noted, there were lots not displaying the best of manners, both children and their parents.

I've read that the suites are getting a top to bottom, all furniture, all decor, replacement in January. We were just in a CC3 room, and it was fine, though the decor update will be appreciated.

We are returning to the Summit in February and are looking forward to her new look, a much less crowded cruise, and a better staff ratio. With that said, we still had a great time on this cruise, enjoyed the food, the entertainment, and most of the service.

I'm glad you ended up having such a good time! You sound like an upbeat person so you'd probably have fun no matter what was going on. :cool:

Just curious, was your car OK? I saw online that ships were still leaving from Bayonne on Saturday and Sunday but you weren't allowed to leave your car at the parking lot. Which I totally get, but wow, too bad for people who were planning to drive!

I used to feel that Celebrity was my favorite cruise line. I feel that they have lessened their standards and that the quality of service has suffered. I found that there were a lot of unruly children on board and a lot of rude adults. Many people acted like they were never going to eat again when they were in the buffet lines. I had people reach over me to get coffee the instant I was finished not even waiting for me to put my cup in the saucer and move on. I can not get over how rude some people can be.

All in all I enjoyed the cruise. The food was excellent (I loved the cookies). The martinis were great. Bermuda was beautiful. I loved the excursions that I did. They were the dolphin experience, snorkel park, crystal caves, swizzle inn, St. Georges, and the best beaches excursion.

We were in a Royal Suite in June and did not find it worn. We did find the bar and pool staff very lacking and also agree that performing "Titanic" was beyond ridiculous. lol We all looked at each other like "are they for real?!"

OP: great review! Glad you arrived home safe! DD loved the Dolphins, too!

Archived