are there any enrichment speakers out there?

DCguys

I recently got approved/accepted by one of the agencies that books cruise lecturers or "enrichment speakers." I'm an art historian.

I likely won't go out on my first "job" until next spring/summer, but I'd really like to hear from other speakers. Are there certain lines that treat their speakers better or have better accommodations? Any tips? Any funny experiences? What do you wish someone had told you before your first time?

(sorry if this is the wrong CC section for this kind of question)

While i'm not a speaker, my last cruise on Princess i took some computer classes. The gal teaching them and I had a lengthy conversation about her traveling with Princess and teaching. She had been doing it for 3 years and loved it. She said shes's been able to see the world and she was teaching on the ships to find a place to retire to. Good for you that you have such a great opportunity.

I recently got approved/accepted by one of the agencies that books cruise lecturers or "enrichment speakers." I'm an art historian.

I likely won't go out on my first "job" until next spring/summer, but I'd really like to hear from other speakers. Are there certain lines that treat their speakers better or have better accommodations? Any tips? Any funny experiences? What do you wish someone had told you before your first time?

(sorry if this is the wrong CC section for this kind of question)

Hi, it can be GREAT fun. There are a couple of caveats as to how to do this, but I do not want to get into that on the thread. Email me at cruisespeaker @ comcast.net for an off line discussion.

I have spoken on both Royal Caribbean and Princess (see attached picture). Since I still have a full time job I do not do this as nearly as much as I would like, but. . . In fact, I was on the Freedom of the Seas in February 2011 and will be doing 2 seven day B2B on the Grand Princess this December.

email me.

Happy sailing!

Patrick

eddieandmesmall.jpg.f02dfd1986fd5590c2105d79e2dbda5e.jpg

While i'm not a speaker, my last cruise on Princess i took some computer classes. The gal teaching them and I had a lengthy conversation about her traveling with Princess and teaching. She had been doing it for 3 years and loved it. She said shes's been able to see the world and she was teaching on the ships to find a place to retire to. Good for you that you have such a great opportunity.

Generally your computer classes, photo classes, ceramic classes, etc. are taught by individuals or companies who contract with the cruise lines for several months, or more, at a time. Typically your destination and enrichment speakers are individuals who book one cruise at a time.

That is not to say companies don't have longer time contracts. I know the Smithstonian has contracted to provide different speakers for a longer period on specific itineraries.

But there are ALWAYS far more cruises than there are speakers.

Pat

Hi, it can be GREAT fun. There are a couple of caveats as to how to do this, but I do not want to get into that on the thread. Email me at cruisespeaker @ comcast.net for an off line discussion.

I have spoken on both Royal Caribbean and Princess (see attached picture). Since I still have a full time job I do not do this as nearly as much as I would like, but. . . In fact, I was on the Freedom of the Seas in February 2011 and will be doing 2 seven day B2B on the Grand Princess this December.

email me.

Happy sailing!

Patrick

I find this very interesting, and I wish you would "get into it on this thread".

I would love to learn more about this, so please reconsider.

Could you tell us a little about the arrangements?

Any info would be appreciated.

I find this very interesting, and I wish you would "get into it on this thread".

I would love to learn more about this, so please reconsider.

Could you tell us a little about the arrangements?

Any info would be appreciated.

I do not usually use a booking agency. It depends upon the cruise line. There is one guy I work through who "books" for pittance, but I cannot talk about him here because it would be a commercial and Cruise Critic wants no commercials. He does teach how and with whom you can book direct and sets up the initial contacts.

The terms and conditions the cruise lines (those I have worked with) sets with the individual speakers include "do not divulge" clauses, so I cannot talk about them here either.

Sorry

Patrick

I do not usually use a booking agency. It depends upon the cruise line. There is one guy I work through who "books" for pittance, but I cannot talk about him here because it would be a commercial and Cruise Critic wants no commercials. He does teach how and with whom you can book direct and sets up the initial contacts.

The terms and conditions the cruise lines (those I have worked with) sets with the individual speakers include "do not divulge" clauses, so I cannot talk about them here either.

Sorry

Patrick

Thanks for responding, and I appreciate the confidentiality of such things.

However, I find it interesting, and would be more interested in hearing about your services, what do you speak about and present, how many times on a cruise do you do so, do you stay on for the whole cruise, or do you do your gig, and then fly home, does anyone (friend or SO) accompany you, how often do you do this, etc.

Also, I would imagine you have had some great experiences (and maybe not so great) that everyone would like to hear about.

email me.

Happy sailing!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I'll email you offline now (can you not send PMs on Cruise Critic?). Any insight would be great.

I worked for the Smithsonian for several years and was approved as a lecturer, but never got to take a cruise because I got a great new job elsewhere first. It did put the idea in my head so I started to pursue it on my own.

I am now working with an agency - there are several you can find online if you just google it. :D

A close friend I worked with at the Smithsonian loved doing it and encouraged me. She especially liked working with Regent.

Thanks for responding, and I appreciate the confidentiality of such things.

However, I find it interesting, and would be more interested in hearing about your services, what do you speak about and present, how many times on a cruise do you do so, do you stay on for the whole cruise, or do you do your gig, and then fly home, does anyone (friend or SO) accompany you, how often do you do this, etc.

Also, I would imagine you have had some great experiences (and maybe not so great) that everyone would like to hear about.

Since I still work full time, I cruise only 2-3 times a year, in the Caribbean. I live in Florida and cruise out of Florida and stay on for the full cruise. I do know that on LONG cruises some cruise lines will have different speakers do only part of the cruise - say like 7-10 days on a 20+ day cruise, but that is not written in stone.

Topics depend upon the cruise line and the itinerary. Destination topics must be about the itinerary stops or directly related to itinerary. For instance, I rarely speak to the islands I stop at, but I do cover general history or culture of the general areas. Some cruise lines want enrichment only (photography, astronomy, computers, origami, how to make things, etc.). I have found they do not want controversial subjects or, unless you are on a theme cruise given by actuarials (for example), topics about economics or items that would depress the other cruisers.

Generally you can bring a friend.

Don't "sell" your services, but if you have authored a book, a number of cruise lines will let you sell it on board through the gift shop (ship gets a cut) but you must carry on and off you inventory and it must be arranged way beforehand, so do not expect to show up with stuff. The type of cabin you get and any perks are totally dependent upon the cruise line and is covered under confidentiality rules.

Usually you pay for your own transportation to and from the ship, although I have been offered round trip airfare for myself (unfortunately, I could not fit it into my schedule). Again, transportation is dependent upon the cruise line, how much they think of you, and how much they really want a speaker on a particular itinerary.

Although, when you contract one cruise at a time, you are not an employee but a subcontractor, but the passengers are not really going to see you that way - you represent the cruise line and your behavior and conversations will be viewed as a reflection of the cruise line. Always be positive and if you must have a conversation through gritted teeth, do not let it show :)

There is more - but - to view some of my topics, my web site (which sorely needs updating) is infoenterprises dot com (not selling anything).

Patrick

Archived