opening balcony dividers

Fenten

My family has booked 6 balcony cabins in a row on deck 8 on Allure. Wondering what are the rules regarding opening up the balcony dividers? Can we open up all the dividers to make 1 big balcony? Can they stay open for the entire cruise?

Thanks.

It's at the discretion of the Captain.

The official policy had been that they will only open dividers between true connecting cabins, for "security reasons". But, many people were able to get the dividers between non-connecting cabins opened anyway, while others have had their request denied. (In this instance, greasing palms doesn't not work because the decision comes from the Captain and the Head of Housekeeping for that sailing, and not your steward based on a tip)

Recently (like the last two months or so), it was reported here on CC that the policy has changed and they will no longer open dividers at all.

However, people have been coming back from recent cruises reporting that it was no problem - they asked and it was opened for them. Others have said that their request was denied.

So, there is no consistency. You can ask, and hopefully they will allow it, but be prepared for them to say that it's the Captain's policy on that sailing not to allow any dividers to be opened.

Note: We were on Allure at the end of August. The divider between my children's Central Park Balcony and the neighboring cabin (who we did not know, and were not traveling with) was opened. So apparently, it was allowed on the previous sailing, and was not closed afterwards. We didn't notice until the second or third day, and then our cabin steward promptly closed it.

In previous threads on this subject it seems like the denials mostly came from the OV balcony cabins and not so much the inside ones. Seems like I remember people reporting that the reasoning for the denials were either fire safety and/or security related.

My family will be on the Allure in 18 days. We have connecting balcony rooms on the hump that are ocean view. My fingers are crossed that it's not an issue for us and we will have the panel opened between the two rooms!

We are also hoping for a lounger on each balcony but that's a different thread and crap shoot all together!

Archived