Hampton Inn City Center

wendymac

I am considering this hotel for my pre-cruise stay next year - we would be staying two nights - is this a good choice? Is there stuff to do within walking distance as I don't want to rent a car for one day. Also is there a liquor store nearby? We want to get some wine to bring on board:D

IS this close to where you could take the water taxi? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you

This hotel is in downtown Fort Lauderdale. The hotel is fine and is within a few blocks to a mile from lots of places, as you can see below. However, it is not in an area that I would walk after dark. Living locally, I know 2 people who have been mugged in that area. The hotel is on a block where everything closes down at night for a few blocks around it, so I would take a cab after dark. Maybe the hotel will shuttle you within the area?

Within easy walking distance:

IMAX/Discovery Center

Museum of Art

Las Olas Riverfront (water taxi stop, multiplex cinema and a few restaurants and bars)

Broward Center for the Performing Arts

SW 2nd St bars and restaurants

Las Olas Blvd (water taxi stop, bars, restaurants, galleries, and boutiques)

For wine:

Publix on S. Andrews Ave (1/2 mile)

CVS on US 1 (a few blocks away)

This hotel is in downtown Fort Lauderdale. The hotel is fine and is within a few blocks to a mile from lots of places, as you can see below. However, it is not in an area that I would walk after dark. Living locally, I know 2 people who have been mugged in that area. The hotel is on a block where everything closes down at night for a few blocks around it, so I would take a cab after dark. Maybe the hotel will shuttle you within the area?

Within easy walking distance:

IMAX/Discovery Center

Museum of Art

Las Olas Riverfront (water taxi stop, multiplex cinema and a few restaurants and bars)

Broward Center for the Performing Arts

SW 2nd St bars and restaurants

Las Olas Blvd (water taxi stop, bars, restaurants, galleries, and boutiques)

For wine:

Publix on S. Andrews Ave (1/2 mile)

CVS on US 1 (a few blocks away)

Thank you for your help you are amazing with your help and tips on this board! The seedy area concerns me, is there another hotel that you would choose over this one - there are going to be 7 of us with varying budgets so - this year we stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66, but our travelling companions found that to be too expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you walk with a large group you will be safer. It's not the worst part of town, but the worst part isn't far, and it's just isolated at night because it's near the office buildings and nothing else. I love the downtown area but the only other hotel in the area is the Riverside Hotel. Prices start at $204/night for your dates.

Bahia Mar rates start at $142/night for your dates, and it is right across the street from the beach and not too far to walk to the beachfront restaurants.

But consider this..........http://www.alhambrabeachresort.com/ I recently discovered the Alhambra, which is 1/2 block from the beach, really close to the shops and bars/restaurants, and gets great reviews...rooms start at under $100/night and they even have 2 br apts for less than $200/night. It is small and might be perfect if your whole group stays there. We've stayed at similar places with groups of friends in the Keys and we always have fun hanging out on the property together. They give you breakfast and have a heated pool.

Archived