grand bahama dolphin swim

neen1123

I will be crusing on rrcl in august. I was wondering if the grand bahama dolphin swim is recommended. Do you actually get to ride on their fins? does the crew take pictures? is 20 minutes in the water enough? or would you recommend a swim and snorkel with the dolphins in cozumel instead?

thanks!

The dolphin experience is great! I didn't do this as a cruise excursion but I visit freeport regularly. After you register at the harbor. You travel by boat (about 30 minutes) with about 20 or so people to a hidden cove where they keep the dolphins. You sit on the floating docks surrounding the water pen as they give a demonstration and the dolphins perform tricks right up close. It's phenomenal! After the demonstration in groups of two's the instructors allow the spectators to enter the water standing on an underwater plank that is about waist high in water. They instruct the dolphins to swim up to you so you can pet and stroke them on their backs while a guide is watching and taming the dolphin. I guess this is for safety reasons. As harmless as they may seem, they are still considered wild animals. This "petting" experience lasts for about 5 minutes. Technically, you do not "swim" with the dolphins but this is a great experience and I highly recommend it. I do not know of any other dolphin experience that lets you go that close to the dolphins without actually swimming with them. I never tried any other dolphin experience so I do not know if there are better ones out there in cozumel or other places. However, if you know of a place that allows you to swim on the backs of dolphins for 20 minutes, then heck yeah! Sign up for it! I'd do it!

Does Grand Bahama take you to Dolphin Encounters too?

That is the one we did from Nassau and it was fantastic!! They have the option that was posted above, plus they have a swim option where the dolphins push your feet like you are waterskiing and all that.

Archived