Ochos Rios - Dunns and Mystic Mountain Questions

jazzinj

Hi there,

I read lots of great information on this forum, now looking for some specific recommendations:

Based on what I've read, I think I've narrowed down our excursion wish list to Dunns River Falls and Mystic Mountain.

1. Is this realistic to do in 5-6 hours?

2. Do I need to hire a private tour/driver if this is all I want to do?

3. I was looking at the Mystic Mountain website and I can't seem to find age, height, or weight restrictions for any of the attractions - does anyone know what they are? I have two kids, age 13 and 9, so if there's something that all of us can't do I would like to know in advance (and might need to change plans)

4. Has anyone spent the day at Mystic Mountain? Can you tell me your experience?

5. Lastly - considering that DRF is the primary "must do" for us, do you think Mystic Mountain is a good add on, or would you highly recommend something else?

This will be our first time in Ochos Rios (Jamaica, Caribbean...)

Thank you!

J

I can't answer most of your questions because I haven't done Mystic Mountain. In all honesty though, most excursions combine Dunn's with something else because it really doesn't take that long to climb the falls.

I went there as a part of a different excursion and think that we were at the falls for about 1.5hrs max. You will most likely have time to do both.

For Jamaica, I would feel more comfortable booking everything in advance thru a reputable tour operator if you can or directly with the cruiseline vs. showing up and hopping in a cab.

What cruiseline are you taking? I think you may be able to find an excursion through your cruiseline that combines all of it. If you are only in port for 5-6 hours and the excursion times they are giving you are 5-6 hours I would book it through the cruiseline (if it is available thru them) just in case something gets delayed.

I can't answer most of your questions because I haven't done Mystic Mountain. In all honesty though, most excursions combine Dunn's with something else because it really doesn't take that long to climb the falls.

I went there as a part of a different excursion and think that we were at the falls for about 1.5hrs max. You will most likely have time to do both.

For Jamaica, I would feel more comfortable booking everything in advance thru a reputable tour operator if you can or directly with the cruiseline vs. showing up and hopping in a cab.

What cruiseline are you taking? I think you may be able to find an excursion through your cruiseline that combines all of it. If you are only in port for 5-6 hours and the excursion times they are giving you are 5-6 hours I would book it through the cruiseline (if it is available thru them) just in case something gets delayed.

Thanks - we're cruising on NCL, and the longest excursion offered is 5 hours. The combinations that are offered aren't the combos that I want, though, which is why I am looking to use an independent touring company. If we weren't doing Mystic Mountain I was considering using Marks Tours, recommended by a few CCers here, or one of the other recommended tour guides, but I was leaning towards the adventurous theme of Mystic Mountain.

I was thinking of using Rainforest Adventures - they seem to be the main tour operator for Mystic Mountain, and they mention that there is a DFR add-on. Has anyone used them before? Also, still looking for more input about Mystic Mountain, please...

Archived